Looks like P&O are changing the way dining bookings are done on Arvia

solentsam

5 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi.

Just done a dummy booking,,here’s a screen shot…..

When has ‘Allocated dining time’ become the ability to choose?

IMG_2480.thumb.png.d05e7e03758d5727d90a3c034eca5d17.png

As I said, we almost always book select. However, on the odd times we’ve gone for saver, my Cruise Consultant (TA) always asks us about our dining preference - although she knows us well by now - and puts a note on the booking. We were lucky to be assigned freedom once but had to accept club on another occasion. I never book directly online. 

I don’t think that you’re even guaranteed to have your first choice even with select. You state your preference and have priority when on select so that usually means that you’ll get what you’ve asked for unless it’s a very late booking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ardennais said:

I don’t think that you’re even guaranteed to have your first choice even with select. You state your preference and have priority when on select so that usually means that you’ll get what you’ve asked for unless it’s a very late booking. 

We seem to have time preference, it's only the table size that is to be confirmed. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Wrong The most popular dining is club first sitting. It has been for some time. Freedom is next and then club dining second sitting. When we started cruising 22 years ago second sitting was most difficult to get. There was a change about 10 to 15 years ago, difficult to pin that one down. From my experience freedom is not the most favoured dining option and the proof is that so many people try to turn freedom into first sitting. Whatever you say is not up for discussion. Clearly you don’t like those facts as they do not fit your narrative.

I hear what you say, however on the 3 mid size ships 2 of the 3 MDRs are freedom. In which case if P&O agreed with you, then surely they would be allocating one of those 2 to  6:30 club dining, and then reverting to freedom.

27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We seem to have time preference, it's only the table size that is to be confirmed. 

Andy 

That’s right. With Select your dining preference (Freedom, Club 1st or Club 2nd) is confirmed and only table size (if on Club) is a preference. With Saver, dining preference can be stated but is also subject to confirmation along with table (if Club). 

Obviously this benefit of Select bookings is worth nowt on Iona and Arvia as they are 100% freedom (well, they aren’t now but we won’t go over that again 😉) but you still get your first choice cabin guaranteed which, for most of us who book Select, is essential. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi.

Just done a dummy booking,,here’s a screen shot…..

When has ‘Allocated dining time’ become the ability to choose?

I have started to choose saver’ fares as for a few pounds you can now choose cabin location and deck,,,I pick Aft/Mid and we are never far from lifts,,,then work out the extra on Select for coach transfer against paying for Eavesway,,,,the deal is always on the Saver.

But I have never been able to tick a box for dining choices.

IMG_2480.thumb.png.d05e7e03758d5727d90a3c034eca5d17.png

Actually there are three fare types not just saver and select.  This example you have shown is early saver which is the second option.  Early savers go on sale alongside select fares on release thereby you can book a "saver" fare from day 1 with certain benefits such as picking an area or grade of cabin.  With this you can also select a preferred dining type but unlike the select fare it isn't guaranteed.

The true "saver" fare, ie the late and last minute bookings do not give the option of choosing a dining time and absolutely nothing is guaranteed about those fares.   

I mentioned an occasion where I booked 7 weeks out from sailing and was given 8.30pm dining which it was difficult to change.  This was a true "saver" fare.  The "pecking order" to give it a name is therefore select, early saver and saver.  Generally an early saver guest will be able to adjust their dining onboard but the saver passenger may not be able to do so.

Here is the explanation from P&O:

https://www.pocruises.com/our-prices-explained

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Actually there are three fare types not just saver and select.  This example you have shown is early saver which is the second option.  Early savers go on sale alongside select fares on release thereby you can book a "saver" fare from day 1 with certain benefits such as picking an area or grade of cabin.  With this you can also select a preferred dining type but unlike the select fare it isn't guaranteed.

The true "saver" fare, ie the late and last minute bookings do not give the option of choosing a dining time and absolutely nothing is guaranteed about those fares.   

I mentioned an occasion where I booked 7 weeks out from sailing and was given 8.30pm dining which it was difficult to change.  This was a true "saver" fare.  The "pecking order" to give it a name is therefore select, early saver and saver.  Generally an early saver guest will be able to adjust their dining onboard but the saver passenger may not be able to do so.

Here is the explanation from P&O:

https://www.pocruises.com/our-prices-explained

Interesting. I’ve never looked in to early savers. I’m unclear what they offer over savers though. Don’t you still specify a cabin grade (which, by default, will often determine location to a degree) with a regular saver?

1 hour ago, Happy afloat said:

Where on earth do I mention which is the most favoured sitting? The point is about costing and what you get for your money, and whether switching from club to freedom is an upgrade, not the popularity of one over the other.

