NCLH Press Release on “Simply More”

Classiccruiser777

Our Oceania Club Ambassador, Cella, gave us aboard the Insignia on Monday, our future cruise presentation, and details (except fares, other than they would be rising), on the new Simply More program.

For those booked prior to July 1st, for cruises starting October 1st, we would have the option to change from current program, either cruise only or O Life, to the new program Simply More, at the price in effect when the change is made.  Or we could keep what we have.  Further, if we currently have O Life booked, we could change it to cruise only, but would have to do that quickly, before July 1st…

It will be interesting to get the T's and C's as the program rolls out.  As a rule we don't use Oceania's shore excursions because a) they are simply too expensive and b) we would rather go in small groups where is can see more, and see more unique things that the larger excursions can't. It will be interesting to see if you can get credit if you don't want the excursions just like it has been if you don't want the airfare.  One of the biggest complains I hear from others when we travel is the high cost of the excursions on O and this may be a way to bury those high costs in.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, travelingJimmy said:

It will be interesting to get the T's and C's as the program rolls out.  As a rule we don't use Oceania's shore excursions because a) they are simply too expensive and b) we would rather go in small groups where is can see more, and see more unique things that the larger excursions can't. It will be interesting to see if you can get credit if you don't want the excursions just like it has been if you don't want the airfare.  One of the biggest complains I hear from others when we travel is the high cost of the excursions on O and this may be a way to bury those high costs in.

So far TAs and other sites are unanimous that you will not be able to get the credit for excursions if you don't want them.  And the OBC is specifically for excursions, not any other pre-board or onboard expense.

Your choices will be SimplyMore with air or SimplyMore without air.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

So far TAs and other sites are unanimous that you will not be able to get the credit for excursions if you don't want them.  And the OBC is specifically for excursions, not any other pre-board or onboard expense.

Your choices will be SimplyMore with air or SimplyMore without air.

Celebrity tried All Included! pricing and found out a Lot of us have no intention of paying for a Drinks Package we would not be using.

So, Cruise only Fares became an option.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Celebrity tried All Included! pricing and found out a Lot of us have no intention of paying for a Drinks Package we would not be using.

So, Cruise only Fares became an option.

I don't foresee O rolling back to cruise only fares. Instead, we will likely see more inventive "sales" if they are unable to fill ships after the new program is implemented. They want to raise fares, but it remains to be seen how price sensitive cruise consumers are presently. I think we are observing some of the "revenge spending's" impact on present sailings across many lines and this will dissipate, especially if service doesn't soon return to pre-shutdown levels.

But, then there may be enough customers who have accepted the devolution affecting many industries and will pay simplyMORE for less.

19 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I don't foresee O rolling back to cruise only fares. Instead, we will likely see more inventive "sales" if they are unable to fill ships after the new program is implemented. They want to raise fares, but it remains to be seen how price sensitive cruise consumers are presently. I think we are observing some of the "revenge spending's" impact on present sailings across many lines and this will dissipate, especially if service doesn't soon return to pre-shutdown levels.

But, then there may be enough customers who have accepted the devolution affecting many industries and will pay simplyMORE for less.

Or pay SimplyMore for more.....

25 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

But we all ignore the fact that EVERYTHING is more expensive now. Looks at flights. Our friends just booked premium economy flights to Europe at $3,200 CAD. Per Covid, you could fly business for that kind of money.

And yes, people will pay or stay home. Those are the only choices. I for one don't go back to Celebrity, and I don't drink, so I will likely pay for other people's drinks. The only thing is that I might be doing it on SS or SB, not O if O prices become comparable to SS or SB.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bradpole said:

Sadly I agree

Probably because so many complaints that "Viking/Azamara/fill in the blank" include wine and beer with meals and a shore excursion in every port and O doesn't and figuring out OLife is too confusing and so on....be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

I never understood "OLife".  You pay $600 to get a credit of $600, or get $600 off.  Is this some sort of Jedi mind trick to test your intelligence?

now it will be gone and no longer confusing to anyone...

2 hours ago, bob brown said:

Our Oceania Club Ambassador, Cella, gave us aboard the Insignia on Monday, our future cruise presentation, and details (except fares, other than they would be rising), on the new Simply More program.

For those booked prior to July 1st, for cruises starting October 1st, we would have the option to change from current program, either cruise only or O Life, to the new program Simply More, at the price in effect when the change is made.  Or we could keep what we have.  Further, if we currently have O Life booked, we could change it to cruise only, but would have to do that quickly, before July 1st…

Curious how this would work on board.  We currently have a cruise booked out of Montreal departing on Oct 8th.  We opted out of OLife.  Now, if they are going to make it so drinks are included on our cruise, how will they distinguish those of us with an old reservation to those with a new one that includes alcohol at lunch and dinner?  We are going to have to show our ships ID card at every meal, and the wait staff is going to have to remember this for each table throughout the meal?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

Curious how this would work on board.  We currently have a cruise booked out of Montreal departing on Oct 8th.  We opted out of OLife.  Now, if they are going to make it so drinks are included on our cruise, how will they distinguish those of us with an old reservation to those with a new one that includes alcohol at lunch and dinner?  We are going to have to show our ships ID card at every meal, and the wait staff is going to have to remember this for each table throughout the meal?

At least until the last OLife-qualifying cruises are completed (mid-2025), I would expect that anyone ordering drinks with meals will need to show their card, the same as current practice. After SimplyMore is the only game in town, cards may only be needed when not at a meal. We shall see...

