Cancellation Fees changed

LHT28

10 minutes ago, TonicTraveler said:

According to the Oceania rep I spoke with, the cancel fee is $250 and not 10%. Perhaps an error on their website?

It appears it's $250 or 10% of the cruise, which ever is larger.  See @mauibabes's post 48, above.

Here's another comparison to add to the list:

Silversea Cruise beginning April 19, 2023
Penalty period began immediately upon booking April 12, 2021: $200 pp or $400 total (deposit was $5,975)
Cancellation schedule began on December 20, 2022 at 15% (4 months/120 days in advance) 
Final payment due on December 20, 2022 (4 months/120 days in advance)

(We had to cancel this one)

This is a very interesting topic. For me, it kind of opened my eyes.  My experience previously was the key date was the Final Payment.  In my case that would be on August 11, 2023.  That is what I am use to using as my benchmark for fees.  Than one day, I get an email indicating that I was going in to the penalty stage.  I was completely taken off guard and called my Travel Agent.  She informed me of the situation on my two deposits.  

I was not upset, I just figured every brand did it their way.  I immediately purchased my Cruise Travel Insurance. I then went deep into the penalty % and when they go into affect.  Not that I want to cancel my cruise due to this, just so I know what the rules are to this new game to me.  In the past,  had to cancel a cruise at 8 days prior to the departure due to my wife having Covid.  If I would have waited one more day, the penalty would have been 100%.  Instead it was 50%.  The Cruise Insurance made me whole in 15 business days. 

The experience I have had with "O" so far has been outstanding.  That is compared to experience with other brands even the VIP sections of other brands.  I figured, as new as I am to "O" this is just the way it is with the fees.  Not saying it is right but it did remind me of when I researched Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection some years ago. If I recall, deposits were not refundable or maybe not fully refundable from day one. Not sure which.  I just figured, when you raise the level of your cruise brand, this is the way it is.  

I am sorry so many folks that are true "O" guest are upset.  You have an expectations and in some ways you feel betrayed on even a minor level.  Just know, for new folks, it is much less intense because our past was very different than yours.  We hope our future will improve with this new brand to us, "O". Realistic expectations, key word "HOPE". 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

I have an Azamara cruise booked for Sept. 2024. The non refundable booking fee is $75 pp, $150 for the cabin. Oceania's admin fee at $250 is 3 times as much. If I did cancel within the allotted time to get my deposit back that $150 can be applied to another Azamara cruise in the future. Oceania just took that credit away. Azamara cancellation penalties start at 121 days, not 180 like O.

Azamara deposit o the lower rooms is $550, Oceania's is $750.

AZ final payment is due at 120 days.

I'm very glad I booked this itinerary with AZ and not O as I have a lot more flexibility if I have to cancel for some reason. As the cruise issue a year and a half away, who knows what will happen?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Azamara deposit o the lower rooms is $550, Oceania's is $750.

AZ final payment is due at 120 days.

O changed the regular (not onboard) deposit to $500 pp some time in 2022; onboard is still $250.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

O changed the regular (not onboard) deposit to $500 pp some time in 2022; onboard is still $250.

I have never booked onboard for an Oceania cruise. My current cruise coming up was booked with a TA and the deposit was $1500. The AZ cruise was booked with the same TA and the deposit is $1100.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I have never booked onboard for an Oceania cruise. My current cruise coming up was booked with a TA and the deposit was $1500. The AZ cruise was booked with the same TA and the deposit is $1100.

I just booked one via my TA (not onboard) in April and the deposit was $500 pp ($1k total). This matches what's on O's site in the FAQ:
https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005305934-What-is-your-deposit-and-payment-policy-

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I just booked a cruise this past Monday and deposit was $500 per person. Same as a cruise I booked in February. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This is a very interesting topic. For me, it kind of opened my eyes.  My experience previously was the key date was the Final Payment.  In my case that would be on August 11, 2023.  That is what I am use to using as my benchmark for fees.  Than one day, I get an email indicating that I was going in to the penalty stage.  I was completely taken off guard and called my Travel Agent.  She informed me of the situation on my two deposits.  

I was not upset, I just figured every brand did it their way.  I immediately purchased my Cruise Travel Insurance. I then went deep into the penalty % and when they go into affect.  Not that I want to cancel my cruise due to this, just so I know what the rules are to this new game to me.  In the past,  had to cancel a cruise at 8 days prior to the departure due to my wife having Covid.  If I would have waited one more day, the penalty would have been 100%.  Instead it was 50%.  The Cruise Insurance made me whole in 15 business days. 

The experience I have had with "O" so far has been outstanding.  That is compared to experience with other brands even the VIP sections of other brands.  I figured, as new as I am to "O" this is just the way it is with the fees.  Not saying it is right but it did remind me of when I researched Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection some years ago. If I recall, deposits were not refundable or maybe not fully refundable from day one. Not sure which.  I just figured, when you raise the level of your cruise brand, this is the way it is.  

I am sorry so many folks that are true "O" guest are upset.  You have an expectations and in some ways you feel betrayed on even a minor level.  Just know, for new folks, it is much less intense because our past was very different than yours.  We hope our future will improve with this new brand to us, "O". Realistic expectations, key word "HOPE". 

What insurance did you use? Are we allowed specifics on this site?