Your interpretation of what I've written really confuses me. 

The facts, as you put it, can't be argued with:-club dining is part of saver fare and freedom part of select. That's all I've said and can be proven by going through the booking process for any cruise.

Oh, and whatever I, or anyone else on here says, IS up for discussion. It's a forum. That's the whole point . We all inform, debate, question and opinionate. We don't have to agree with what's said, just respect that we are entitled to say it.

DaiB is correct. You can get either Freedom or Club (1st or 2nd sitting) with both Select and Savers. The only difference is that with Select it’s guaranteed and with Saver it’s a request only, which you may or may not be successful with (unless on Iona or Arvia which are Feeedom only). 

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. I’ve never looked in to early savers. I’m unclear what they offer over savers though. Don’t you still specify a cabin grade (which, by default, will often determine location to a degree) with a regular saver?

Depends very much on the availability left.  The closer you are to sailing the less options you get.  The early saver you can pick an area but the price rises from the base level. You are still in a position you qualify for upgrades.  That's about the guaranteed aspects, the dining is still an allocation but you do get to state your preference and my experience is they will most likely be flexible and move you.

The saver fare on dining is take what you get.  A card used to be left in your room telling you what you had been allocated and only once did I get it changed and that took 3 days to get from 8.30pm to 6.30pm.  

Early saver is also deposit only whereas saver is 100% payment and total fare lost if cancelled.

Cunard also offer these three fare types, I use them a lot for solo travel.  

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I hear what you say, however on the 3 mid size ships 2 of the 3 MDRs are freedom. In which case if P&O agreed with you, then surely they would be allocating one of those 2 to  6:30 club dining, and then reverting to freedom.

Which is effectivly what happens now. 

Our forthcoming Aurora cruise is on an Early Saver fare.  At the time of booking (Feb this year) there was no option/ability to "express a preference" regarding dining options, ie Club 1st or 2nd, and Freedom.

I queried this when making the booking, as we had previously been able to do so on Early Saver fares.  Categoric answer of no longer available unless you book Select.  Find out on when on board.

Previously there used to be a link for ES bookers to "express a preference" regarding dining.  Still had the old email which had the link.  Computer said link now broken.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Our forthcoming Aurora cruise is on an Early Saver fare.  At the time of booking (Feb this year) there was no option/ability to "express a preference" regarding dining options, ie Club 1st or 2nd, and Freedom.

I queried this when making the booking, as we had previously been able to do so on Early Saver fares.  Categoric answer of no longer available unless you book Select.  Find out on when on board.

Previously there used to be a link for ES bookers to "express a preference" regarding dining.  Still had the old email which had the link.  Computer said link now broken.

On the dummy booking I showed there was no option to request a preference.

On my last saver fare (Oct) on Britannia there was no option to request a preference.

When you board your dining time is on a card in your cabin.

This is why I challenge those who,on this thread,say they do.

This is pretty plain from SoA link….

Early Saver, Late Saver and other promotional fares

Dining requests for bookings made on Late Saver and other promotional fares cannot be made. 

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

On my last saver fare (Oct) on Britannia there was no option to request a preference.

Dining requests for bookings made on Late Saver and other promotional fares cannot be made. 

I boked a saver fare for Britannia for this Friday and don't have a dining allocation. So as you say I expect it to be on a card in my cabin. Hopefully Club but I won't throw my toys out of the pram if it isn't

28 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I boked a saver fare for Britannia for this Friday and don't have a dining allocation. So as you say I expect it to be on a card in my cabin. Hopefully Club but I won't throw my toys out of the pram if it isn't

Savers often get Freedom dining. If you get freedom you should be able to change it to club on board. Have done this a  few times. 2nd sitting is the least popular so easiest to get, especially if you are wiling to share. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

All I know is that my TA puts a note on bookings to request a preference so it is possible to do it that way. As I said, I never book direct. 

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

All I know is that my TA puts a note on bookings to request a preference so it is possible to do it that way. As I said, I never book direct. 

Same here. Only booked a Saver once (on Ventura). We were asked if we had a dining preference and said yes, Freedom. Thankfully that’s what we got. 

• Like 1

They will try to accommodate any preferences listed within your account but you cannot on either saver fare state a preference on booking. T/As continue to ask however as the P&O website clearly shows only select get to choose it's not a real choice and being aware that it isn't any longer a request isn't in the T/As interest.   

If you book savers and have always had your preferred dining on boarding you most likely wasn't aware it was allocated by P&O based on their availability not your request.  It's when you get one that's not what you expect you find out that they are now reluctant or find it difficult to change you.  

The terms are very clear as per the link. 

• Thanks 2