When Ordering Your P+ Drinks....

golf4me2010

We are sailing on the Joy soon and just curious how you all handle your favorite drinks at the bars on NCL. We upgraded to the P+ package so any brand will work for us. 

I assume when you order your specific/special drink you request it with the 'specific' brand of liquor you desire. What about drinks on the menu do you 'change' the brand to fit your drink package? I'm sure once the bartender knows you they will know the brand you drink but does this ever become annoying or do you 'watch' to see what they are using? I'm interested in getting my money out of the P+ which should not be a problem especially at the whiskey bar.  

Just curious. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

31 minutes ago, golf4me2010 said:

I assume when you order your specific/special drink you request it with the 'specific' brand of liquor you desire. What about drinks on the menu do you 'change' the brand to fit your drink package?

Yes and yes.

I specify what liquor I want AND watch to make sure that's what they actually use... Sometimes you'll get a bartender that refuses to deviate from the exact ingredients on the menu. In that case, I just go somewhere else and get my drinks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golf4me2010 said:

I'm interested in getting my money out of the P+ which should not be a problem especially at the whiskey bar. 

If you are a scotch drinker, do some research and see what they carry on board, I found some descent single malt in the whiskey bar on the Prima last time. But also I saw some sacrilege there as well, some body order JW Blue with coke.

Edited by destar

I plan on being specific to a fault.  A whiskey sour with Old Forester 1910, lemon juice and simple syrup.  If they have egg whites and a few dashes of bitters even better. No sour mix please.  A daiquiri with XXX Rum (not sure what they have) lime juice and simple syrup, served Up).

Edited by frayedend

7 minutes ago, frayedend said:

I plan on being specific to a fault.  A whiskey sour with Old Forester 1910, lemon juice and simple syrup.  If they have egg whites and a few dashes of bitters even better. No sour mix please.  A daiquiri with XXX Rum (not sure what they have) lime juice and simple syrup, served Up).

I hope you're also planning to wait. 😄

13 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

I hope you're also planning to wait. 😄

Well, slowing down the rate it which I consume alcohol has never been a bad thing.  Nevertheless, I generally provide a generous cash tip when ordering my first drink.  I rarely wait very long.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, frayedend said:

Well, slowing down the rate it which I consume alcohol has never been a bad thing.  Nevertheless, I generally provide a generous cash tip when ordering my first drink.  I rarely wait very long.

I apologize. A scene just popped in my head where you are meticulously ordering a 6-ingredient drink to an overworked Filipino trainee who's never heard the term "egg-white". Meanwhile, there are 10 other people waiting to order a simple rum and Coke. It just made me giggle a bit.

And of course, a $10 bill included with your key card will undoubtedly speed up the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, destar said:

If you are a scotch drinker, do some research and see what they carry on board, I found some descent single malt in the whiskey bar on the Prima last time. But also I saw some sacrilege there as well, some body order JW Blue with coke.

I refuse to believe you saw someone order that JW blue with coke 😲😲😲🤣🤣🤣.  I hope the bartender handed it to them in a paper bag, as if they ordered A1 at a Ruth's Chris 

3 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I refuse to believe you saw someone order that JW blue with coke 😲😲😲🤣🤣🤣.  I hope the bartender handed it to them in a paper bag, as if they ordered A1 at a Ruth's Chris 

Well,,,  The bartender Craig, real nice guy, laughed when he saw my jaws dropped to the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I definitely ask for my drink.  I'll watch at the bar, but if course not when I order from a server.  I only drink neat, so I can tell if they try to switch on me.  They could switch a Macallan terra vs enigma on me, but not a JW black 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

A scene just popped in my head where you are meticulously ordering a 6-ingredient drink to an overworked Filipino trainee who's never heard the term "egg-white".

they have egg whites in the philippines!

they are called “egg whites.”

in fact, during the spanish colonial era, egg whites were used in the construction of many churches as part of a mortar mix. rather than throw out the leftover yolks, they were used to create desserts, many of which are still served today. so, egg whites play a big role in filipino culture and cuisine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UKstages said:

they have egg whites in the philippines!

they are called “egg whites.”