9 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I just booked a cruise this past Monday and deposit was $500 per person. Same as a cruise I booked in February. 

I booked my cruise June 1, 2022. O must have changed their policy and lowered the deposit from $750 to $500 on July 25, 2022. They may have lowered it due to competition from Azamara. I am in a balcony cabin for tis cruise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

@SATaxman I have been asked this question before and never had an issue.  Issue happen when we suggest a specific Travel Agent.  The company I used the last five cruises was Allianz Insurance Company.  Like most providers, they give you Basic, Normal and Extra coverages.  Very easy to navigate.  

I usually use the mid-level yet I always look at all options.  I also do the actual day I leave my home and the actual day I get back home.  Some folks just do the dates of the cruise.  I have had two claims.  One big one when we had to cancel the cruise 8 days prior due to wife getting covid and the cruise line charged 50% penalty. The next time my adult son got short of breath on a snorkeling excursion. 

Both times, a direct deposit was put into my checking account 15 business day or less from the time I put in the claim.  I hope that helps you. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@SATaxman I have been asked this question before and never had an issue.  Issue happen when we suggest a specific Travel Agent.  The company I used the last five cruises was Allianz Insurance Company.  Like most providers, they give you Basic, Normal and Extra coverages.  Very easy to navigate.  

I usually use the mid-level yet I always look at all options.  I also do the actual day I leave my home and the actual day I get back home.  Some folks just do the dates of the cruise.  I have had two claims.  One big one when we had to cancel the cruise 8 days prior due to wife getting covid and the cruise line charged 50% penalty. The next time my adult son got short of breath on a snorkeling excursion. 

Both times, a direct deposit was put into my checking account 15 business day or less from the time I put in the claim.  I hope that helps you. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I have used Squaremouth and you put info for a quote and it will bring back quotes and coverage comparisons for several companies. That way you can see what companies will include Pre existing conditions waiver if bought within specific days of initial deposit, their look back period for pre existing conditions and if said companies offer the Cancel for Any Reason for additional cost as some don’t offer and if they cover CAR at 50 or 75 %.  Last few times I have actually gone with SevenCorners. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Thank you.

@SATaxman My pleasure. By the way, I love Omaha, Nebraska.  I got several weeks of training their by the Gallop Organization many years back.  I also remember a very Fine SteakHouse downtown.  Great Memories. 

Cruise Well and Enjoy Every moment. 

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@SATaxman My pleasure. By the way, I love Omaha, Nebraska.  I got several weeks of training their by the Gallop Organization many years back.  I also remember a very Fine SteakHouse downtown.  Great Memories. 

Cruise Well and Enjoy Every moment. 

Which steakhouse?

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

For the life of me, I can't remember.  To long ago, sorry.  All I remember was eating the steak and saying it was GREAT.  

Several of the older ones have closed. Several excellent new ones.

1 minute ago, SATaxman said:

Several of the older ones have closed. Several excellent new ones.

I remember it was a small place and it had been there for a while.  Gallop used to be in Lincoln and moved so I know it was in Omaha.  Funny story. I was a professional speaker the majority of my career.  I was on the road from Sunday night until very late Friday or all night fight getting in Saturday morning.  The folks I worked with played a game to find the best steak and Prime Rib in America.  The Prime Rib was House of Prime Rib in San Francisco.  The steak we simply never found one but Peter Lugers in New York was at the top of the list. Those were the days and I miss them.

We do have some good beef in the Midwest. I see a big ol cow in the pasture across the street from me. Actually there are literally 1000's of them in every direction from where I Iive. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember it was a small place and it had been there for a while.  Gallop used to be in Lincoln and moved so I know it was in Omaha.  Funny story. I was a professional speaker the majority of my career.  I was on the road from Sunday night until very late Friday or all night fight getting in Saturday morning.  The folks I worked with played a game to find the best steak and Prime Rib in America.  The Prime Rib was House of Prime Rib in San Francisco.  The steak we simply never found one but Peter Lugers in New York was at the top of the list. Those were the days and I miss them.

Peter Lugar's is still amazing.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Don't credit cards have cancellation insurance? I know mine does. 

In the US typically not; only certain credit cards have varying levels of trip insurance...usually good for low-cost trips and no "extras" (like pre-existing conditions). I have a no annual fee card via my credit union with some decent but basic trip insurance, but would need to buy additional insurance for a spendy trip or one where I wanted more than the basics.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

In the US typically not; only certain credit cards have varying levels of trip insurance...usually good for low-cost trips and no "extras" (like pre-existing conditions). I have a no annual fee card via my credit union with some decent but basic trip insurance, but would need to buy additional insurance for a spendy trip or one where I wanted more than the basics.

My CIBC visa has $2500 CAD per person cancelation insurance. But it has an annual fee. So it would cover deposits and initial cancelation fees unless you book like $20k+ trip..

Sometimes it's worth to oay the CC AF to get all the extra benefits. 

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

My CIBC visa has $2500 CAD per person cancelation insurance. But it has an annual fee. So it would cover deposits and initial cancelation fees unless you book like $20k+ trip..

Sometimes it's worth to oay the CC AF to get all the extra benefits. 

Amex Platinum only covers (up to $10,000) if the entire trip was charged to the card. Lots of other restrictions.

• Like 1