Looks like P&O are changing the way dining bookings are done on Arvia

solentsam

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

If I had to pay extra to eat anywhere I wanted on Arvia and Iona when I wanted to. I would pay it as well.

But why pay something when you don't need to?

Because what you’re happy with and what others are happy with are not the same. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

I never choose to use the buffet - hell on earth with food that has been poked and prodded.

The first of those issues I can suffer, but the second - no thanks.

Not my experience of the buffet but if you go at bunfight time that is what you will get

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So actually it appears I am correct to say you have to pay extra to secure freedom dining when you book on the smaller ships?

You have to pay select fares to be able to choose it. Something you don't have to pay on Iona and Arvia and get automatically

I personally wouldn't be comfortable hoping to be able to swap to achieve what I want once on board

So that's a big advantage to the bigger ships for me

Iona and Arvia are completely different ships and operate differently for a reason. 

You really cannot say select passengers pay more on the smaller ships to get freedom, because it is about far more than just dining which I and others have tried to explain before. 

We often pay select as cabin type and location is our priority for several reasons. To be able to choose either club or freedom dining is a perk of this cabin grade and we choose depending upon the type of cruise we are going to be on etc...  Furthermore, we have also taken early saver fares and been allocated freedom dining.

As I have said before, the restaurant manager is more than happy to amend your dining allocation or choice where he can. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Because what you’re happy with and what others are happy with are not the same. 

Most issues when you delve deeper on here with dining on Arvia are

Maiden Voyage

Xmas 

School holiday weeks  (mainly at the start of the week)

People not wanting to use apps

People not knowing how to get the best out of the apps

People looking for problems to criticise 

One of my weeks in the Caribbean on Arvia was school holiday half term. I never even realised or wouldn't have booked

Zero problems for me. Wasn't using MDRs but will be next February. Might even book half term week again just to shock people on here when I can book MDRs without any waiting time for me whenever I want

And as always if I can't you will hear about it. I don't sugar coat stuff that goes wrong or hide it 

Iona even less things to even try and find problems with. I think people have pretty much given up trying to point fingers at Iona haven't they?

My work involves attending 150 ish high end Hospitality lunches or dinners each year.

I get to see the so called best offerings out there in terms of catering for large numbers 

Was at Edgbaston Test Match last 2 days

Guests paying 600 pounds plus each for seats, breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea

Last week I was at The Oval for Australia and India

Guest paying 840 pounds each 

The week before Club Wembley for Man Utd v Man City guests paying upto 2,500 pounds each

My wife at Epsom for Ladies Day  and the Derby. Guests paying 799 each for the day. I was there last year

Last night we had a Michelin Star Indian Meal for 2 In Birmingham that cost close to what I paid for a week in the Fjords on Iona. Stunning meal, service and wine pairings 

In all of those above apart from the Michelin restaurant the customer service is not as good as on Arvia and Iona.

Mainly teenagers many working these hsopitality events (many for the first time - they all move on each year to proper jobs!) compared to seasoned professionals well trained on P and O and looking to learn and progress on board. The gulf in service and staff training is enormous. 

Apart from the Michelin star restaurant (Opheem) the food in these locations only as good as Arvia and Iona MDR let alone Epicurean. Maybe Epsom was better than MDR. At the  cricket they can't serve the meals fast enough to avoid people missing the restart of cricket. Despite designing menus with no choice and cold starters waiting for people as they come back in. 

The food in MDR on Iona is really excellent for mass catering. For those on good deals on the ship its fantastic value. For those paying for more expensive cabins it's still very  good. But there is nothing about paying for cabins that entitles you to better food. Is there? The extra cost you pay is entirely for your cabin and/or balcony and location. 

Service on P and O is superb compared to vast vast majority of hotels in UK.  We cover events at all the best ones as well. 

Grosvenor House, Intercontinental, Dorchester, Park Lane Hilton. Normally slightly better food than MDR at gala dinners at these places but it's all they do conference and gala dinner meals every day and night so should be great. No better than Limelight. Worse than Epicurean 

Best food in corporate hospitality is Lords Long Room. That's about 400 per ticket for a gala dinner without cricket at all though. Purely the meal and use of the room.   And it's more like Epicurean level food.

So when I see people complaining about Arvia and Iona at the prices they charge  I just  shake my head and wonder what they are actually comparing it to in this day and age?

I personally think I'm a good judge of service and mass catering at Hotels and venues

P and O on Arvia and Iona have it at a very high level for whats achievable in the current industry and at bargain basement prices 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Iona and Arvia are completely different ships and operate differently for a reason. 

You really cannot say select passengers pay more on the smaller ships to get freedom, because it is about far more than just dining which I and others have tried to explain before. 

