Worth looking at Hollywood Boardwalk area?

dritan

Hi all

I'm just looking for some views on our upcoming plans.  We are from the UK and although we've sailed out of Miami once before, the whole area is quite new to us.  

I will be travelling with my 13 and 15 year old in Oct and landing in Fort Lauderdale airport around 8pm ( flight will be from NY as we are doing a New England cruise first).  The next day we set sail on the Carnival Conquest from Miami.

We are going to be staying in South Beach for a night at the end of our trip and have been there for several nights before.  So my question is, would it be worth just finding a hotel in the Hollywood area when we land in Fort Lauderdale and just getting an uber around lunchtime the next day to Miami port?  It looks like the Boardwalk area is nice, would have nice breakfast options and potentially a cheaper option than Miami Beach?

Any advice?

Sounds like you have a busy trip!  You might want to consider Dania Beach as well.  Close to FLL airport and many of them have free shuttles from the airport. You can get a good night sleep, and be well rested for your cruise.

I would plan on heading to the port earlier than lunchtime. Miami can have a ton of traffic.

2 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Sounds like you have a busy trip!  You might want to consider Dania Beach as well.  Close to FLL airport and many of them have free shuttles from the airport. You can get a good night sleep, and be well rested for your cruise.

I would plan on heading to the port earlier than lunchtime. Miami can have a ton of traffic.

Thanks - I'll take a look in that area too.  I hadn't heard of it previously. 

Will take on board your comment about traffic and will also check to see how many other ships are in port that day.

1 hour ago, Langoustine said:

There is no boardwalk; it's the Broadwalk.

LOL - yes a typo on my part.  In the UK we just have the concept of a Promenade, so Boardwalks and Broadwalks are new lingo.  I've seen videos of it, so know what to expect. 

The Broadwalk is indeed a nice place, but there was a shoot out over Memorial Day weekend.  Three individuals fired several dozen rounds, injuring nine people and sending dozens scurrying for cover.  Reports say the incident began as an altercation between two groups of young men, and escalated into gunfire.

The Broadwalk Sun's Out Guns Out!!

I don't go on vacation to get shot at or dodge bullets. 

I saw that shootout I know exactly where that is. I'm staying in Ft. Lauderdale. Hollywood went Homeywood couldn't tell it could ya🙄. That place was a shootout waiting to happen they knew it let it happen and now it's Homeywood. 

Too bad I liked it down there. 

Stick with Lauderdale. Las Olas and A1A there's so many po po all day long and all night long no worries. Ever.👍

On 6/21/2023 at 8:49 AM, dritan said:

Hi all

I'm just looking for some views on our upcoming plans.  We are from the UK and although we've sailed out of Miami once before, the whole area is quite new to us.  

I will be travelling with my 13 and 15 year old in Oct and landing in Fort Lauderdale airport around 8pm ( flight will be from NY as we are doing a New England cruise first).  The next day we set sail on the Carnival Conquest from Miami.

We are going to be staying in South Beach for a night at the end of our trip and have been there for several nights before.  So my question is, would it be worth just finding a hotel in the Hollywood area when we land in Fort Lauderdale and just getting an uber around lunchtime the next day to Miami port?  It looks like the Boardwalk area is nice, would have nice breakfast options and potentially a cheaper option than Miami Beach?

Any advice?

For a one night stay that late you might consider Hyatt Place. They have a shuttle from FLL to their hotel for $5.00 per room reservation. It's next to the Harbor Shopping center that has a Publix market, shops and restaurants...a favorite of ours is Duffy's.

Use either Uber/Lyft or a shared shuttle (several companies available) from the hotel to POM but I would have a much earlier pickup than you posted.

• Like 1