Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

I am confused.

1) Is the cruise only fare still available?

2) If not, why would any company make customers who do not drink alcohol pay for a drinks package? (yes, we who do not drink, but like the Oceania product, are out there)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hamrag said:

Unfortunately this is not how it works. Firstly, none of the credit can be used for the high end excursions! For the other general excursions you can utilise only 25% of the excursion cost from your cabin excursion pot!

This is clearly designed to force you to take an excursion in each port, utilising only a small amount from your available pot, and increase their excursions revenue and profit. Only time will tell what percentage of cruisers will fall for that particular line.

I sure hope it doesn’t end up shaking out this way. For us it would completely invalidate any reason to pay more on any itinerary with O. So if the bottom line ends up being quite a bit more, for those who do not use shore ex, why would they book, one might ask?  I do not know because people pay more for the “free” excursions on Viking all the time. 

I have cruises booked through next April with OLife. Definitely not converting any of those to SM.

Hopefully by September/ October and the next new cruise release, when anll cruises will be under SM, all these questions will be answered/addressed! 🙄

Until that time, I’m simply not booking any more O cruises. Now that makes it all simple. 

Misinformation appears to be rampant on this Thread. Time will sort it out.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JKrise said:

I am confused.

2) If not, why would any company make customers who do not drink alcohol pay for a drinks package? (yes, we who do not drink, but like the Oceania product, are out there)

1) NO  not for new bookings

2) because   they can ... just like paying for the specialties  even if you do not dine there

• Like 4

3 hours ago, basor said:

A couple questions - is your original pricing the old OLife cruise only (which I believe is how you book)?  Is the pricing when you booked or last week?   In order for someone to correctly understand your example, these are important details.

I did not book these 4 cruises, I just looked at the prices before and after. These are very similar cruises to the Caribbean one I took last December and the upcoming Med/Canary Island cruise in Sept. I only noted the cruise only price, not the O life price as I never use it. I just wanted to see how much more I would have to spend on an Oceania cruise that I would take. As to getting 2 log ins on the wifi, I don't care about that amenity.

Is it worth paying an extra from $40 a day pp to $62 a day pp more for included items that I don't want and wouldn't use? Probably not. Since my next cruise in 2024 is with Azamara and I have no other cruises planned after that, I'll see how this plays out. I'm going to be doing more land trips next year, already have a safari in Uganda in January and looking into Smokey Mtn Nat'l Park I spring 2024. I may not be on another cruise for a few years, my husband is getting tired of them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Until that time, I’m simply not booking any more O cruises. Now that makes it all simple. 

Simply no more O 😁cruises for you, pinotlover. Check out Windstar, you'd like them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hanoj said:

Windstar? Im not familiar with them but was on their website yesterday and they offer a cruise only fare.

Windstar is my second favorite cruise line after Oceania. They may be moving up a notch and taking over first place as I am not happy with SM.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

What is the original price? Was it what you paid or was it the full price on 5/31?

But even if this was the full price, for the first 3 cruises it's an increase of $40-45 per day. Which means that you basically get 2 amenities for the price of one, plus the second WiFi.

The fourth cruise might be an anomaly, or maybe the original price was a promotion?

I didn't book these, I just looked at the price June 29 and compared to what they are July 1. The 4th cruise is a holiday sailing, they are always more money.

It's not worth $40-45 a day pp for the extra amenities and I don't care about a second wifi log in. I don't even use the first one. 

3 hours ago, basor said:

And now a second WIFI login is an amenity for those with SM,....for those on OLife then they receive the general amenity for all of 1 WIFI login..,

I guess that we’ll see how it plays out as it is not clear presently and may not be for awhile.  

2 hours ago, vtgumby said:

Let’s stop this silliness. YOU do you and number crunch and decide your value of your cruise. Others of us HAVE crunched the numbers and don’t like the added ‘value’ or cost for unused amenities.

It really is simple math and yet you refuse to understand so let’s just end this although it is fun for other CC readers to watch these stupid exchanges, I’ve enjoyed following a few in the past.