We often pay select as cabin type and location is our priority for several reasons. To be able to choose either club or freedom dining is a perk of this cabin grade and we choose depending upon the type of cruise we are going to be on etc...  Furthermore, we have also taken early saver fares and been allocated freedom dining.

As I have said before, the restaurant manager is more than happy to amend your dining allocation or choice where he can. 

Fair enough

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

I never choose to use the buffet - hell on earth with food that has been poked and prodded.

The first of those issues I can suffer, but the second - no thanks.

Poked and prodded with utensils I assume?

Nothing more than that?

I'm guilty of that. Can't get enough on the spoons or other implements. 

My hands never get remotely near touching the food though?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daiB said:

Fully agree, which is why we have booked Arvia in May and Iona Oct. we would even consider Iona for the long 35 night Caribbean although we do like Ventura for that cruise. 

We are booked on Arvia in September will see how that goes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Most issues when you delve deeper on here with dining on Arvia are

Maiden Voyage

Xmas 

School holiday weeks  (mainly at the start of the week)

People not wanting to use apps

People not knowing how to get the best out of the apps

People looking for problems to criticise 

One of my weeks in the Caribbean online Arvia was school holiday half term. I never even realised or wouldn't have booked

Zero problems for me. Wasn't using MDRs will be next February. Might even book half term week again just to shock people on here when I can book MDRs without any waiting time for me whenever I want

Iona even less things to even try and find problems with. 

My work involved attending 150 ish high end Hospitality lunches or dinners each year.

I get to see the so called best offerings out there in terms of catering for large numbers 

Was at Edgbaston Test Match last 2 days

Guest paying 600 pounds each for seats, breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea

Last week I was at The Oval for Australia and India

Guest paying 840 pounds each 

The week before Club Wembley for Man Utd v Man City guests paying upto 2,500 pounds each

My wife at Epsom for Ladies Day  and the Derby. Guests paying 799 each for the day. I was there last year

Last night we had a Michelin Star Indian Meal for 2 In Birmingham that cost close to what I paid for a week in the Fjords on Iona

In all of those above apart from the Michelin restaurant the customer service is not as good as on Arvia and Iona. Mainly teenagers many working these events for the first time compared to seasoned professionals well trained on P and O. The gulf is enormous.  Apart from the Michelin star restaurant (Opheem) the food in these locations only as good as Arvia and Iona MDR. Maybe Epsom was better. At the  cricket they can't serve the meals fast enough to avoid people missing the restart of cricket. 

The food in MDR on Iona is really excellent for mass catering. For those on good deals on the ship its fantastic value. For those paying for more expensive cabins it's still very  good. But there is nothing about paying for cabins that entitles you to better food.

Service on P and O is superb compared to vast vast majority of hotels in UK.  We cover events at all the best ones as well. 

Grosvenor House, Intercontinental, Dorchester, Park Lane Hilton. Slightly better food at these places but it's all they do conference and gala dinner meals every day and night so should be great.

Best food in corporate hospitality is Lords Long Room. That's about 400 per ticket for a gala dinner without cricket.  And it's more like Epicurean level food.

So when I see people complaining about Arvia and Iona at the prices they charge  I just  shake my head and wonder what they are comparing it to in this day and age

I personally think I'm a good judge of service and mass catering 

Again, different venues and different circumstances regardless of any price paid. At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to judge their own meals and experiences, just like you have, and can judge the service according to what they have experienced before or expected. 

Regarding the comment of shaking your head at people complaining about the prices Arvia and Iona charge - it is important to remember that not everyone can afford to dine in the places that you are privileged to dine at. What they are paying may be alot to them; it may be their one cruise for the year and mean far more to them; what they have saved up for; or they just expect better of the MDR that they do not have to pay extra.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We are booked on Arvia in September will see how that goes.

This an Arvia thread , but we next sail on Britannia.

We will go armed with a list of select dining options to book as soon as we board 

If all else fails we will we will do what we always do - make the best of it!

In the Caribbean I have heard that we can also 'hit the rum' !!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Again, different venues and different circumstances regardless of any price paid. At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to judge their own meals and experiences, just like you have, and can judge the service according to what they have experienced before or expected. 

Regarding the comment of shaking your head at people complaining about the prices Arvia and Iona charge - it is important to remember that not everyone can afford to dine in the places that you are privileged to dine at. What they are paying may be alot to them, what they have saved up for or they just expect better of the MDR that they do not have to pay extra.

