San Diego Hotel recommendations

ilv4cruising

Hi there,

We will be in San Diego next April, pre cruise and I'm starting to look at hotels 🙂

We will be staying for 3 nights and I'm currently looking at SpringHill Suites and Wyndham Bayside.  Prices are about the same but the SpringHill includes breakfast.

We are looking for a hotel that is close to a few restaurants, very clean and comfortable beds and room with a coffee maker.  We will probably take taxis/uber/lyft for getting to attractions so that isn't a concern.

I wouldn't mind getting feedback on which hotel might be better.  I've seen some suggestions on this forum already but I wouldn't mind some recent reviews.

Also, if you have a different suggestion that would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

We stayed at Springhill Suites pre-cruise in February and it is a very nice hotel & location. Lots of stuff you can easily walk to along the boardwalk - restaurants, attractions, etc.. Plus, as @DaveOKC said, it's right across the street from the cruise port. 

Our room was very nice & spacious, the bed was comfortable, and my daughter crashed on the in-room couch after coming down to visit us. She said that was comfy too!

We'll book the Springhill Suites for future San Diego departures for sure!

I was getting concerned about Springhill Suites as there have been some reviews saying it was dated and one reported bugs in the bed.  Reviews were from April this year so was worried.  I'm glad to hear some positive reviews.

Also, I'm curious on why the Residence Inn is more expensive (since my understanding it is part of the same building).  What makes it worth the extra money?  Is it that much nicer?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, ilv4cruising said:

I was getting concerned about Springhill Suites as there have been some reviews saying it was dated and one reported bugs in the bed.  Reviews were from April this year so was worried.  I'm glad to hear some positive reviews.

Also, I'm curious on why the Residence Inn is more expensive (since my understanding it is part of the same building).  What makes it worth the extra money?  Is it that much nicer?

Thanks,

First, there is more than one Springhill in the downtown SD area as I recall.  The one near the pier is very nice and about 3-5 years old.  

The Residence Inn is indeed part of the same property and shares most of it.  I have seen costs vary for each, with sometimes one being more expensive than the other.  Usually Residence is a bit more and it is a bit larger with more items in the kitchen area.  Either is fine for a precruise stay.

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

First, there is more than one Springhill in the downtown SD area as I recall.  The one near the pier is very nice and about 3-5 years old.  

The Residence Inn is indeed part of the same property and shares most of it.  I have seen costs vary for each, with sometimes one being more expensive than the other.  Usually Residence is a bit more and it is a bit larger with more items in the kitchen area.  Either is fine for a precruise stay.

Ah yes.  I should have been more specific.  It is the SpringHill Suites Downtown/Bayfront that I was looking at. 

Does your earlier comment still apply (hope so 🙂 )

@ilv4cruising - we stayed at the SpringHill Suites San Diego Downtown / Bayfront and it was fantastic. My comment above pertains to that location. It opened in 2016 as a newly built dual-hotel property. 

There are other SpringHill Suites hotels in the area that the reviews your seeing might pertain to - Oceanside, Carlsbad, Mission Valley, Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, etc.  All I can tell you is that the hotel we stayed in was very nice, looked new (7 years old is still pretty new), and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. 

It is right across from the pier, a simple 5 minute walk and you're dropping off your luggage with a porter to start your cruise journey.

21 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

Ah yes.  I should have been more specific.  It is the SpringHill Suites Downtown/Bayfront that I was looking at. 

Does your earlier comment still apply (hope so 🙂 )

Yes - thats the hotel we have stayed at and really liked it.  Great location for cruisers, nice facility, and friendly staff.  Free breakfast too,

On 6/20/2023 at 1:54 PM, DaveOKC said:

Yes - thats the hotel we have stayed at and really liked it.  Great location for cruisers, nice facility, and friendly staff.  Free breakfast too,

Same here....we'd stay here again.

