NCL AIR

brer111

14 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Not only possible, it's very probable, due to lack of flights to Quebec.

Spelled out in the T&Cs for the promo. They will provide an airport to port transfer on the day of your cruise.  You are on your own if you go earlier.

So we have to make our own way from Montreal to Quebec. Flights may be tough but there are flights. We have made this cruise 3 time and we have always flown in Quebec ? 

9 minutes ago, tsmith6719 said:

So we have to make our own way from Montreal to Quebec. Flights may be tough but there are flights. We have made this cruise 3 time and we have always flown in Quebec ? 

My cruise ends in Quebec.  If I take the post-cruise tour to Montreal I'll still get home faster than if I left from Quebec. There may be flights but not too many meet the NCL criteria, for me anyway (Oregon).

But I'm still waiting for my flight info and my cruise is before yours -  I've not gotten any notification, other than be patient, info coming. But I did book the Montreal excursion so they know I'm expecting to leave from there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

My cruise ends in Quebec.  If I take the post-cruise tour to Montreal I'll still get home faster than if I left from Quebec. There may be flights but not too many meet the NCL criteria, for me anyway (Oregon).

But I'm still waiting for my flight info and my cruise is before yours -  I've not gotten any notification, other than be patient, info coming. But I did book the Montreal excursion so they know I'm expecting to leave from there.

We are cruising out of Quebec and home from  Boston . I don't see an issue with Boston. There are flights from Montreal to Quebec as late a 10 pm but we will not know when we land in Montreal till 30 days out.

54 minutes ago, tsmith6719 said:

I don't recall anything  in the promo saying we can fly you to the wrong city. I know Quebec is a small airport but they have had 10 months to book the ticket. 

29 minutes ago, tsmith6719 said:

I don't recall anything  in the promo saying we can fly you to the wrong city. I know Quebec is a small airport but they have had 10 months to book the ticket. 

It's in the T&Cs.  And they start booking 75 days in advance, after the window for choosing a deviation closes. https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

image.thumb.png.1fd59d77cf5a1d588e823ee1569d4e97.png

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If you booked air through NCL, the transfers are typically included already for a fee. You can cancel them if you want and get that money back. With a large group, depending on where you're traveling to/from, it's easier, faster, cheaper to do your own transfers. 

Going to your trip the transfers will make you wait at the airport for other flights to come in before they pick you up. Going from your trip, if you don't get a big head start you risk missing your flight due to delays at customs and long lines. 

We no longer book the transfers - would rather get there when we're ready instead of having to wait for others.

We are going to deviate so I will definitely be arranging my own transfers. I am just worried about having enough time to do so with flights being released so late in the game. 

14 hours ago, LDL1220 said:

How far out do you need to book transfers? That was my concern. We are a party of 4. 

I can only relate my current experience with this.  We are a party of three.  We got our Air Confirmation 60 days before our flights.  We took a two-day pre-cruise deviation, and we weren't able to book our hotel through NCL. So, we were on our own to locate a hotel and transfers.  I previously posted the contact info for our Rome hotel as I booked our rooms there because we would be able to use the hotel shuttle as a backup plan.  As soon as I got our Air Confirmation, I tried booking private car transfer service since I finally had our flight information to book the transfer to Rome.  Because we are a party of three with our luggage, we needed to book a van as a car wouldn't handle three passengers and luggage.  I expect the same would apply to your party of four.  Every car service that has vans were already booked 60 days out.  I was only able to book our vans (to Rome and to Civitavecchia) through our hotel's concierge.  We didn't want to go to the port in their bus, but at least that was an option if the concierge couldn't arrange the private transfer.  Fortunately, the concierge was able to accommodate us.

If the hotel option doesn't work for you, maybe the following video may be of help.  There are other videos available on YouTube as well.

2 hours ago, LDL1220 said:

We are going to deviate so I will definitely be arranging my own transfers. I am just worried about having enough time to do so with flights being released so late in the game. 

We received our flight info 83 days out. Others on our cruise started receiving 10 days ago or more.

