Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

I understand that top travel agencies have been briefed on Simply More.  Has anyone been told what will happen to previous reservations?  We have sailed on Seabourn, Regency, and Azamara.  One of the benefits of the all-inclusive options for the entire ship is seamless service.  There is no need to produce your card when ordering drinks.  If O doesn't offer Simply More to those with existing reservations, then the luxury element is gone during lunch and dinner.  The price of our sailing has already increased since we gave our deposit.  It will be interesting to see if we are offered a flat increase to our original fare or if we will be asked to pay the rate of a new booking.  Of course, the best solution would be to give everyone already under-deposit the Simply More benefits.  Realistically, that will never happen. 

People who don't drink and don't use ship excursions wouldn't call it "benefits". But I would assume that those who booked under the old program and didn't switch would stay under the conditions of the old program.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I understand that top travel agencies have been briefed on Simply More.  Has anyone been told what will happen to previous reservations?  We have sailed on Seabourn, Regency, and Azamara.  One of the benefits of the all-inclusive options for the entire ship is seamless service.  There is no need to produce your card when ordering drinks.  If O doesn't offer Simply More to those with existing reservations, then the luxury element is gone during lunch and dinner.  The price of our sailing has already increased since we gave our deposit.  It will be interesting to see if we are offered a flat increase to our original fare or if we will be asked to pay the rate of a new booking.  Of course, the best solution would be to give everyone already under-deposit the Simply More benefits.  Realistically, that will never happen. 

I have gleaned these details from a TA.

NOTICE: Oceania changes coming July 1, 2023
I created the following notes from an Oceania webinar yesterday.
On July 1, 2023, a new program begins, and an old friend is retired. Olife is being replaced by a program called simplyMORE. Beginning July 1, 2023, all bookings made sailing after Oct 1, 2023, will include simplyMORE. The program is designed to be more inclusive and much simpler to understand. Some of the highlights are noted below.
  • All bookings include FREE champagne, wine, and more with over 30 alcoholic and non-alcoholic choices for lunch and dinner. Comparable to what you think of now as House Select Beverage Package. You will be able to upgrade the simplyMORE drink package for $30 per person per day and you will be able to upgrade prior to embarkation.
  • All simplyMORE bookings include a shore excursion credit. There will be a group of excursions to choose from using your credit. Unlike Olife, with simplyMORE you can choose to apply your credit to any excursion. You will be responsible for the difference in cost that exceeds the credit. simplyMORE shore excursion credits are: 7-9 days $600 per stateroom, 10-13 days $800, 14-18 days $1,000, 19-24 days $1,200, 25-30 days $1,400, 31-35 days $1,600.
  • FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi for both people booked in a stateroom! Vista is already outfitted with Starlink. Other ships will be upgrading soon.
  • When you choose air with simplyMORE, transfers will now be included.
  • When you choose cruise-only fare under the simplyMORE program you are excluding air only, all of the other amenity changes outlined will be included.
Current bookings will have the choice to stay as is or change to simplyMORE. If you change to simplyMORE, you will be subject to repricing the booking. You do not get to add simplyMORE to an existing booking at your current pricing. Please don’t try to change an existing booking now, this program is not implemented yet. Your TA and Oceania will not be able to provide you with a comparison quote yet.
As for me, I really appreciate FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi for 2 and being able to pick from all shore excursions using my excursion credit.
More details to come. Please hold your questions until there is more information with the understanding that this is preliminary.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

So. . . no changes to any sailings before October 1, 2023. But after this the fun begins. Will service be adversely impacted when servers have to differentiate the nuances of having guests booked under both systems? Imagine waiting on a table of 8 guests where there could be many different outcomes for ordering a beer at lunch. How much time will guests have to spend before disembarking to sort out account errors?

Seems O is rolling the dice with this.

Edited by Hanoj
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Imagine waiting on a table of 8 guests where there could be many different outcomes for ordering a beer at lunch. How much time will guests have to spend before disembarking to sort out account errors?

Since the drinks portion of "Simply More" reads exactly the same as the beverage option of OLife (including the upgrade cost to the full beverage package), why do you think there will be more confusion than currently?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MargateKev said:

On July 1, 2023, a new program begins, and an old friend is retired. Olife is being replaced by a program called simplyMORE. Beginning July 1, 2023, all bookings made sailing after Oct 1, 2023, will include simplyMORE

Can you clarify?

"Replaced by" implies other aspects of booking remain the same (viz: no-air and cruise-only remain).

"Will include" implies you must book with simplyMORE.

