Is Royal Caribbean building any small ships?

I'm a little concerned what is going to happen if these small ships like the radiance class age out and i'm wondering if royal caribbean is building new ones. Not all of us like these big ships. I'm also from Vancouver and the big ships can't go under the bridge.

• Like 7

I think the market is changing for cruise companies. The ship is the destination esp for the weekly cash cows to coco cay.

However that said, there may be a market for more modern smaller ships esp if ports are limiting the number of large ships that can dock.

But i dont think the maths for royals business model adds up for a smaller ship, sub 3k guests. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I'm a little concerned what is going to happen if these small ships like the radiance class age out and i'm wondering if royal caribbean is building new ones. Not all of us like these big ships. I'm also from Vancouver and the big ships can't go under the bridge.

Project Discovery has been talked about by ship Captains.  The new ships will be around the Voyager and Edge class ships size wise.  Nothing as small as Radiance or Vision class.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

Cruise ship industry is doomed then. Some ports will tolerate these big ships like poor countries in the caribbean but others won't. I thought there was already chatter about monterey and key west limiting cruise ships. Bar Harbour has said no altogether.

• Like 3

Keep in mind they may move their smaller ship operations to other brands such as Celebrity.  There seems to be a push to get independent older folks onto those kinds of brands so they can focus on family groups and big spenders. While I don’t like this strategy (although i am a big ship guy myself) it makes sense from their point of view. 

As for the ports, I think they are at the mercy of the cruise lines, not the other way around. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Cruise ship industry is doomed then. Some ports will tolerate these big ships like poor countries in the caribbean but others won't. I thought there was already chatter about monterey and key west limiting cruise ships. Bar Harbour has said no altogether.

I do not think this will be a case. I see some ports like Baltimore losing ships as larger ships cannot sail from there.

I think what you wished in the latest post is counterproductive. If RCI loses with large ships there is a possibility it won't be able to sail smaller ships too. They are in business to make money.

I see Caribbean ports extending capacity for larger ships. Many are btw not as poor as before anymore.

St Kitts, Nassau (Bahamas).

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

What is considered smaller to you?  Virgin is building ships around the 110k GT size.  NCL and Celebrity are building around 130k-140k GT size.  I think its a little crazy to say the whole industry is doomed because Royal is building 200k GT ships.  

8 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Maybe i'll ask on holland america board if they are building any small ships. Maybe the solution is to switch cruise lines,

They are not building smaller ships. All newbuilds are around 100K tons.

HAL is a very different line targeting different market.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Oops we posted at same time! Yes just wondering what other cruise lines are doing. As i said, having a bit of a cranky day.😀

Holland doesn't have a ship over 100K GT.  So yes.  If you want a newer smaller ship, they may be the best to give a try.  Their last was in 2021 and was just about the Radiance class size ships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Another decade and most small ships will be gone. Ports have two choices, mega ships or nothing. Ports are doomed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I guess i should get cruising then! I disagree but maybe these small ships will be made more expensive. Interested in what princess is building as well.

Just think about when these ships came out, a “small” ship was something like Empress of the Seas which was under 50k GT.  Now we might consider the Voyager and Freedom class “small”. I suppose it is all relative in the end. 

48 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I guess i should get cruising then! I disagree but maybe these small ships will be made more expensive. Interested in what princess is building as well.

Well, the reason they are being built is that the economies of scale make them cheaper to operate per passenger.  For example, a ship twice as big doesn't need twice as many shows, it just needs more seats.  

57 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Princess is not building small ships. I think their new-builds are around 130K.

Even Celebrity has new ships about this size. They have small ships even new ones, but they are for Galapagos islands. Prices... well, not for average massmarket person.