Door decorations on NCL Joy?

cruisinbunny

NCL banned door decorations in 2019. The ban used to be stated in the dailies but I haven't seen the ban mentioned in recent dailies. 

As with many things, enforcement is inconsistent to the point that some people have no problem putting decorations up while others have their decorations removed.  

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Thanks 1

Currently on the Joy in Bermuda. We have a small magnet on our door proclaiming our Mother/ Daughter cruise. A door down the hall is covered with beach magnets and another door has a life sized portrait of the birthday girl who is celebrating her milestone birthday.

• Thanks 1

it’s been said many times, many ways: they are prohibited.

fire hazard.

plus, you have no right to visually pollute the hallways with photos and magnets and balloons and crepe paper and mylar and streamers that others are forced to look at every time they pass.

no right.

and there is nothing worth celebrating that wouldn’t be more fun and provide more continuous enjoyment to you and yours than putting those same decorations inside your cabin, where you can look at them for much longer periods of time. place those decorations outside your door and others see them more than you.

and if you have difficulty finding your cabin, math is your friend.  cabins are clearly marked with sequential numbers. they were placed there specifically to help you find your cabin! 

Edited by UKstages
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it’s been said many times, many ways: they are prohibited.

fire hazard.

plus, you have no right to visually pollute the hallways with photos and magnets and balloons and crepe paper and mylar and streamers that others are forced to look at every time they pass.

no right.

and there is nothing worth celebrating that wouldn’t be more fun and provide more continuous enjoyment to you and yours than putting those same decorations inside your cabin, where you can look at them for much longer periods of time. place those decorations outside your door and others see them more than you.

and if you have difficulty finding your cabin, math is your friend.  cabins are clearly marked with sequential numbers. they were placed there specifically to help you find your cabin! 

You sound fun at parties. I also hope to one day have the lack of problems that you have if door decorations disturb you so much.

We booked a cabin where we don't walk down much of the hallways so I specifically went out of my way to LOOK FOR decorations one afternoon. 

I don't know why you feel the need to yuck other peoples yum, but happy to give you the sleep mask I took on the ship so you can cover your eyes walking past the horrors. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, psuboater said:

You sound fun at parties. I also hope to one day have the lack of problems that you have if door decorations disturb you so much. 

i am a lot of fun at parties. thanks for recognizing this!

two words you’ve chosen to ignore in my post: fire hazard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisinbunny said:

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered recently.

Are door decorations allowed on the Joy? Some boards said no, others said no for specific ships, and NCL's site didn't say anything I could find. Thanks!!!

There are no rules prohibiting door decorations (except in the minds of those who are party poopers). Decorate away. Have a fun cruise!  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i am a lot of fun at parties. thanks for recognizing this!

They are no more of a fire hazard than a million other things on the ship.  .

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are no rules prohibiting door decorations (except in the minds of those who are party poopers).

does this really have to be posted yet again?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-bans-door-decorations

door decorations are indeed prohibited by NCL.

whether one chooses to follow the rules is up to each individual. as has already been mentioned, enforcement is lax... if you decorate your door, there is a good chance they will be taken down. there is also a good chance they won't. in the case of a fire, your paper and mylar and tape and plastic could help spread that fire more quickly and/or people could trip over your decorations delaying evacuation during which every second counts

this question comes up regularly on cruise critic and the same misinformation about there being no rule against it continues to be spread. if somebody wants to know whether door decorations are allowed on NCL, the answer is no.

Edited by UKstages

I think it may come down to the definition of "door decorations." We put a few magnets on or near our door on every cruise. We have had absolutely no issues doing so. I suspect that anything taped to the door or something that might cause damage might be removed, but no one from NCL has ever moved our magnets or asked us to take them down.

If you had streamers or something that fully covered the door, that might be frowned upon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this post title refers to the Joy but on the 5/28/23 sailing on the Escape, door decorations were not allowed.  

This was the first cruise I remember walking down the halls and seeing no decorations. People on a cruise related social media group who had put decorations on their cabin door reported that they received a phone call telling them to remove it or it would be removed by the staff.  

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

Oh please! Like it's really gonna be the door decorations that is the thing to cause the ship to sink if there's a fire on board.

13 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Like it's really gonna be the door decorations that is the thing to cause the ship to sink if there's a fire on board.

yes, that's correct. that is the concern expressed by NCL. they don't use your words exactly. but, yes, many door decorations are highly flammable and can start a fire or, more likely, help to quickly spread it. people can also trip over the decorations or get entangled in them during an evacuation.

it is unlikely that a modern cruise ship will sink because of a fire, but it is possible, if the fire is not contained. fire at sea is dangerous. and precautions must be taken to prevent fire and to contain it. NCL has wisely chosen to ban door decorations. you can choose to express your opposition in an online forum or you can contact NCL to object. or you can keep your decorations inside your cabin or leave them at home.

or you can choose another cruise line.

the choice is yours and you have many options.