• Thanks 1

Threads like this had me expecting the absolute worst but the price I paid for my flight allowed me to book a much larger trip and not skimp on experiences  Flat out - how your NCL airfare works out has everything to do with your personal situation - most importantly the number in party, the cities involved, and when you are flying.  

My personal experience- I am sailing solo, flying from Atlanta to Marseille, France in October, returning from Trieste, Italy.  I received my flight confirmation at 74 days out.  Yes, as in the day after changes are required.  My flights are WAY BETTER than I would have booked for myself, I paid hundreds of dollars less than I would have taking twice the amount of time getting there - I love researching travel and followed pricing and routes from booking until confirmation.  I have also already selected my seats for all legs.  I AM HAPPY.

BOTTOM LINE- You need weigh the savings vs. what could be complicated for your unique situation.  Solos and couples are much easier to accommodate over families and groups.  Flying out a smaller airport almost guarantees you will have additional legs both ways, even if nonstops are available, they are rarely reasonable and fill up fast.  Traveling during off or shoulder seasons make a huge difference on seat availability.  

I feel like this is Traveling 101 but after reading horror stories I was holding my breath until my confirmations arrive.  I can now relax and enjoy my trip.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I can only relate my current experience with this.  We are a party of three.  We got our Air Confirmation 60 days before our flights.  We took a two-day pre-cruise deviation, and we weren't able to book our hotel through NCL. So, we were on our own to locate a hotel and transfers.  I previously posted the contact info for our Rome hotel as I booked our rooms there because we would be able to use the hotel shuttle as a backup plan.  As soon as I got our Air Confirmation, I tried booking private car transfer service since I finally had our flight information to book the transfer to Rome.  Because we are a party of three with our luggage, we needed to book a van as a car wouldn't handle three passengers and luggage.  I expect the same would apply to your party of four.  Every car service that has vans were already booked 60 days out.  I was only able to book our vans (to Rome and to Civitavecchia) through our hotel's concierge.  We didn't want to go to the port in their bus, but at least that was an option if the concierge couldn't arrange the private transfer.  Fortunately, the concierge was able to accommodate us.

If the hotel option doesn't work for you, maybe the following video may be of help.  There are other videos available on YouTube as well.

This is what I am worried about. Not having time to book. I guess worst case scenario we could take two cabs. Thank you for the info. 

Edited by LDL1220
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pookie2u said:

Flying out a smaller airport almost guarantees you will have additional legs both ways, even if nonstops are available, they are rarely reasonable and fill up fast.  Traveling during off or shoulder seasons make a huge difference on seat availability. 

I thought I would be 'gold' flying round trip, NYC (JFK) to Rome and back.  I figured we would have non-stop flights between such large, busy airports.  Nope!  Outbound, via Iceland and return via Montreal.  I'm not complaining though, with the BOGO, we saved a lot of money to use on private airport/cruise port transfers...😉

12 hours ago, julig22 said:

It's in the T&Cs.  And they start booking 75 days in advance, after the window for choosing a deviation closes. https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

image.thumb.png.1fd59d77cf5a1d588e823ee1569d4e97.png

Thanks it took awhile but I found it. I hate getting screwed by small print . I booked this directly with an NCL PCC who told me I would land in Quebec I even got him to send me a screen grab of what he was reading. Right now the flights to Quebec are wide open lets see how this c ones out ..  

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Outbound, via Iceland and return via Montreal. 

I really hope you have some layover time, those would be amazing places to visit!  (I'm kind of jealous.)  I heard someone on my cruise routes through Amsterdam on their return while I go to Philadelphia.  I wonder if they would like to trade 😆

I agree, I'd have also had thought you would be gold, in reality Rome has been far busier than normal right now so flights are not as golden as they should be.  That may be why you are traveling less busy routes.  

I'm glad you are happy.  We are not alone 😄  

Anyone had experience to layover for more than 6 hours to connect a flight through NCL BOGO?

After NCL provided the flight information, could you cancel any flight ticket with NCL (just purchase the cruise)?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, HSBC said:

Anyone had experience to layover for more than 6 hours to connect a flight through NCL BOGO?