Actually, they're called "mga puti ng itlog", but I get your point. I would guess many or most Filipinos just call them egg whites.

The post was intended to be lighthearted.

15 hours ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

I apologize. A scene just popped in my head where you are meticulously ordering a 6-ingredient drink to an overworked Filipino trainee who's never heard the term "egg-white". Meanwhile, there are 10 other people waiting to order a simple rum and Coke. It just made me giggle a bit.

And of course, a $10 bill included with your key card will undoubtedly speed up the process.

No need to apologize.  Honestly, if a bar is super busy I'll ask for a Titos and Soda.  If I'm sitting in a fairly quiet martini bar then I'll order something more specific or off the menu.  I'm sure the mojito bar menu will work for me.

19 hours ago, golf4me2010 said:

We are sailing on the Joy soon and just curious how you all handle your favorite drinks at the bars on NCL. We upgraded to the P+ package so any brand will work for us. 

I assume when you order your specific/special drink you request it with the 'specific' brand of liquor you desire. What about drinks on the menu do you 'change' the brand to fit your drink package? I'm sure once the bartender knows you they will know the brand you drink but does this ever become annoying or do you 'watch' to see what they are using? I'm interested in getting my money out of the P+ which should not be a problem especially at the whiskey bar.  

Just curious. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

You need to specify your drink every time you order. The default is the cheapest spirits available. This is not a contest to wait for a bartender to not make a drink as you desire and you call them out for it. 

If you drink the exact same thing every time you approach the bar, the bartender will remember you. To me, drinking the exact same thing for 7 days is kinda a waste of a beverage package. 

In the evening, we’ll order a Remy Martin Alexander. You can see the bartender shake his head as he puts a $35 shot of one of his better cognacs into a milkshake. By night 2 or 3, he just grabs the bottle of Remy when we walk up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to specify your drink every time you order. The default is the cheapest spirits available. This is not a contest to wait for a bartender to not make a drink as you desire and you call them out for it. 

If you drink the exact same thing every time you approach the bar, the bartender will remember you. To me, drinking the exact same thing for 7 days is kinda a waste of a beverage package. 

In the evening, we’ll order a Remy Martin Alexander. You can see the bartender shake his head as he puts a $35 shot of one of his better cognacs into a milkshake. By night 2 or 3, he just grabs the bottle of Remy when we walk up. 

it gets funny when you actually are going to order something else, but by the time you say it, they are just about finished fixing your usual.  Tipping has it's privileges :) 

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Been there and done that. It makes a really good milkshake!

We were on the Prima with the premium package and you have to always ask for the exact liquor you want, even with the same bartender. And this was with tipping. And at dinner, you have to ask for the premium wine options, you won't always be given the drink menu where those are visible. 

Edited by Sigyn

11 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

it gets funny when you actually are going to order something else, but by the time you say it, they are just about finished fixing your usual.  Tipping has it's privileges 🙂 

If we get a regular bartender, we’ll tip between $2 and $5. And even if the bar is super busy, the bartender always check on us if they see our drinks getting low. If we’re drinking [real] Champaign, the bartender will just come over and tip off our glass without being asked. And… run our card. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Erekosse said:

Been there and done that. It makes a really good milkshake!

Something bout taking a really expensive liquor and putting it into a drink where you can’t tell the difference from it or another liquor jus because you are rich or have paid for it  seems …. Just wrong..

3 minutes ago, djasinsk said:

Just wrong..

Not really. I don't care how expensive the whiskey, bourbon, Scotch, etc. may be -- it's getting a splash of Coke.  That's the way I take it, and I can taste the difference between the good and bad, because it's always a consistent comparison.

23 minutes ago, djasinsk said:

Something bout taking a really expensive liquor and putting it into a drink where you can’t tell the difference from it or another liquor jus because you are rich or have paid for it  seems …. Just wrong..

Don't get me started on all the things that seem wrong in this world. The ingredients in a drink are totally insignificant.