You will enjoy your $45 per day increase, I will not and therefore not ‘upgrade’ to SM on the two booked and in the future will see if O offers me the value I seek. This has become too personal for you so don’t fret, O isn’t going bankrupt (I hope as a stockholder) and you’re going to enjoy your added perks. I’m personally hoping for the cruise only fare to come back, time will tell. Until then, happy with my two earlier booked cruises and we’ll see about the future.

Now go crunch someone else’s numbers or volunteer at a food pantry, you’re getting way too crazed about other peoples cruises! 😉

Actually no.. I will not enjoy the $45 increase because I'm not switching. My cruises went up by more than $80/day because I booked a year ago. But half of the increase happened before switching to SM.

And yes, I hope too that cruise only comes back, but I'm not too optimistic.

So we don't really disagree that the change is not beneficial to people like us who will be paying for things we don't use. I was just pointing out that to understand the real increase one should compare to May 31 prices.

I hope this clarifies any confusion, and yes, lets end this here. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I didn't book these, I just looked at the price June 29 and compared to what they are July 1. The 4th cruise is a holiday sailing, they are always more money.

It's not worth $40-45 a day pp for the extra amenities and I don't care about a second wifi log in. I don't even use the first one. 

So we don't really disagree that the typical increase was $40-45/day. Is it worth it or not is a different question (it's not for me, but might be worth it for people who drink and book ship excursions).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JKrise said:

I am confused.

#2 has been addressed ad naseum. O is going more all inclusive because a much greater audience than us wants them to. Vegans don’t get discounts because they don’t eat lobster and filet. I don’t get a discount because I prefer not to rush back to the ship for lunch and lunch wines. Cruisers going to bed pre 21:30 still pay proportionally for the evening entertainment. On and on. 

If you’re obsessed with this drinks issue, you’ll just have to do your own calculations for future voyages. I avoid Oceania shorex, but it’s soon to be in the price. I have to weigh my options.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JKrise said:

I am confused.

They make customers who do not drink alcohol pay for a drinks because all premium/luxury lines already do it (except Windstar). People like us who don't drink are in clear minority, and my guess is that O is willing to lose those customers and maybe gain new customers who might find the new pricing more beneficial if they use the extra amenities. Especially considering the fact that we bring less profits to O, as extras like drinks and excursions have much higher profit margins than the cruise itself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

I sure hope it doesn’t end up shaking out this way. For us it would completely invalidate any reason to pay more on any itinerary with O. So if the bottom line ends up being quite a bit more, for those who do not use shore ex, why would they book, one might ask?  I do not know because people pay more for the “free” excursions on Viking all the time. 

I

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

They make customers who do not drink alcohol pay for a drinks because all premium/luxury lines already do it (except Windstar). People like us who don't drink are in clear minority, and my guess is that O is willing to lose those customers and maybe gain new customers who might find the new pricing more beneficial if they use the extra amenities. Especially considering the fact that we bring less profits to O, as extras like drinks and excursions have much higher profit margins than the cruise itself.

Yes! A $1B in new debt talks, and that doesn’t include the new A ships coming online. The debt has to be paid. Old programs will soon disappear. The debt has to be paid. Dreaming of a White Christmas in Miami won’t get you far. I never heard a Perry Como song once over the PA on the Vista!Time marches on!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I do drink some, I'm not that fond of wine and don't drink beer. I use my OBC from my TA, shareholder, and bronze level to pay for drinks and the occasional bottle of wine if I have OBC left . I usually walk off the cruise owing no more money and using up all of my OBC. With an included wine package I would go ahead and drink the included wine and skip buying any other cocktails.I'll make do with the free drinks at the 2 cocktail parties, that's enough for me.

I booked mine online and then transferred it to a travel agent and he gave me $1100 OBC.  I had selected OLife $1400 OBC because I thought I had to select one and I preferred the flexibility of the OBC.  There are 3 of us so we will have $1500 in gratuities so the remaining $1000 is refundable since it came from the travel agent but I'm sure we'll spend some of it.  I wish I had known that I was paying for it dollar for dollar because I would have opted out. 

