Notes from Queen Mary 2 to the Med (& back)

Host Hattie

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Where are the tables and what happened to Mr. (Why isn’t he a Lord?) Payne?

I was going to ask about tables too.  Isn't this in the hallway next to the theater?We were on QM2 in 2013...I know I cannot believe it either!  But we used to go there and play backgammon for hours.  There must have been tables because we had to put the backgammon case on something.  I will have to see if I have pictures somewhere.  

Edited by alibabacruisers

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t see how you can possibly know this, but I shall ask. Do you think the queue was because they were a bit late starting disembarkation or because people were ignoring their allotted times?

It's highly likely quite a few people did not stick to their allotted times, but also there were some streams of people with various mobility issues being sent though officially to bypass the queue, and who were slower than others in getting scanned out and going along the air stair and corridors. So the queue built up quite a bit early on.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We tried and failed again in the Commodore Club, Champagne Bar and Chart Room pre-dinner ! Why do I always choose the cruises with the drinkers ?! 

Sir Samuels had the Chart Room menu out so we enjoyed the evening sunshine and a cocktail in the overflow!

The other 2 tables were occupied when we arrived so we had a sociable dinner. The  striploin steak was a bit easier to chew than the sirloin. 

I went to the Promenade Deck to take a photo of the last sunset of the cruise while Mr HH put the last case out. We went to the final show - Swing and a second helping of Mick Miller. 

We had a disembarkation time of 8.50 so I set my alarm for the first time in 2 weeks. 

We left the cabin on time, it took about 15 minutes to get off. 

We were collected by West Quay and taken back to the Montague Arms to collect our car and set off for home.

I'll post some final thoughts tomorrow. 

20230622_210512.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t see how you can possibly know this, but I shall ask. Do you think the queue was because they were a bit late starting disembarkation or because people were ignoring their allotted times?

The queue for disembarking QM2 seems to be the norm now. It was exactly the same when we disembarked on 2nd June. It snaked all around the ship and took ages to get off. There were many complaining to staff but all you got was I couldn't care less and not interested smile.

4 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

It's highly likely quite a few people did not stick to their allotted times, but also there were some streams of people with various mobility issues being sent though officially to bypass the queue, and who were slower than others in getting scanned out and going along the air stair and corridors. So the queue built up quite a bit early on.

mmmm doesn't make sense that they get people with mobility problems to disembark first.,...

When flying, we are first to board, but on arrival to destination, we always wait until the whole plane is empty, Our last cruise was over 10 years ago so my experience is ancient but,, among other disappointments about P&O on that route, the embark/disembark was terrible, chaotic is a light word to describe... at least you guys had a queue...

Thanks so much all of you who have been sharing the journey, welcome back 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 2:40 AM, ballroom-cruisers said:

Quick answer about dance hosts on this voyage. There is a couple who are official dance hosts, and they do indeed have badges, and have been dancing with anyone who needs a partner. Dancing has been fabulous and the Orchestra are superb musicians in the Queens Room, playing great music for dancing, including a wonderful Big Band night last night.

It's a glorious pleasant day today with lots of people relaxng on deck as we sail towards Barcelona. Great on the blog and pics, HH.

Thank you for your dancing information.

It used to be at least 6 dance hosts before the pandemic.

I have booked solo for the next summer hoping that the Cunard would bring the dance hosts program back.

2 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Thank you for your dancing information.

It used to be at least 6 dance hosts before the pandemic.

I have booked solo for the next summer hoping that the Cunard would bring the dance hosts program back.

It looks like the number of solo ladies who needed a partner was about balanced with the two dance hosts, who were a couple. Mind you they did have to dance all evening pretty much non-stop, which was pretty hard for the two of them.  However, some other solo ladies paired up with solo gentlemen, and that seemed to work out quite well, and several formed a stable dance couple for the rest of the cruise. It did not look like the previous custom of having six dance hosts would be returning any time soon, and it is not clear whether QV and QE will also have dance hosts, or whether that would be mostly QM2 now, and even then not on every voyage.  Still the Queen's Room was pretty well utilised with 12 of the 14 nights ballroom and Latin dancing all evening from dinner time onward. Some evenings there was live music until towards midnight, though it was thinning a bit by that time of night!  The other two nights were party nights - but there were as many staff disco dancers as passengers on those nights! I guess they didn't want the floor to appear empty! The ballroom dancers mostly went elsewhere on those two evenings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The majority have a lovely time on Cunard cruises.  I will be interested to see HH's overview when she has had time to recover back home.  We had a wonderful time on this cruise, and despite a few negatives, the positives outshone the negatives.  For us the food was occasionally somewhat lacklustre menu choices, and occasionally the meat was indeed tough or not cooked that well - but then again the maitre'd and head waiters do their best to order within the available budget, and sometimes they may have to change suppliers, which may turn out not the same quality as their previous supplier - but once tons of meat is on board they need to use it and move on. However there were other meals that were superb, with top quality meat, and cooked to perfection. 

The Queen's Room was for us a highlight - with a lovely dancing community, who gelled nicely, and couples as well as singles got to know each other as the voyage progressed. The Queens Room orchestra played well most of the time, even if they got some songs not at the right tempo or not at the right phrasing for the dance they were intending to play for.

The deck life was nice - with pretty good weather, even if a bit windy at times, and having the ship hardly have the slightest movement with slight swell at most, was fabulous.  The ports were nice, with Calvi and Cadiz a real highlight, and even the city of Vigo is actually a lovely place to walk around as the first port of call after leaving Southampton.

We met quite a few American passengers who were doing the full 35 night round trip from New York to include the four separate voyages, many saying it was a wonderful way to avoid having to go to any airports.

A few people did have Covid on board, but unless you actually knew about it from someone directly involved, passengers would not have been aware that a few were isolating in their own cabins. There were some coughs, and we were told a few cases of norovirus too, but an enhanced hygiene protocol came in and no significant transmission then occurred, with protocols coming back down quietly when it was clear there was no large problem.

So overall a lovely cruise, and a lot of happy smiling passengers.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo
  • Like 6

On 6/23/2023 at 4:37 PM, majortom10 said:

The queue for disembarking QM2 seems to be the norm now. It was exactly the same when we disembarked on 2nd June. It snaked all around the ship and took ages to get off. There were many complaining to staff but all you got was I couldn't care less and not interested smile.

The queue was simply because lots of people ignored their allocated time. We had a 8.00 am time, it was impossible to get a lift on 9 as they were full with people from above. Yet 8 am should be predominantly QG from deck 9. When we eventually got to deck 2 gangway, no one was checking times just waving everyone through.  It should be made clear if you come before allocated time made to wait. Clearly just wanted people off.

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

The queue was simply because lots of people ignored their allocated time. We had a 8.00 am time, it was impossible to get a lift on 9 as they were full with people from above. Yet 8 am should be predominantly QG from deck 9. When we eventually got to deck 2 gangway, no one was checking times just waving everyone through.  It should be made clear if you come before allocated time made to wait. Clearly just wanted people off.

Why would QG come from Deck 9?

I don’t think making people wait is very good customer relations, and could be dangerous if it led to more blockages.