Changing Euros

LoveBora

We will be sailing throughout Europe on the Splendor. We will already have Euros with us, but will reception on the Splendor be able to change our larger bills for smaller Euros, such as coins? Thank you. 

Thank you for your responses. I had an idea that coins would be a problem, but small bills would be helpful. Well, the front desk either will, or they won’t, so we’ll just have to figure something out if they won’t. No worries, though. 

We were on a  2+ month grand voyage in Europe last year on Splendor. They were able to break larger euro bills early on, but for the last 6 weeks or so of the voyage, they could not do so. They only had larger bills in euros. We asked why not, and the odd answer was that the ship wasn’t going to be in the euro zone long enough to make it worthwhile. Even though it would be in that area for several more weeks.

Yeah, I know.

18 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

We were on a  2+ month grand voyage in Europe last year on Splendor. They were able to break larger euro bills early on, but for the last 6 weeks or so of the voyage, they could not do so. They only had larger bills in euros. We asked why not, and the odd answer was that the ship wasn’t going to be in the euro zone long enough to make it worthwhile. Even though it would be in that area for several more weeks.

Yeah, I know.

We got off a Splendor European cruise just a few weeks ago.  It was just a two week cruise.  The first few days, they were ready and willing to break a larger bill.  After that, we were told they didn't have smaller bills.  It was a very port intensive cruise (only 1 at sea day), so I'm guessing they can't go to a bank and get change if they don't have an account. 

11 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

If you are staying in a hotel before the cruise you can probably also get some change at the hotel front desk. We did that last month in Athens. A hotel desk probably has some coins too. 

Alas, our cruise begins in Iceland, so no hope of getting Euros there. 

17 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I have several hundred euros from my last cruise. We will be in the Caribbean next fall on Mariner. Will I  be able to exchange them for US dollars onboard?

sheila

I don't believe they exchange money.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I have several hundred euros from my last cruise. We will be in the Caribbean next fall on Mariner. Will I  be able to exchange them for US dollars onboard?

sheila

They only have Euros when sailing in Europe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

I don’t know the answer but it wouldn’t surprise me if you will be able. As a service to their American customers they will exchange dollars for euros on European cruises. It would not surprise me if, as a service to their European customers (and Americans with extra euros), they would exchange euros for dollars. 

In my experience the exchange rate is pretty bad though. 

• Like 1

Are there any Europeans on your cruise who will exchange your dollars for Euros at an agreed exchange rate.
We have done this in different currencies with people we have shared tours with, chatted on the roll call or simply met on the cruise.
Granted the first time it happened was on an Asian cruise where lots of different currencies came into play and  some people we had lost to at Trivia  

( a frequent occurrence unfortunately)  were stuck but we have also done this on a European cruise where we were sharing several excursions with a couple and  it worked well.
We always keep a supply of Euros and dollars particularly small notes and useful coins to avoid this if possible as coins in any currency are not supplied here when exchanging money. 
To be honest we also have a collection of notes we are probably never likely to use again and some obsolete notes as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

If you are stopping in St Barts or St. Martin you could exchange there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

They don’t exchange them onboard.

On 6/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

Depending on your itinerary you may find you visit some French/Euro islands in the Caribbean - St Barts, Guadeloupe, Martinique all use the Euro.