Seattle Express Charges A 'Handicap Tax'!

Guindalf

We're headed to Alaska in early September and are flying in to Seattle from Atlanta the day before.

Looking at transfers from the hotel (Doubletree at SeaTac airport), I called Seattle Express to see what arrangements I needed to make for my mobility scooter. Imagine my shock when I found out that they wanted to charge me an extra $25 for the 45 minute trip from hotel to port! That makes a total of $75.

Insane. Since when when is it acceptable to charge extra for handicapped facilities? 

On 6/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, Guindalf said:

We're headed to Alaska in early September and are flying in to Seattle from Atlanta the day before.

Looking at transfers from the hotel (Doubletree at SeaTac airport), I called Seattle Express to see what arrangements I needed to make for my mobility scooter. Imagine my shock when I found out that they wanted to charge me an extra $25 for the 45 minute trip from hotel to port! That makes a total of $75.

Insane. Since when when is it acceptable to charge extra for handicapped facilities? 

On 6/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, Guindalf said:

Try booking online or call again.  Last year in May we used Seattle Express and they did not charge for my mobility scooter.  They were told in advance to be sure they sent the appropriate vehicle that could accommodate my scooter.  Unless their policy has changed.  I couldn’t find an answer to my question about charging extra.

If they do charge extra, you could call other shuttle operators or Uber?

On 6/23/2023 at 6:00 PM, Guindalf said:

Interesting.  I just booked Seattle Express for my upcoming Alaskan. I did book online.  It asked if we were traveling with a scooter and, based on your experience, I clicked yes just to see what happened.  It then asked if the scooter was over 100 pounds.  If yes, there was an extra charge noted.  If no, then there was no extra charge.  So, they are not charging extra just to transport a scooter, they are charging extra for handling and overweight item.

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Interesting.  I just booked Seattle Express for my upcoming Alaskan. I did book online.  It asked if we were traveling with a scooter and, based on your experience, I clicked yes just to see what happened.  It then asked if the scooter was over 100 pounds.  If yes, there was an extra charge noted.  If no, then there was no extra charge.  So, they are not charging extra just to transport a scooter, they are charging extra for handling and overweight item.

Funny, that question was never asked. My scooter is a Pride GoGo Sport, so definitly under 100 lbs. In fact, if necessary, it can come apart for transportation.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to pay a lot extra in Montreal to get my scooter to the airport in a taxi.   They charged me $45 for a 7 minute ride because I needed an SUV and not a regular size car.   On the way home I only had to pay $20 from the airport back to the same spot and it was a SUV the same size as the previous SUV.