Anyone know why Norwegian has cancelled its remaining stops in Valdez?

quack2

(Yes, I posted on Norwegian forum already)

Apparently Norwegian has cancelled its remaining port stops this year in Valdez.  Does anyone know why?

Its caused three other days to be moved around on my June 21-28 cruise.  Norwegian isn't talking, but CLA schedule shows the changes.

https://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/All-Alaska-Ports-All-Vessels-2023.pdf

Now I'm scrambling to rebook my one private excursion and wondering when NCL will post post excursions for our new port stop of Sitka.

• Like 1

I have no idea about why but I will comment about Valdez versus Sitka.  Both are great ports.  Valdez is neat and an advantage of it is that it and the town has not been ruined by Monstrosities of the Seas visits.  Sitka is one of the best stops on the general port stop circuit which does not get hit as often as s the other towns on the circuit that get hit by 2 or 3 Monstrosity ships with regularity.  For example I  do not think that Sitka has any of the over hyped chain jewelry stores as the other ports.  Your trade off of Sitka versus Valdez is not a bad trade off.

DON

• Like 1

I am fine with Sitka.  But I booked this cruise specifically for Valdez.

Norwegian, of course, hasn't confirmed anything yet.  I'm left wondering whether there will be any excursions offered in Sitka with this late notice.  I have been to Sitka before and have enjoyed walking the town itself.  This time, however, I would prefer to do the wildlife cruise with a visit to the bear rehab facility.  Just don't know whether that will be offered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quack2 said:

I am fine with Sitka. But I booked this cruise specifically for Valdez.

I fully understand the problem: Valdez and Sitka are different places, and however "nice" Sitka might be, it simply is not Valdez. If one has family or friends in Valdez, and the vessel instead stops at Sitka, no matter how "nice" Sitka might be, friends and family are not there. The cause of the problem, of course, is the cruise contract. In effect, it allows the cruise line to take its passengers anywhere (or even nowhere), as the cruise line does not guarantee anything to passengers but the ports of embarkation and disembarkation. (Indeed, even air transportation contracts are written the same way: airlines do not guarantee stopping at any particular intermediate points . . . unless one has purchased one of those rare tickets that actually permits a stopover.) I wish it were different, for if I have purchased a cruise line ticket because it is scheduled to stop at a particular port, and that port has some particular meaning or importance to me, then it is inherently unfair for the cruise line to keep my money without stopping there (especially if there are other cruises not stopping at that port are less expensive). I have no information here, but I will empathize.

If it makes you feel better, based on this thread I just changed my mind about booking Norwegian's July 5th cruise.   They may be allowed to change it in the cruise contract, but I am not under contract, and I heard about them doing that to somebody else.

18 hours ago, GoDucksNation said:

You can do the fortress of the bears, raptor center and totems directly thru Sitka Wildlife Tours 

That is who I used for my tour in late April.  Small vehicles, 9 of us.  Also included a nice little walk through the woods at the National Historic Park.  Well done.  

5 hours ago, quack2 said:

The City of Valdez confirms the cancellation of NCL ships this year.  Still no word from NCL about itinerary changes due to cancellation.  I leave in 6 days.  I'd like to officially know where we are going.

https://www.valdezak.gov/civicalerts.aspx?aid=1708

And, finally this morning, after the information was publicly available for two days, Norwegian has confirmed the cancellation of Valdez and the rearranging of the rest of itinerary.  Of course they aren't ready to take shore excursion bookings for the new port or the port where the date has changed.  I will be fighting it out with other passengers to book my excursion on the ship.

First World problem, I know.  But still . . .

Edited by quack2
  • Like 1

If Norwegian and the city of Valdez are still not talking, I can speculate that maybe the reason is a national security issue.  Or that the city and the cruise line can't see eye-to-eye on something, but I just don't see that causing an abrupt change in the middle of the season.  

12 hours ago, quack2 said:

Having to take shuttles from the pier (and who would absorb the cost of the service), few available excursions, a downtown lacking amenities, who knows? 

Those problems, 10 years ago, that's what you would call Icy Strait.   Even now, some would argue, but now ISP has this big gondola and zipline.  

Edited by tetleytea

Few excursions?  There are glacier kayaking, helicopter flightseeing, wildlife cruises, hiking trails, UTV rides, tours into the mountains, and even a culinary tour in our cruiseline's list of excursions.  Not to mention several interesting museums and an art co-op .  This August will be our 2nd time there.

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

Few excursions?  There are glacier kayaking, helicopter flightseeing, wildlife cruises, hiking trails, UTV rides, tours into the mountains, and even a culinary tour in our cruiseline's list of excursions.  Not to mention several interesting museums and an art co-op .  This August will be our 2nd time there.

what cruise line are you taking to Valdez?

I just read an article that explained that Valdez was taken by surprise by this decision, with many small businesses now in panic mode. I have to wonder if there were issues during the first stops the Spirit did make that couldn't be rectified to cause the decision to be made. Or perhaps complaints from passengers.

Unfortunately, unless NCL publishes something, we'll probably never know.

• Like 1