Can Luggage be dropped at Manhattan Cruise Terminal before boarding?

2 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Hi, arriving at LGA at 0930 for cruise on Oceania.

When our ride drops us off at cruise terminal, can we drop off our bags until boarding time?

Are there porters to watch it?

Many thanks!

I've sailed a number of times from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and at least twice dropped off our bags (other than small carry-ons) and headed over to 6th Ave to meet my brother for lunch.  Bags that you leave with the porters/longshoremen are not just "watched", they are taken on board and you will next see them in your cabin.

On this 9/13 sailing we plan to board as soon after we show up as possible.

Bon voyage.

4 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

HI NBT!

Thanks for the info!

Is there a place you particularly like to have lunch at?

Is there a good NY smoked meat sandwich anywhere near the Cruise Terminal?

Hey, it's 3 months from TODAY!!!!!

I used to meet my brother at Bobby  Van’s on West 50th - but it’s been several years, rarely go into the city now except for evening theatre .   Junior’s at 1626 Broadway , about 49th Street , probably about a mile and a half straight east from MCT - good for corned beef, pastrami etc. sandwiches.

15 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

HI NBT!

Thanks for the info!

Is there a place you particularly like to have lunch at?

Hey, it's 3 months from TODAY!!!!!

I just checked - there is a sandwich shop selling smoked meat sandwiches - United We Stand- just two (long) blocks from the cruise terminal at 10th Avenue and 54th Street.  I have no idea about how “good”, and still recommend  Juniors if you have the time and a serious interest in really good sandwiches.

16 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Do you really want "smoked meat"? In Canada you eat smoked meat. In New York, we eat pastrami.

Unfortunately there aren't any decent pastrami sandwiches to be found close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. You could try Junior's as NBT suggests, but I don't find their food to be all that good. Katz's or the 2nd Ave Deli are far better, but a long way from the cruise terminal. A compromise in distance might be Ben's Kosher Deli on West 38th St. near 7th Ave, but it's still not all that close.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You could try Junior's as NBT suggests, but I don't find their food to be all that good. Katz's or the 2nd Ave Deli are far better, but a long way from the cruise terminal.

Agree on Juniors-- not very good and certainly not worth the effort. If you want the best pastrami/corned beef in the city jump in a cab or Uber and go to Katz's. As close second would be Pastrami Queen-- there is one on the West Side on 72nd St-- still going to need a cab/uber but it will take about 10-15 minutes to get to vs more like 25-30 with Katz's. 

54 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Agree on Juniors-- not very good and certainly not worth the effort. If you want the best pastrami/corned beef in the city jump in a cab or Uber and go to Katz's. As close second would be Pastrami Queen-- there is one on the West Side on 72nd St-- still going to need a cab/uber but it will take about 10-15 minutes to get to vs more like 25-30 with Katz's. 

Juniors, even the original in Brooklyn is equivalent to diner food I would say. 

Katz but it might be slammed, agree with the rest above. 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Do you really want "smoked meat"? In Canada you eat smoked meat. In New York, we eat pastrami.

Unfortunately there aren't any decent pastrami sandwiches to be found close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. You could try Junior's as NBT suggests, but I don't find their food to be all that good. Katz's or the 2nd Ave Deli are far better, but a long way from the cruise terminal. A compromise in distance might be Ben's Kosher Deli on West 38th St. near 7th Ave, but it's still not all that close.

Agree about Katz’s - but we are talking about something near MCT.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Do you really want "smoked meat"? In Canada you eat smoked meat. In New York, we eat pastrami. Unfortunately there aren't any decent pastrami sandwiches to be found close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

If I could get smoked meat in New York I would run there . . . closest place I know is in Montréal. In New York City good pastrami at reasonable prices was at places like Pastrami King, in Kew Gardens, Queens, and Ben's Best, in Rego Park, Queens, both now closed. I might go to Mill Basin Deli, in Brooklyn, but that's a long trip from Manhattan. Katz's, on the lower east side of Manhattan, is good but overpriced and poor service. Second Avenue Deli (now on East 33rd Street between Lexington Avenue and Third Avenue in midtown) has also been good, at least in years past, better service than Katz's but still pricey. My understanding is that Pastrami Queen was initially established in Manhattan by the then former management of Pastrami King in Kew Gardens upon its closing, so that's a good sign. But I have not been there and cannot vouch for it as to its present management and quality.

Edited by GTJ

27 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Last time I was in NYC, early 2000s, I was lucky enough to get to Carnegie's, YUM!

Pastrami Queen on 72nd St will be a similar commute from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to what Carnegie Deli would have been by taxi/Uber. Both Pastrami Queen and Katz's are better than what Carnegie was back in the day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Both Pastrami Queen and Katz's are better than what Carnegie was back in the day. 

Carnegie Deli is a tourist trap.

8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Pastrami Queen on 72nd St will be a similar commute from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to what Carnegie Deli would have been by taxi/Uber. Both Pastrami Queen and Katz's are better than what Carnegie was back in the day. 

I didn't realize that Pastrami Queen has a location on the Upper West Side. I was only aware of their location on the Upper East Side.

Edited by njhorseman

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I didn't realize that Pastrami Queen has a location on the Upper West Side. I was only aware of their location on the Upper East Side.

72nd and Broadway. It's actually their larger location where they do their catering orders from. I too only knew about the shoebox one at 78th and Lex. Only found out about the Upper West Side one when I placed a lunch order for the office a few months ago. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I don't think it's right to recommend a restaurant that isn't very good just because it's close to the cruise terminal.

If someone wants info about restaurants close to the cruise terminal, discussing ones far away is not particularly helpful - regardless of how good they might be.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If someone wants info about restaurants close to the cruise terminal, discussing ones far away is not particularly helpful - regardless of how good they might be.

I clearly said that Katz's was far away.

You didn't say that the pastrami at Junior's isn't very good.

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I clearly said that Katz's was far away.

You didn't say that the pastrami at Junior's isn't very good.

I liked it, I do not feel it was so unsatisfactory as to be unmentionable.

Then, of course, I do not claim to be a highly qualified pastrami aficionado.