Edited by Snaefell3
typo

Thanks, Margatekev.  It certainly looks like those of us who booked with lower fares can stay with what we have or pay the higher fare to get the simplyMORE package.  I'll let my TA figure out which option is better for us.  TA's booking O must be upset about these changes...right before July 4th.   They are going to be earning their commissions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MargateKev said:

When you choose cruise-only fare under the simplyMORE program you are excluding air only, all of the other amenity changes outlined will be included.

26 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Can you clarify?

"Replaced by" implies other aspects of booking remain the same (viz: no-air and cruise-only remain).

"Will include" implies you must book with simplyMORE.

I don't think MargateKev could have made it any clearer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This new program may well end our Oceania cruising. We have Vista and Marina booked as cruise-only fares; after that we'll have to see. We don't drink alcohol and we rarely go on shore excursions through the cruise line, so we've always booked "cruise only" fares. If there is no longer an option to book without alcohol, etc., the value won't be there for us. That's also why we don't book luxury lines (with the exception of Crystal in the past). Celebrity tried to move to an all-inclusive fare (drinks, internet, grats--not shorex) but gradually reintroduced cruise-only fares. It will be interesting to see how this works for Oceania. Although we enjoy Oceania, we will be happy to sail cruise-only on Celebrity and HAL, possibly Azamara. And if Oceania's fares increase much more, we'll look at the new Crystal.   

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

This new program may well end our Oceania cruising. We have Vista and Marina booked as cruise-only fares; after that we'll have to see. We don't drink alcohol and we rarely go on shore excursions through the cruise line, so we've always booked "cruise only" fares. If there is no longer an option to book without alcohol, etc., the value won't be there for us. That's also why we don't book luxury lines (with the exception of Crystal in the past). Celebrity tried to move to an all-inclusive fare (drinks, internet, grats--not shorex) but gradually reintroduced cruise-only fares. It will be interesting to see how this works for Oceania. Although we enjoy Oceania, we will be happy to sail cruise-only on Celebrity and HAL, possibly Azamara. And if Oceania's fares increase much more, we'll look at the new Crystal.   

Azamara includes alcoholic beverages so you will need to cross them off your list...

I have seen this happen on other brands in the past.  Specifically change.  The post here represent the exact same posts from the past.  The question is why?  Change is difficult for MOST of us.  MOST of us like knowing the rules to the game and accepting them.  Human nature really.

I have been on this board now since I booked my first Oceania Cruise mid-2022.  I read, learn, post and appreciate most of the quality of members.  The tone that Oceania had to change some of their policies have been discussed, rehashed and debated. The general consensus was, clean up your act Oceania, you are confusing some folks especially the new folks. For me, it took a bit to get the program but after some thought, I got it.  That was with the help of some loyal long time guests so thank you.

Now my personal opinion which I don't expect for anyone to agree with or take as important.  Oceania is now attempting to establish themselves with things that would me more like the "All-Inclusive" luxury brands. Reading the notes above, it is more like All Inclusive Lite. If you look at the drink program, nothing much really changes per the notes.  The only real change is you get it and there for pay for the wine and beer program.  If you don't drink, you still have it.  that will make a certain group upset.  On the excursions, many folks don't like the cost of the brands excursions so they do it on their own.  Now they have to use some of what they believe is over price excursions with the credit provided.  Those that so often claim "The only way to go is Cruise-Only" lose that opportunity and feel upset about that. 

The reaction is we won't use Oceania again or we will think twice.  From Oceania standpoint, their future if they want truly grow are the converts from Main Stream Brands that want to lift their experience.  This was a business decision to create a much better competitor to brands like Viking. 

Change is hard only for those that remember the way it used to be.  The future growth often looks at those that have no frame of reference.  Just my two cents.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I have seen this happen on other brands in the past.  Specifically change.  The post here represents the exact same posts from the past.  The question is why? ... Just my two cents.

And at the end of the day it involves real money ($$$$) and perceptions of value. Of course, the "change" is likely one that removes more $$$$ from our wallets and leaves us without our "2 cents". I'm under no impression that O is doing this to benefit the consumer monetarily. Often such "simplification" is designed to raise revenue. Just study the mess that has been "no haggle car buying" and the research there. People admit they'll pay more $$$$ for less hassle. Those how know how to "haggle" lose. And the car dealers enrich themselves at the buyers' expense.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And at the end of the day it involves real money ($$$$) and perceptions of value. Of course, the "change" is likely one that removes more $$$$ from our wallets and leaves us without our "2 cents". I'm under no impression that O is doing this to benefit the consumer monetarily. Often such "simplification" is designed to raise revenue. Just study the mess that has been "no haggle car buying" and the research there. People admit they'll pay more $$$$ for less hassle. Those how know how to "haggle" lose. And the car dealers enrich themselves at the buyers' expense.

