Credit card registration

smokey01

We sail in 74 days but I have been trying to register my credit card for the past week but it just gives me a message saying there’s a temporary error try later. I know I can register once onboard but would prefer to do it now. Do I have to wait until closer to the cruise departure to do it?

For my sailings in April, I was eventually able to I register my credit card online, though I received the service unavailable message you are getting many times beforehand. However, I had heard so much about how credit card registration made online might not "stick" that I went ahead and went to one of the machines to check and make sure. It had "stuck", but by the time I did that, I might as well have just used one of the machines to begin with. They are very easy and quick to use and if you, like me, are inclined to double -check while onboard, you might as well just wait.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:19 AM, smokey01 said:

We sail in 74 days but I have been trying to register my credit card for the past week but it just gives me a message saying there’s a temporary error try later. I know I can register once onboard but would prefer to do it now. Do I have to wait until closer to the cruise departure to do it?

MSC Customer Services advised me that MSC does not want your credit card on file in the MSC system. Rather than say this online, MSC ‘blocks’ the input. 
Having said that, registering, by machine, onboard is straight forward except your PIN is required.

Cheers…

3 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

MSC Customer Services advised me that MSC does not want your credit card on file in the MSC system. Rather than say this online, MSC ‘blocks’ the input. 
Having said that, registering, by machine, onboard is straight forward except your PIN is required.

Cheers…

PIN required ?

Are you referring to credit cards w/ CHIP +   PIN priority like European cards have ?

Or are you referring to debit cards w/ PIN ?

We didn't need any PIN using our American Express & Chase Sapphire CC on the machines.

A PIN should only be needed for Debit Cards or Credit Cards being used as a Debit Card. I've NEVER been asked for a PIN for my Credit Card when I use it as a Credit card. Including both of my MSC sailings within the past year. However, they may ask for the Security Code/CVV on a Credit Card. (Usually 3 digits on the back of the card, except American Express which is the extra 4 digits on the front.)

2 hours ago, jame_g said:

A PIN should only be needed for Debit Cards or Credit Cards being used as a Debit Card. I've NEVER been asked for a PIN for my Credit Card when I use it as a Credit card. Including both of my MSC sailings within the past year. However, they may ask for the Security Code/CVV on a Credit Card. (Usually 3 digits on the back of the card, except American Express which is the extra 4 digits on the front.)

Agreed about debit cards.

What @Crown Vic and I are referring to: CHIP + PIN for credit cards are mainly for European use.

In the US, majority of credit cards do not have CHIP + PIN feature; while in Europe that's the standard under EMV cards & terminals.

When I travelled years ago to Europe, I found that my US cards would not work at some automated, no attendant terminals like fueling stations, rail ticket machines, parking permit machines, etc...

When I found out that these automated terminals in Europe needs CHIP + PIN for credit cards - while our US cards are CHIP + Signature which is incompatible.  Chip + Signature works in most places in Europe where the merchant will have you sign the thermal print out slip.

CHIP + PIN credit cards are not common in the US - I have Barclays Visa, Barclays Mastercard, & Barclays Business credit cards as well my 2 credit union credit cards which are all CHIP + PIN.  When I use these cards in some newer terminal in the US, it asks for my PIN.  Does not offer a signature option.

Edited by 4sallypat
  • Like 1