I didnt mention people shaking heads at the price of Arvia and Iona

I mentioned people finding fault with mass catering MDRs on these ships  when week in week out I see them outperforming far more expensive and prestigious venues

Or at least matching them 

One thing Arvia and Iona guests get without doubt is quality returns for what you pay

Far more than you would get elsewhere in mass catering. With far far better customer service. From staff who actually truly care and value their jobs. Rather than just paying bills whilst they study to do something else etc

12 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Regarding the comment of shaking your head at people complaining about the prices Arvia and Iona charge - it is important to remember that not everyone can afford to dine in the places that you are privileged to dine at. What they are paying may be alot to them, what they have saved up for or they just expect better of the MDR that they do not have to pay extra.

Most of the time I'm not paying to dine In these places.

Knowing what people have to pay for their balcony cabins on P and O and some on here take suites they could definitely afford the dining we try more than we can

But even if people on here struggle to afford cruises at saver prices I still say they are getting value that is truly unbeatable. Service as good as anywhere. 

And I genuinely find the criticism and fault finding hard to understand.

You know what even if you just ate at the buffet, quays and self service every meal every day it's probably still better value than most holidays nowadays

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I mentioned people finding fault with mass catering MDRs on these ships  when week in week out I see them outperforming far more expensive and prestigious venues

Sorry, you just lost me.  How do you see them outperforming far more expensive and prestigious venues when you've only sailed on each ship only once.  No disrespect but you aren't on every cruise and can't possibly say that they are performing that high every time.  By your own admission you never used Arvia's MDRs so until you try them I can't see how you can make that statement.  If I said every cruise had the same problems with noise, shuttles etc mine did you'd say quite rightly I am exaggerating, your outperformance comment on the restaurants fall into that category.

Certainly I never faulted the food product on Arvia, I said it was very good.  The service was okay but certainly not up to the standard it was prior to the pandemic but as we know many of the staff are relatively new and training on the job.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry, you just lost me.  How do you see them outperforming far more expensive and prestigious venues when you've only sailed on each ship only once.  No disrespect but you aren't on every cruise and can't possibly say that they are performing that high every time.  By your own admission you never used Arvia's MDRs so until you try them I can't see how you can make that statement.  If I said every cruise had the same problems with noise, shuttles etc mine did you'd say quite rightly I am exaggerating, your outperformance comment on the restaurants fall into that category.

Certainly I never faulted the food product on Arvia, I said it was very good.  The service was okay but certainly not up to the standard it was prior to the pandemic but as we know many of the staff are relatively new and training on the job.

You simply can't get lucky to serve MDR food that well, that efficiently for the few days in a row when I  tried it breakfast and dinner. We tried all 4 MDRs.

You can't get lucky having cleaning staff in corridors smiling and saying hello to you every time they pass you in every corridor

You can't get lucky seeing cleaning staff on the stairs or In the toilets working hard and smiling and saying hello every time they see you on every part of the ship

You can't get lucky watching great entertainment every night in state of the art theatres

710 Club is as good as any intimate music bar in any city in the UK. And any intimate music bar on the sea. Try finding better?

Maybe Toulouse Lautrec near Kennington on land?

I see high end establishments very prestigious not a patch on these operations. Supervisors meeting young staff for the first time having to show them how to lay a table serve a meal. Young teenagers trying hard not to laugh or giggle amongst themselves as they don't really care as the supervisors try their best to show them how to serve and tuck their shirts in. Reminding them to wash their hands etc!! 

So if I recognise something that's  a great operation I tell people about it

P and O is a well oiled incredibly well trained machine

We would miss these cruises If they weren't there trust me

Made a point of telling the head Chef and His team how great they were at their jobs at Lords Long Room. Made a point doing the same at the Indian Michelin star restaurant last night

For its size and the sheer numbers P and O are catering for they are doing a truly great job. 

So I make a point of saying it on here

Problems bound to occur. But as I always say they get far far more right than they get wrong

24 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You know what even if you just ate at the buffet, quays and self service every meal every day it's probably still better value than most holidays nowadays

Value for a saver inside maybe, but I would not dine in any of these places in the evening. That is not what I pay my cruise fare for. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Value for a saver inside maybe, but I would not dine in any of these places in the evening. That is not what I pay my cruise fare for. 

Of course not

But when you pay for a more expensive cabin it's the cabin that extra is not for an upgraded dining experiences?

Is the cabin worth the extra to you? 

Obviously it is

But  don't confuse it with rewarding you with different dining opportunities

Inside savers are entitled to pretty much everything most other passengers get paying more?

Maybe that will change in time

I hope not myself

33 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Most of the time I'm not paying to dine In these places.

Knowing what people have to pay for their balcony cabins on P and O and some on here take suites they could definitely afford the dining we try more than we can

But even if people on here struggle to afford cruises at saver prices I still say they are getting value that is truly unbeatable. Service as good as anywhere. 

And I genuinely find the criticism and fault finding hard to understand.

Sorry, just read this and feel like I am in alternate reality. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Poked and prodded with utensils I assume?