On 6/20/2023 at 5:30 AM, ilv4cruising said:

Hi there,

We will be in San Diego next April, pre cruise and I'm starting to look at hotels 🙂

We will be staying for 3 nights and I'm currently looking at SpringHill Suites and Wyndham Bayside.  Prices are about the same but the SpringHill includes breakfast.

We are looking for a hotel that is close to a few restaurants, very clean and comfortable beds and room with a coffee maker.  We will probably take taxis/uber/lyft for getting to attractions so that isn't a concern.

I wouldn't mind getting feedback on which hotel might be better.  I've seen some suggestions on this forum already but I wouldn't mind some recent reviews.

Also, if you have a different suggestion that would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

if you want something very different, check out Hotel Del Coronado.  It's on the beach, very historic

( Some Like It Hot was filmed there, Edison installed the lighting, other historical moments).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

We stayed at the Embassy Suites a few blocks away from the pier, not on the waterfront.  Very nice. Amazing breakfast.  

We stayed there about 6 months ago and really liked the ES.  Happy hour (free) and free breakfast, nice large rooms and great staff!  About 4 blocks to the pier.

8 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

if you want something very different, check out Hotel Del Coronado.  It's on the beach, very historic

Just to clarify, the Hotel del Coronado is nowhere near the cruise port. When we stayed there (some decades ago to be sure), the most historic thing about it was the mattress, which might have been original. 

If you are going to stay on Coronado Island, I personally would recommend the casitas at El Cordova Hotel with a Miguels Cocina on the premises. But I would not stay on Coronado Island on either end of a cruise.

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Just to clarify, the Hotel del Coronado is nowhere near the cruise port. When we stayed there (some decades ago to be sure), the most historic thing about it was the mattress, which might have been original. 

If you are going to stay on Coronado Island, I personally would recommend the casitas at El Cordova Hotel with a Miguels Cocina on the premises. But I would not stay on Coronado Island on either end of a cruise.

i know the Hotel del Coronado is nowhere near the cruise port.  The OP said they were not worried about distance, they were going to ride share everywhere.  That was the only  reason I recommended it.  I usually prefer stay somewhere the The Gas Lamp Quarter

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 4:29 PM, 9tee2Sea said:

( Some Like It Hot was filmed there, Edison installed the lighting, other historical moments).  

That looks amazing but it is a bit pricey since we are staying for 3 nights. Will keep am eye on it in case the price drops. Thanks for mentioning it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

That looks amazing but it is a bit pricey since we are staying for 3 nights. Will keep am eye on it in case the price drops. Thanks for mentioning it. 

Look at the Marriott Coronado. You are on the Bay and could even ride the Ferry to the cruise terminal.

In any case, in a city full of great Mexican food, avoid any Miguel's for anything more than a Margarita.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions.  I've booked the SpringHill Suites Bayfront (at least for now) as it offered the best rate.  I'll keep an eye on the rate for the Marriott Coronado and the Embassy Suites in case the prices improve (fairly high for both right now).

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 5:13 PM, DaveOKC said:

We stayed there about 6 months ago and really liked the ES.  Happy hour (free) and free breakfast, nice large rooms and great staff!  About 4 blocks to the pier.

did you walk to peir with suitcases? how easy a walk?

23 minutes ago, lactmom4sons said:

The walk is only a half mile or so,, but I probably would not walk it with cruise luggage. The four hotels directly across from the cruise dock are the InterContinental San Diego, Residence Inn Bayfront, SpringHill Suites Bayfront and Wyndham Bayside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lactmom4sons said:

Yes we did it with luggage and not a bad walk IMO, even though I was a bit out of sorts that week.  I felt it was too short for a taxi.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 10:32 PM, crystalspin said:

If you are going to stay on Coronado Island, I personally would recommend the casitas at El Cordova Hotel with a Miguels Cocina on the premises. 

We loved staying at the El Cordova so much history to that place.  We actually stayed in the old quarters for the Hotel Del construction manager.  Huge two bedroom, two bath, full kitchen, huge living with a dining room that would seat ten people.  On the second floor overlooking the Hotel Del across the street.  

• Like 1