Notes from Queen Mary 2 to the Med (& back)

Host Hattie

Marseille

I was feeling a bit jaded this morning so I had a nap after room service breakfast. I dragged myself up and we got the shuttle bus into Marseille. There was no wait and it was included for everyone today. The ride was around 20 minutes and thedrop off point was by the old harbour. We got 9€ tickets for the mini train. It was fairly full so we couldn't sit together but that seemed a better option than waiting.
As it was they were running fairly quickly. There were lovely views out to sea, the harbour and at the viewpoint by Notre Dame de la Garde.
We stopped for a snack and a drink at one of the many restaurants lining the port and then got the shuttle bus back. 2 arrived at once so there was no wait.
It was Gala night so I was disappointed to miss it but Mr HH reported back that the food was excellent and we had the same neighbours. Meanwhile I watched Tár on the cabin television.
Just in case anyone is wondering, I've taken a Covid test and it was negative.

20230615_120623.jpg

20230615_130401.jpg

• Like 11

Calvi

Our first tender port so there was no rush to get ready. We headed to the theatre for about 11.20, I was a bit surprised that it was so busy. They were calling tickets 21 and we had 30. It took about an hour from getting to the theatre to getting ashore.

Just popping in here to add my thoughts so far.

Firstly, hope that you are feeling better today Hattie.

Food in QG has been mainly excellent, with a couple of misses. Hits have been the dover sole (better than I remembered), lobster (cooked table side which was delicious) and peking duck. Misses were the chateaubriand and lamb rack (both quite chewy).

We've been on 2 ship organised excursions, both of which were so-so. The first was from Vigo and was to a castle and 2 gardens, including a vineyard. The gardens were pleasant, but nothing special and the day dragged on (for us) as the guide described how beautiful the gardens usually looked when the camellias were in bloom, (the subtext I think being as compared to the rather raggedy appearance when we visited). The second was A day in Provence with lunch which started well with a very engaging guide and some spectacular scenery and pretty villages. It all went a bit downhill as 2 coach loads of us filed into a very bland communal dining room in a down at heel hotel and spent about 2 hours waiting for a school dinner type lunch to be served. At the end of it, we were told they had run out of tea and coffee - which was actually a blessing as it meant we could leave! However, so much time had been spent there that we had to forgo the next stop, other than a 5 min photo opp, and head back back to the ship which was disappointing.

We often don't bother with shows, but have been to most of them this time and have been very pleasantly surprised. The night before last we had an amazing pianist (Dominic Ferris) who we enjoyed very much. 

• Like 8

PS to previous notes - wifi (premium) continues to be excellent at all times, almost no difference to the speed we get at home. We only use it in the room though, so can't speak for around the ship.

• Like 4

Hello @DaisyUK,

If you get the chance can you try running "Speedtest by Ookla" to get a report of the internet speeds you are experiencing?

It can be found at speedtest.net on a browser, or you can download the app from App Store or Play Store.

Mercruiser took several readings a few weeks ago just before Starlink was installed, on this thread here:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D&N said:

Hello @DaisyUK,

If you get the chance can you try running "Speedtest by Ookla" to get a report of the internet speeds you are experiencing?

It can be found at speedtest.net on a browser, or you can download the app from App Store or Play Store.

Mercruiser took several readings a few weeks ago just before Starlink was installed, on this thread here:

Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 02.29.56.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope this works. I don't really understand download speeds etc. It doesn't look to be that fast compared with the link you posted from Mercruiser, but it seems plenty fast enough for us (2 devices). 

Hello, I am also on this very voyage. Love every minute of it. Did not run into HH. Thanks HH for reporting, very interessting- and a first to read a report from a voyage I am actually on board. 

I agree with everything HH wrote. The ship is in fine condition. Yes QM2 is in need for a litte paint work done, the hard North Atlantic takes its toll. 

I am quite happy with my single cabin on deck three. Love them. 

The Service , food etc. is wonderful- as always. 

Rome today and I am staying on board- or maybe a quick look around Civitavechia, not quite sure yet. 

Room Service breakfast is great. Had it for the first time ever on board any Cunard ship I was on. Love it. 

Glad to hear you test came out negativ, HH. 

Your pictures are great. Thanks for posting. Internet has improved a great deal- maybe due to Star Link. 

