New to River Cruising

Susanb10567

Long time ocean cruiser here with 30 sailings completed….

Now heading off on my first river cruise with my husband and close friends. We are sailing with Tauck on the Blue Danube itinerary and are very excited…

We sail in about a month and I am trying to start think about packing…we usually bring two large suitcases and at least one roller board carryon ..I can’t seem to figure out if that is acceptable…trying to figure out if you need two outfits a day like I do on ocean cruises…I like the idea of changing for dinner after a full day of touring…I have no problem sending out laundry but not sure how long it will take for items to come back…

Any insights or advice for a first time river cruiser will be greatly appreciated…

I've never sailed with Tauck, but I'm going to assume that they work similar to other cruise lines. I've never used laundry, however I have hear that you put it in your laundry bag in the morning and it will be returned either that night or the next morning.

May I suggest, so you are prepared for all possible happenings, you read the posts below?

For this one, you only need to review the ones pertaining to the Danube :

Also, the last few pages of this thread will help you understand just how quickly things can change on the Danube

Enjoy your cruise, it's nothing like an ocean cruise, but we love them.

welcome to river cruising.

luggage...I really dont think any line is going to care how many bags you bring to be honest.  I dont know Taucks dress code but likely other than dinner there wont be one ever (and even dinner may not really have one, though in my experience most passengers will change out of their excursion clothes).

The best advice I can give is don't really expect to spend a lot of time in your cabin, the day tends to be pretty set, eat breakfast, go do an excursion, probably come back to the ship, maybe do another one at 2, get back at 5, rest/get a cocktail, eat dinner at 7 and then end your evening however you want (in the lounge drinking or watching entertainment or just go back and get some sleep). Some days will be lighter (or heavier) than others but this is probably the norm rule.

Meals are at set times but there may be light food at other times, at least cookies.

Expect there to be a decent amount of buses involved. 

Know that some days you will have another ship docked on one or BOTH sides of your ship, meaning passengers from the rafted ships have to cross the others to get to or from land.(this isnt really a problem but it does surprise some people, decent way to get a quick look at a few other ships if nothing else).

Expect to see a lot of river locks, or hear them at night, the European rivers are VERY well controlled, just dont be surprised if you look out your window and see a huge concrete wall...this is normal. (also as above don't be surprised if you see another ships window...and know that works in reverse if you have the blinds open)

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

Relax and enjoy, the vessels are not large more compact and bijou than a sea cruise vessel, easy to find your way around, you’ll soon get to recognise your fellow travellers and the crew. If you have a question about anything ask at reception, usually the font of all knowledge. I usually end up with a chart listing days a note of anything going on, on those days and then I work out what is required clothing wise. We’re off on the Seine for 11 days four pairs of trousers suitable for evening and five tops so mix and match plus a couple of wraps invaluable for chilly air con restaurants and that evening drink on the sun deck. I’ve done similar with daytime stuff and I can get through without wearing the same outfit twice.

Have a great time.

• Like 1

Are you planning 2 checked pieces per person plus carry-ons?  That seems like a lot for a mostly casual itinerary.  I can get by with one roll-aboard bag plus tote for any length trip.  The roll-aboard is expandable to allow space for purchases and can be checked on the return.  I go through sneakers every 4 to 5 months so I can usually jettison an old pair when traveling to also make more space available on the return.  Easy enough to have a few different tops for evenings to go with one pair of dressy pants, planning to wear each top 2-3 times.  Laundry service is excellent on Tauck and you can really reduce your schlepping by utilizing the service.

I know someone who only travels with old clothes and she jettisons almost everything to make space for purchases on the return.

I sailed Tauck last year, and they asked that each passenger only bring one suitcase to minimize the staff's workload.  I was on an 8-day cruise and was able to pack enough in one suitcase and a carryon to get me through without having to send out laundry.  We often got back late from tours, and I sometimes wore the same top to dinner and exchanged my leggings for a pair of pants.

34 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I know someone who only travels with old clothes and she jettisons almost everything to make space for purchases on the return.

That’s novel. I did that with luggage once but not the contents. 

You definitely don’t need two new outfits per day. Mix and match! Bring separates. You need a good pair of walking shoes or sandals and maybe a dressier pair for dinner. Country club casual for dinner. A couple of dresses but nothing too fancy. 

Bring a waterproof jacket. Tours go out rain or shine.