Is this being done for the client.  Indirectly but it will cost all more money.  Does the brand focus on profit and increasing it.  That is what make the world go around.  If we don't like it, we choose another brand.  For those that consider this brand in the future, they will do is on a price/value formula.  Is it right or wrong, depends on who is making comments.  The brand will survive with or with out some of us.  On the reference to the car dealerships.  That is a business I know very well, it has changed for the better in the last 15 years. I just had to say that.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

For me the biggest attractiveness of O pricing model was the ability to pay for what I want. The pricing was a bit complicated for many newcomers, but it worked well for people who took some time to understand it.

Now with the new model, people are forced to pay for things that don't necessarily use. Same as SB or SS. But if this the case, for many people SB or SS might represent a better value.

• Like 7

• When you choose cruise-only fare under the simplyMORE program you are excluding air only, all of the other amenity changes outlined will be included.

I'm glad my cruise is September 2023 and it will likely be my last Oceania cruise. If I can't book cruise only, which means all I want to pay for is the cabin, then I will no longer be an Oceania customer. I don't want more, I am happy with the way I travel with Oceania now. The next cruise after Sept. 2 Sirena is booked with Azamara. They will likely become my new favorite cruise line.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

I'm glad my cruise is September 2023 and it will likely be my last Oceania cruise. If I can't book cruise only, which means all I want to pay for is the cabin, then I will no longer be an Oceania customer. I don't want more, I am happy with the way I travel with Oceania now. The next cruise after Sept. 2 Sirena is booked with Azamara. They will likely become my new favorite cruise line.

But on Azamara you do not have the option of cruise only....or has that recently changed where you can opt out of the included beverage package, etc.?

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I suspect Oceania is not making enough profit on cruise only. I can’t blame them for wanting to stay in business. They want to attract clients that are willing and able to pay for a more inclusive premium experience.  Olife is quite confusing compared to the competition. I look to forward to seeing the details of Simply More. Unfortunately that might mean that those who book cruise only may no longer in their target audience. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, basor said:

But on Azamara you do not have the option of cruise only....or has that recently changed where you can opt out of the included beverage package, etc.?

Azamara pricing includes gratuities, self service laundry, wine and beer with meals. You don't have to pay for shore ex you don't want to use or an upgraded beverage package that has the spirits on it. Azamara does not include dining in the specialty restaurants. You can buy the extras if you want. Their prices are comparable to oceania's prices now for cruise only. before I booked a Croatia intensive cruise for Sept. 24, I looked at O's version of the same cruise. AZ came out ahead plus I get a $500 rebate check after the cruise. Also, AZ has not shortened port times like O has done on all of their itineraries.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Azamara pricing includes gratuities, self service laundry, wine and beer with meals. You don't have to pay for shore ex you don't want to use or an upgraded beverage package that has the spirits on it. Azamara does not include dining in the specialty restaurants. You can buy the extras if you want. Their prices are comparable to oceania's prices now for cruise only. before I booked a Croatia intensive cruise for Sept. 24, I looked at O's version of the same cruise. AZ came out ahead plus I get a $500 rebate check after the cruise. Also, AZ has not shortened port times like O has done on all of their itineraries.

So they do not offer cruise only either.....and their included beverage package is the same as Simply More included beverage package.  Trying to understand the options for a smaller cruise experience.  Any TA that is offering a rebate after sailing on Azanara offers the same for Oceania (at least in my experience).,,,so the difference is no shore excursions and paying for specialty restaurants

7 minutes ago, basor said:

So they do not offer cruise only either.....and their included beverage package is the same as Simply More included beverage package.  Trying to understand the options for a smaller cruise experience.  Any TA that is offering a rebate after sailing on Azanara offers the same for Oceania (at least in my experience).,,,so the difference is no shore excursions and paying for specialty restaurants

No, the AZ beverage package included is only beer and wine. The Simply More beverage package has hard liquor included. Currently O charges $40 a day per person for that. That means I have to add $80 a day to a cruise only priced O cabin. I can cover my onboard drinks with the OBC I get, some from O and some from my TA.

All bookings include FREE champagne, wine, and more with over 30 alcoholic and non-alcoholic choices for lunch and dinner.

Isn't  the O Life shore ex option usually $600? So there is another $1200 I save by booking cruise only. Forcing people to take O shore ex is a money maker for them. Since it is a use it or lose it credit, most people will use it so as not to make a donation to Oceania.

I have never had a TA who pays me a rebate on an Oceania cruise, I usually get a discount up front.

• Like 1