Greetings 

Michael

• Like 8

4 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Hope this works. I don't really understand download speeds etc. It doesn't look to be that fast compared with the link you posted from Mercruiser, but it seems plenty fast enough for us (2 devices). 

Thank you.

Mercruiser posted 5 tests with download ranging from 4.17 to 32.6. Yours is within that range.

What is much shorter are your "ping" times, which suggests your signal is getting to/from the server quicker and may be why you're getting good results.

I don't think Starlink is operating yet on QM2. The provider "Equinix" is the same in your test as in the earlier ones. I suspect off the Spanish coast and in the Med you have been getting a better satellite link. It might even be to do with atmospheric conditions somewhere on the 20,000 mile trip to the satellite.

The main thing is you're happy and can do what you need with it.

As mentioned in the location thread the Captain mentioned that this was a maiden call for QM2.

We watched Sailaway from our balcony and went straight to dinner, we had neighbours. They were first time cruisers who are disembarking tomorrow and have enjoyed themselves which is always good to hear.

We both had Sirloin Steak which was pretty tough. I haven't got my appetite back so I left about half while Mr HH struggled through his. Our waiter offered me an alternative and sent the Senior Waiter for our section.

This lead to a discussion about our dining arrangements. We got to a stalemate again as the only offer is to move us. We're halfway through the cruise and we like the table and the serving staff so a move is no use. He did say that they'd  try to fill the other 2 tables from now on so we'll see!

We had plenty of time to get to the theatre for the acrobatic show. 

20230616_204921.jpg

• Like 3

Hope everyone enjoys their day in port - this is one of our favourites & we always do the “Rome on your own” trip. Mr K loves Roman history and we always manage to find something new for him to photograph. Mind you, the photographs never subsequently see the light of day! 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

As mentioned in the location thread the Captain mentioned that this was a maiden call for QM2.

We watched Sailaway from our balcony and went straight to dinner, we had neighbours. They were first time cruisers who are disembarking tomorrow and have enjoyed themselves which is always good to hear.

We both had Sirloin Steak which was pretty tough. I haven't got my appetite back so I left about half while Mr HH struggled through his. Our waiter offered me an alternative and sent the Senior Waiter for our section.

This lead to a discussion about our dining arrangements. We got to a stalemate again as the only offer is to move us. We're halfway through the cruise and we like the table and the serving staff so a move is no use. He did say that they'd  try to fill the other 2 tables from now on so we'll see!

I frequently get the blame for ruining the steak by over cooking, these weren't over cooked, it was either the farmer's fault or cunard were serving the wrong cut. Mrs HH on her birthday last year sent her steak back for being "over cooked" and then went without, the chef refused to try again. Our dinner experience is not to our liking, the response so far seems to suggest the staff don't really understand the problem. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We opt for a table for 2 as we prefer not to be obliged to talk with people over the meal in the evening. Nowadays a lot of tables for 2 aren’t really as they are spaced 3 or 4 inches apart and are more like tables for 4 or 6. However the last cruises we have ‘hit it off’ with our immediate table neighbours and had a great time😊

• Like 3

Loving this thread!  Thanks to Host Hattie for starting it and posting every day.  Also for the opportunity to meet @Mr H. H.  And so fun to hear from others on board, too, and see everyone's photos.  I wish I were there.  

As a side note, the Insight lectures are much more appealing than what we were offered on QE last April. Shame about the tough steaks and lamb.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kynance said:

Hope everyone enjoys their day in port - this is one of our favourites & we always do the “Rome on your own” trip. Mr K loves Roman history and we always manage to find something new for him to photograph. Mind you, the photographs never subsequently see the light of day! 

I'm sorry to admit that we have stayed onboard today!

We had a relaxing morning on the balcony and then tried the Boardwalk cafe for the first time ever for lunch.  Not the best food on the ship but a nice location. 

The roof is shut in the Pavilion Pool so there was plenty of space there. The Grills Deck was almost completely empty and the maintenance crew were repairing some areas of deck.

Around 300 people have disembarked today with a similar number joining us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

First time to Italy for me today. I did the Rome and Sistine Chapel excursion. Walked loads today and suitably worn out. We had a brilliant guide. Rome was incredible and so glad that I didn't do the hop-on hop-off type of day because I wouldn't have known where to start. Looking forward to 2 sea days. 

• Like 5