• Like 1

We hope Simply More doesn't change O's bring your own wine and related corkage fee policy for the transition period of having both OLife and Simply More and future only Simply More (as we often enjoy our own selected/purchased wine at dinner).  O's website on July 1st will be changed and will be interesting to see how one navigates both offerings for the transition period of both offerings. If one stays with OLife on a booked itinerary, we will need to access OLife Shore Excursions page...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

We hope Simply More doesn't change O's bring your own wine and related corkage fee policy for the transition period of having both OLife and Simply More and future only Simply More (as we often enjoy our own selected/purchased wine at dinner).  

Hey I'll speculate. Most all-inclusive lines or alcohol-inclusive lines allow you to bring your own -- because you've already paid for the priviledge. So I *hope* the corkage policy will remain unchanged. I have no specific info, but I was a professional guesser for 15 years (aka stock analyst).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously, we still don't know how this new pricing system will be fully implemented, but what this does not appear to be an improvement over the current OLife mess.  To me, it is more remarkable how this is not much of a change/improvement from now.  Oceania is still playing this "it's free but you have to pay for it" game, and the pricing break-down is still not fully transparent.  I agree with the "more" part of the marketing, but not the "simply" part of it.  But I never assumed this is going to be a consumer-friendly change to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

We hope Simply More doesn't change O's bring your own wine and related corkage fee policy for the transition period of having both OLife and Simply More and future only Simply More (as we often enjoy our own selected/purchased wine at dinner).  O's website on July 1st will be changed and will be interesting to see how one navigates both offerings for the transition period of both offerings. If one stays with OLife on a booked itinerary, we will need to access OLife Shore Excursions page...

After 01JUL - the only option that you will have available to book is Simply More with or without Air...the shore excursion page will be exactly the same for either OLife or Simply More.  If you are under Simply More, when you book excursions, your shore excursion OBC will be deducted from the cost and if you are under OLife (with shore excursion perk) your free excursions will be deducted.  That being said, the shore excursion page has been very wonky before so it might take awhile for it to proceed correctly.

Personally I think where they are going to get you is on the credit for not taking air.  Now most can kind of figure out how much the credit should be for not selecting the air in OLife.   People will see the per person increases including the basic drink package and the OBC for excursions and it including air. I just have a gut feeling when you indicate you don’t want the air, the credit for not taking it is not going to be as much as some expect moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, basor said:

After 01JUL - the only option that you will have available to book is Simply More with or without Air...the shore excursion page will be exactly the same for either OLife or Simply More.  If you are under Simply More, when you book excursions, your shore excursion OBC will be deducted from the cost and if you are under OLife (with shore excursion perk) your free excursions will be deducted.  That being said, the shore excursion page has been very wonky before so it might take awhile for it to proceed correctly.

Yes, let's hope the system functionality will work well!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Personally I think where they are going to get you is on the credit for not taking air.  Now most can kind of figure out how much the credit should be for not selecting the air in OLife.   People will see the per person increases including the basic drink package and the OBC for excursions and it including air. I just have a gut feeling when you indicate you don’t want the air, the credit for not taking it is not going to be as much as some expect moving forward. 

A TA will quickly be able to give you price with and without air - the same as booking on line, price with air posted, click on "no air" and reduced price is shown.....won't be a big mystery.  Whether you are happy with the credit is a different story......those of us that have cruises already booked for 2024 and 2025 can compare what the air credit is now and what it is under Simply More to see if O is "getting us" with a much reduced air credit.

5 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

So that should make you happy?!

Not especially. But perhaps O will become considered Viking Lite, not withstanding the attempt to eschew the upper premium categorization in favor of “luxury.” Almost as inclusive as Viking at lower prices.

2 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Not especially. But perhaps O will become considered Viking Lite, not withstanding the attempt to eschew the upper premium categorization in favor of “luxury.” Almost as inclusive as Viking at lower prices.

Just thought anything that made it more like Viking you would like since that is your favorite cruise line. Why I thought you’d be happy about it.  

3 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Just thought anything that made it more like Viking you would like since that is your favorite cruise line. Why I thought you’d be happy about it.  

Former favorite. We were becoming more independent minded (DIY and private excursions) after three Viking cruises (with two more booked that were cancelled due to the shutdowns). Viking was a great hatchway to cruising for us. But Viking has become expensive enough that we have considered Regent (we book business air) and we would prefer not to pay for inclusions we don’t use. Also, if Viking, to us, is off-puttinly paternalistic.

Shortly before threads appeared in this forum about the upcoming simplyMORE changes we booked our first Oceania cruise on Vista for August ‘23. We are looking forward to this and liked the ala carte pricing model. The simplyMORE changes will not, by themselves, cause us to ditch Oceania after one cruise, but paying higher prices for unwanted inclusions will favor comparisons with other lines. Based on comments I’ve read among the O forum, Seabourn is growing in appeal.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Former favorite. We were becoming more independent minded (DIY and private excursions) after three Viking cruises (with two more booked that were cancelled due to the shutdowns). Viking was a great hatchway to cruising for us. But Viking has become expensive enough that we have considered Regent (we book business air) and we would prefer not to pay for inclusions we don’t use. Also, if Viking, to us, is off-puttinly paternalistic.

Shortly before threads appeared in this forum about the upcoming simplyMORE changes we booked our first Oceania cruise on Vista for August ‘23. We are looking forward to this and liked the ala carte pricing model. The simplyMORE changes will not, by themselves, cause us to ditch Oceania after one cruise, but paying higher prices for unwanted inclusions will favor comparisons with other lines. Based on comments I’ve read among the O forum, Seabourn is growing in appeal.

Ok, makes more sense hearing the back story. Hopefully you will enjoy your vista cruise.  I know we did very much.  I think with the shore excursion credits going forward you will still be able to do quite a bit. With their prices those credits per stateroom will go quickly. I kind of wish they based the credits on the number of days in port instead of days of cruise.