Got a call from a hyper-aggressive MSC "Cruise Concierge" this morning...

Stockjock

I was cooking breakfast when MSC called.  I answered, since I have 2 booked cruises with them.

The guy referenced a cruise I've been looking at, where I went through the booking process but didn't complete it.  I'm just not loving the pricing at the moment.

While I can appreciate aggressiveness to a certain extent, since I'm sort of in sales (w/a big Wall Street firm), there does come a point where it's annoying and overkill.

Told the guy that I wasn't ready to book and had breakfast on the stove (Soyrizo & eggs, true story).

MSC: Why wouldn't you book right now?

Me: I'm just not ready.

MSC: What are you open to?

Me: I'm not sure, just looking around.  Hey, appreciate the call but I have breakfast on the stove and have to go.

MSC: You've got to give me more than that!  I mean, what would you consider?

Me: Not sure, but again I have to go since I'm cooking breakfast.

MSC: I mean are you open to a world cruise?

Me: No.

MSC: See then, you *do* know!  You've got to work with me here.

Me: As I said, I really do have to run.

MSC: What would it take to book this Northern Europe cruise right now?

Me: I'm not ready to do that.  That's why I didn't book it.

MSC: You started to book it.

Me: Yes, but I didn't complete the process.  But I do have to run.

MSC: But hey, I'm asking you.  What would it take?

Me: Okay, I'll give you an answer.  If they offered me the same price with the drink package as without, I would book today.

MSC: C'mon, that's not going to happen!  I would hope that drinks wouldn't be the reason that you wouldn't book your cruise vacation.

Me: Pricing is the issue, but as I mentioned, I have breakfast on the stove and I have to go.

MSC: (Click)

I thought the guy pretty well put used car salesmen to shame, lol.  Also not thrilled that MSC calls their in-house travel agents "MSC Concierge", because it could easily confuse people and that's really not what they are at all.

The-Secrets-of-Selling-Like-a-Skeazy-Slimy-Used-Car-Salesman.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

When a sales person has me on the phone and is using the tried-and-true method of, "just keep him talking by asking questions", I do the following after answering the last question I choose to answer: 

Take the phone away from your ear.

That way if the sales person keeps talking, you don't hear them. This makes hanging up a few seconds later much, much easier. (And no, this isn't rude on your part. Sales people are paid on commission. It is actually to their benefit that their unproductive call to you ends as soon as possible, so that they can get to another, possibly commission-earning and productive call)

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My experience with the concierge service has been completely different. So far, no complaints from me.

This guy was far and away, the most aggressive that I have spoken with. The others have been much nicer and got off the phone quickly, although I still don’t really see the point of their in-house travel agent because I don’t see how they can do anything special for me. if I was going to choose a travel agent, I would likely pick one that offered some specific perk or benefit. 

But as I’ve said, before, I understand how MSC operates, and if I were a travel agent, I would not want to deal with them.  In fact, I’m not sure I would wish that upon my enemies, lol.

Edited by Stockjock

The experience I had last Octobet (I think) was a bit similar except I wanted the call as I was ready to book but I wanted to negotiate on the price.

The guy was friendly enough but it was clear he was very motivated to get me to book there and then. 

What's the point of booking with a cruise concierge if they have no leeway to throw in perks like a drinks package?  You can do the booking yourself...or go through a TA who will at least give you OBC to play with.  Too pushy for me...you hung on longer than I would have under the circumstances...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

What's the point of booking with a cruise concierge if they have no leeway to throw in perks like a drinks package?

In my case, what worked for me was the concierge's ability to kick out the people (TAs, typical guests, whatever) who had put a hold on a suite that I wanted for a holiday cruise. It's common for people to put a hold on something without actually putting down a deposit and completing the reservation/booking for holiday cruises. TAs are known to hold suites "just in case" one of their favored clientele decides to book a cruise for a holiday like Christmas, New Year's, etc. The holds were there for several days (I tried to book by myself as I usually do) but nobody had actually completed the booking. 

The concierge could see that the suite wasn't actually booked but was just being held. The concierge wiped out the holds and took my deposit within minutes and I'm now booked. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whenever I get a sales call I will go into a sales pitch myself.  I will ask them about the condition of the roof on his or her house because my company is offering excellent pricing along with favorable financing (I don't work with roofing or any type of construction).  It usually doesn't take too long to get the person to hang up on me, plus, it's a lot of fun to screw with them.

• Haha 3

Um, the fact that it continued as long as it did was because you let it. Whenever I get a call like this, I simply say "I'm sorry, I'm not ready to book right now. Have a nice day. Goodbye." and hang up. Doesn't matter if they start talking or anything or try to interrupt. After too many sales calls over the years I'm very direct and don't let them keep me on the phone.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Davet2016 said:

Whenever I get a sales call I will go into a sales pitch myself.  I will ask them about the condition of the roof on his or her house because my company is offering excellent pricing along with favorable financing (I don't work with roofing or any type of construction).  It usually doesn't take too long to get the person to hang up on me, plus, it's a lot of fun to screw with them.

I use to ask if they will install a moat for my alligators. That works also.

• Haha 2