Unfortunately not... 

We have seen many an occasion where items are picked up by hand and put back in the buffet...

In fairness, all pre lock down.

Don't get me started on the notorious 'bun sniffer' who seemed to have an obsession with picking up items like bread and fruit, sniffing them, then putting them back!!! 

Also heard a story about someone licking utensils and placing back in the curry, but I never witnessed that. 

Staff observed this and said and did nothing... 

Andy 

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Of course not

But when you pay for a more expensive cabin it's the cabin that's extra not the dining experiences?

Is the cabin worth the extra to you? 

Obviously it is

But  don't confuse it with rewarding you with different dining opportunities

Inside savers are entitled to pretty much everything most other passengers get paying more?

Maybe that will change in time

I hope not myself

Everyone who has bought a cruise is entitled to decent MDR dinner with service. You inferred that you can just eat elsewhere. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry, just read this and feel like I am in alternate reality. 

I was slightly exaggerating. 

It is at inside saver price though

And have you looked at the cost of other holidays now?

My friend has just booked all inclusive 5 star Egypt for 2 adults and one teenage daughter in Egypt

14 nights August

10k for the 3 of them. 

Egypt used to be cheap

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Unfortunately not... 

We have seen many an occasion where items are picked up by hand and put back in the buffet...

In fairness, all pre lock down.

Don't get me started on the notorious 'bun sniffer' who seemed to have an obsession with picking up items like bread and fruit, sniffing them, then putting them back!!! 

Also heard a story about someone licking utensils and placing back in the curry, but I never witnessed that. 

Staff observed this and said and did nothing... 

Andy 

Not seen anything like that and I'm sure I would have to say something to someone if I saw it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I was slightly exaggerating. 

It is at inside saver price though

And have you looked at the cost of other holidays now?

My friend has just booked all inclusive 5 star Egypt for 2 adults and one teenage daughter in Egypt

14 nights August

10k for the 3 of them. 

Egypt used to be cheap

We have to look at holidays and always have done. Never had a holiday or cruise out of a school holiday ever, so I feel qualified to compare PO now and before re experience and prices --- and with other cruise lines and land holidays. I don't want to get miserable - can we just agree that cruises in the school holiday time and out of it are a different 'beast' ????? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You simply can't get lucky to serve MDR food that well, that efficiently for the few days in a row when I  tried it breakfast and dinner. We tried all 4 MDRs.

You can't get lucky having cleaning staff in corridors smiling and saying hello to you every time they pass you in every corridor

You can't get lucky seeing cleaning staff on the stairs or In the toilets working hard and smiling and saying hello every time they see you on every part of the ship

You can't get lucky watching great entertainment every night in state of the art theatres

710 Club is as good as any intimate music bar in any city in the UK. And any intimate music bar on the sea. Try finding better?

Maybe Toulouse Lautrec near Kennington on land?

I see high end establishments very prestigious not a patch on these operations. Supervisors meeting young staff for the first time having to show them how to lay a table serve a meal. Young teenagers trying hard not to laugh or giggle amongst themselves as they don't really care as the supervisors try their best to show them how to serve and tuck their shirts in. Reminding them to wash their hands etc!! 

So if I recognise something that's  a great operation I tell people about it

P and O is a well oiled incredibly well trained machine

We would miss these cruises If they weren't there trust me

Made a point of telling the head Chef and His team how great they were at their jobs at Lords Long Room. Made a point doing the same at the Indian Michelin star restaurant last night

For its size and the sheer numbers P and O are catering for they are doing a truly great job. 

So I make a point of saying it on here

Problems bound to occur. But as I always say they get far far more right than they get wrong

So according to this post where you include cleaning staff, the cook and the head bottle washer you're talking about the whole overall product not just the dining? If so surely that applies across the whole fleet where most staff are absolutely charming and extremely hard working, and I'm confident it's not just an Iona/Arvia situation.

Once again you're referring to Iona for your MDR experience and have yet to experience Arvia's.  

Whilst it is nice you told the Long Room team etc how nice it was, it's a bit pointless pushing the point here on CC. If you think that P&Os product is that good you should be telling them not us, hopefully did whilst onboard or on your returning asked by P&O to comment. 

The problem I see is that you can appear to be quite disparaging about the other vessels to the point you have become obsessed with trying to convince those who sail on them that they really, really should be doing it on the ships you favour and are totally wrong for wanting to ignore the advice.  For overall P&O offerings on service, cleaning, dining, entertainment there should be little discernible difference no matter which ship. Everything else is a personal choice.

Although I rarely eat out nowadays I've also been privileged to eat in some of the world's great restaurants and venues. Much as I love a good cruise on any line, I wouldn't be able to honestly say the service on any of them is comparable never mind superior.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1