After NCL provided the flight information, could you cancel any flight ticket with NCL (just purchase the cruise)?

Thanks!

NCL protocol is 4hr or less on layovers. But I did have an overnight layover once because they had to rebook at the last minute due to an impending strike/flight cancellations. I had requested a 1 day deviation but ended up arriving early on the morning of my cruise because of the new route. The airport had sleeping pods so I just booked one of those and cancelled my hotel arrangements.  I had already planned to use the NCL shuttle from the airport so no issues there.

As to cancelling your flight - sure you can probably cancel but at a minimum you will forfeit most if not all of the airfare you paid.

Edited by julig22
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tsmith6719 said:

Thanks it took awhile but I found it. I hate getting screwed by small print . I booked this directly with an NCL PCC who told me I would land in Quebec I even got him to send me a screen grab of what he was reading. Right now the flights to Quebec are wide open lets see how this c ones out ..  

For our cruise in September, NCL had us arriving in Montreal at 11:54am, the day of the cruise.  They were allowing 1 hour to deplane, go through customs and get on the shuttle to Quebec City.  I don't understand their logic.  Ship is scheduled to leave at 4pm.  Shuttle ride is 3.5 hours.  I called several times but no one understood why I was frustrated.

26 minutes ago, lgboxing said:

For our cruise in September, NCL had us arriving in Montreal at 11:54am, the day of the cruise.  They were allowing 1 hour to deplane, go through customs and get on the shuttle to Quebec City.  I don't understand their logic.  Ship is scheduled to leave at 4pm.  Shuttle ride is 3.5 hours.  I called several times but no one understood why I was frustrated.

That cutting it way to close ..

10 hours ago, HSBC said:

Thanks!

I was told by NCL layover should be no longer than 5 hours

We just received our flight info for our October POA cruise.   This is the first time we let the Cruiseline arrange our flight for us and I was pretty nervous.   But we got great flights, we couldn't have booked any better for ourselves.  Saved over $1000 too!!  I'm happy, happy, happy!!

• Like 3

On 8/12/2023 at 9:32 AM, LDL1220 said:

You're waiting to book your airport transfers until you have your flights? Why? 

Any company worth their weight in salt will take your reservation now with an estimate on the arrival time, and once you get the actual confirmation of flights will adjust accordingly.

Do a mock booking - if most flights are getting you in at 6 - 8am, tell them that. They will be flexible once you've got it on the books and gave them a deposit.

That's exactly what I did for our upcoming Iceland trip. Said I think my flights will get in between 7 - 9am, so pickup around 9 as an estimate, and we bumped it to 9:30 when I got the real flight info. No issues at all.

5 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

You're waiting to book your airport transfers until you have your flights? Why? 

Any company worth their weight in salt will take your reservation now with an estimate on the arrival time, and once you get the actual confirmation of flights will adjust accordingly.

Do a mock booking - if most flights are getting you in at 6 - 8am, tell them that. They will be flexible once you've got it on the books and gave them a deposit.

That's exactly what I did for our upcoming Iceland trip. Said I think my flights will get in between 7 - 9am, so pickup around 9 as an estimate, and we bumped it to 9:30 when I got the real flight info. No issues at all.

I am booking through NCL Air and flying out of Charleston. So, your suggestion is to check flights on my date and see the most available? Thank you for taking the time to reply and your guidance. This will be my first international flight. 

On 8/10/2023 at 9:06 AM, brer111 said:

By the time we get to Atlanta , took a shuttle to a booked hotel, we would not get a good night sleep as we  would have to get to airport early for the morning flight and I personally would get no sleep nor my husband being afraid of oversleeping, Also my husband has medical issues too. 

Yeah, your flight sounds pretty terrible - considering between customs and arriving for the next flight you would have at most 6 hours to get to a hotel and sleep.

27 minutes ago, LDL1220 said:

I just spoke to an NCL rep and he told me that most of the time they will put you on a red eye arriving to Rome in the am. Has that been your experience? 

Yes, with the exception of one or two flights to London, all flights from North America to Europe are red eye flights.

If I recall, Reykjavik is also the exception for some flights.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Thanks 2