The SM offering doesn't look like a good deal for me because while it only increases the total cruise cost by another $500, it changes the $1400 OBC to $1800 shore excursion credit.  I don't plan to take any shipboard excursions unless I can't find anything else so that's a deal breaker for me.  I will speak with my travel agent tomorrow to make sure I am correct in my reading of the situation.  Our cruise isn't until November 2024 so there will likely be other offerings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, babydrum said:

I booked mine online and then transferred it to a travel agent and he gave me $1100 OBC.  I had selected OLife $1400 OBC because I thought I had to select one and I preferred the flexibility of the OBC.  There are 3 of us so we will have $1500 in gratuities so the remaining $1000 is refundable since it came from the travel agent but I'm sure we'll spend some of it.  I wish I had known that I was paying for it dollar for dollar because I would have opted out. 

The SM offering doesn't look like a good deal for me because while it only increases the total cruise cost by another $500, it changes the $1400 OBC to $1800 shore excursion credit.  I don't plan to take any shipboard excursions unless I can't find anything else so that's a deal breaker for me.  I will speak with my travel agent tomorrow to make sure I am correct in my reading of the situation.  Our cruise isn't until November 2024 so there will likely be other offerings.

Before July 1st (not sure about now), you could drop the OLife from your booking any time before final payment (not sure about after) and receive credit equal to the OLife OBC. You can ask your TA about this if you want the credit.

Suspect TA phones will be ringing like crazy.  My very large OL TA prefers email queries/questions.  Always responds quickly.  Will wait a few weeks before asking any O SM questions. 

Only have 1 O booked later this year.  Last O was 2019. 

Will wait to see how I like O post C, and how SM things shake out before booking another.  Perhaps onboard, if a nice offer.

2 hours ago, JKrise said:

A big reason is because they're going for a younger clientele who are more likely to drink. Younger than baby boomers. It's the trend in cruise travel and it's not going away. I was on a river cruise last year where all drinks (including cocktails), all the time (not just mealtime) were included. The cruise line surveyed their clients and that's what they wanted. I'm happy with the change. I'll get my money's worth on wine and now they won't have to swipe my card when I'm having my meal.

JMO, of course.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

. I'll get my money's worth on wine and now they won't have to swipe my card when I'm having my meal.

JMO, of course.

You may still have to show your card for  a year or so  until everyone on board is under the new program of SM

Not everyone will be switching to SM

JMO

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Before July 1st (not sure about now), you could drop the OLife from your booking any time before final payment (not sure about after) and receive credit equal to the OLife OBC. You can ask your TA about this if you want the credit.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'll try to talk to him this week and get that removed.

29 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You may still have to show your card for  a year or so  until everyone on board is under the new program of SM

Not everyone will be switching to SM

JMO

I have cruises booked until May 2025 under the cruise only program as I definitely do not like the SM program.  I am hoping it will die a swift death. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, basor said:

???  It is the same excursion package as before that gave you a discount if you booked a certain number of cruises .....book a few , no discount.....book several and receive a discount.....purchase unlimited package and book all you want.  When you are done choosing what works for you, your SM shore excursion credit is deducted and you pay the difference.   Nothing has changed.

I hope that’s the way how it will work. Simple or not simple - it makes a lot of sense for those who utilize ship tours. It’ll allow to book some of your excursions for the discount price that’s cheaper than the regular tour price. I realize that we’re paying for the part of the discount (excursion credit) upfront with Simply More, but there’s an additional discount when you’re booking a certain amount of tours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davencl said:

Yes to add to this I found with my cruise in January 2024 that I'd already booked with 4 free shore excursions per person the $199 limit not longer applied.  I can book a shore excursion for over $200 and it will show up as free.  I hope they don't "fix" this for currently booked cruises before the change.  I guess for me I should get the shore excursions booked now...

Not true. If you want to get rid of the $199 limit you're going to have to switch to SM and you will

1. Pay a different price for the cruise.

2. Lose your free/ included excursions.

3. Get the "free" beverage package .

If you choose to use your excursion $$ allowance and book 5 excursions or more pp, you'll get a 25% discount on the excursions. 

Good luck 

• Like 1