Edited by UKstages

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

yes, that's correct. that is the concern expressed by NCL. they don't use your words exactly. but, yes, door many decorations are highly flammable and can start a fire or, more likely, help to quickly spread it. people can also trip over the decorations or get entangled in them during an evacuation.

it is unlikely that a modern cruise ship will sink because of a fire, but it is possible, if the fire is not contained. fire at sea is dangerous. and precautions must be taken to prevent fire and to contain it. NCL has wisely chosen to ban door decorations. you can choose to express your opposition in an online forum or you can contact NCL to object.

the choice is yours.

If there is a fire onboard, door decorations are the least of their concerns.

So smoking is allowed in certain areas which can absolutely start a fire, but they ban door decorations because they are a fire hazard. That makes perfect sense.(insert eye roll).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That makes perfect sense.(insert eye roll).

perhaps you should speak to a fire chief or fire marshall who can help you feel more comfortable with NCL's policy and explain to you how fires start and how they spread. perhaps you should speak with NCL's risk assessment team to understand how they came to their decision n this matter. perhaps once onboard, you can save your eye rolls for the captain, who ultimately has the authority to enforce the policy or not. i'm sure he or she would appreciate your perspective.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

yes, that's correct. that is the concern expressed by NCL. they don't use your words exactly. but, yes, many door decorations are highly flammable and can start a fire or, more likely, help to quickly spread it. people can also trip over the decorations or get entangled in them during an evacuation.

it is unlikely that a modern cruise ship will sink because of a fire, but it is possible, if the fire is not contained. fire at sea is dangerous. and precautions must be taken to prevent fire and to contain it. NCL has wisely chosen to ban door decorations. you can choose to express your opposition in an online forum or you can contact NCL to object. or you can keep your decorations inside your cabin or leave them at home.

the choice is yours and you have many options.

Ah yes, the great magnet fire of 1992. Took a whole city down, never forget. 

• Haha 7

Just now, cruisinbunny said:

Thanks so much to all who answered my question. I know enforcement differs across ships so knowing what's actually happening on the ships is super helpful. 

We're on the Joy on 7/9, can't wait!!

I'm not an expert like some on here purport to be but my daughter was on the Escape 5/21 - 5/28 and she put door decorations on my nephews cabin door (in the solo area) and nobody said a word.

Also, we were on Joy last summer and my wife put decorations on my daughters cabin door for her college graduation. Again, nobody said a word.

Just saying.......

BTW we're sailing Joy again July 23rd, so please take good care of the ship and don't burn it down!!

Lmao!!!

• Thanks 1

We were on the Joy in April for the Easter Sunday cruise, there were decorations everywhere!!!!! We also had a door magnet on our door and never had anyone say anything. Decorate away, if asked ot take them down, just take them down. 

And as far as forcing someone to look at something on my door every time you pass? You must be the person that complains about everything. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm not an expert like some on here purport to be but my daughter was on the Escape 5/21 - 5/28 and she put door decorations on my nephews cabin door (in the solo area) and nobody said a word.

Also, we were on Joy last summer and my wife put decorations on my daughters cabin door for her college graduation. Again, nobody said a word.

Just saying.......

BTW we're sailing Joy again July 23rd, so please take good care of the ship and don't burn it down!!

Lmao!!!

I did just see some magnets starting some sparks on a door down on 11, but hopefully we'll get her to you unscathed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, psuboater said:

Ah yes, the great magnet fire of 1992. Took a whole city down, never forget. 

i am unfamiliar with the great magnet fire of 1992. please share all that you know. which city was this?

as for magnets, yes, virgina, magnets can cause sparks under certain circumstances and neodymium magnets, in particular can be highly flammable and a magnetic field can indeed influence the power and direction of flames. thank you so much for bringing this important issue to the discussion. this, i'm sure, weighed heavily in NCL's decision to ban door decorations.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, psuboater said:

I did just see some magnets starting some sparks on a door down on 11, but hopefully we'll get her to you unscathed. 

Thank you!!

And yes, I have seen magnets and paper like substances randomly combust and take down a building.

It's all scientific and very common!!

Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

does this really have to be posted yet again?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-bans-door-decorations

door decorations are indeed prohibited by NCL.

whether one chooses to follow the rules is up to each individual. as has already been mentioned, enforcement is lax... if you decorate your door, there is a good chance they will be taken down. there is also a good chance they won't. in the case of a fire, your paper and mylar and tape and plastic could help spread that fire more quickly and/or people could trip over your decorations delaying evacuation during which every second counts

this question comes up regularly on cruise critic and the same misinformation about there being no rule against it continues to be spread. if somebody wants to know whether door decorations are allowed on NCL, the answer is no.

Read post #23. NCL DECORATED OUR DOOR.

p.s. Housekeeping Supervisor helped cabin attendant decorate.

Edited by FlGoodShips
Extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! I’m new to NCL and had no idea for decorations are prohibited. Granted, I’ve seen people go way overboard with junk spilling over on to walls/hallway, taped stuff. I can see how that could damage surfaces. Be a hassle, etc. I typically do small, custom magnets in the theme of our cruise ports. It’s always a fun craft to work on as I countdown to a cruise! Fun for the kids and of course helps identify the cabin easily. I suppose I’ll just pick up a few small magnets, and will take them down if asked. 

• Like 2