Willdra's Heavenly Carnival Horizon Apr. 29-May 7 Cruise Review

willdra

Get Off Of Our Ship Day

We had to get up at 6:30am. A couple of weeks prior to the cruise, Southwest canceled our 4:30pm nonstop departure, and rebooked us on a 7:30pm nonstop flight. This would put us back in ATL around midnight. How lovely of them. They also made sure that there was no better option for us to switch to. Wonderful. Thank you Southwest! Since we had all kinds of time to pass, we were doing the "Top 10 Best of Miami and Transfer to FLL" excursion that would take us sightseeing in Miami, then on to FLL. 6:30am was crazy early, but once I actually got up, it wasn’t too bad. Or was it?

At around 7, they started Diamond/Platinum debark. We left the cabin around 10 after 7. We needed to be in the Liquid Lounge by 7:30. We took the mid elevators and waited maybe 10 minutes. When we got to deck 4, it was a disaster. There were people everywhere. The line went through the Liquid Lounge so we couldn’t truly tell where to go. We walked in thru the middle, and when we got in the lounge, I was able to ask a Carnival Rep. She told us to sit on the left and they would let us know when it was time to go. Got it.

i-f7gx6h6-L.jpg

i-3QD6k2W-M.jpg

• Like 10

While we were waiting, a lady behind me picked up my excursion ticket, and handed it to me. I dropped it when I gave W his sticker. I looked in the envelope to check,  and yes, I’d dropped the other one too. It was under my chair. So this is how this day is going? I hope not.

At around 7:35 they started letting us to line up to get out. We were basically weaved in with the self assist passengers, so it became a huge confused bunch of people. We were told we had to walk downstairs to Deck 3, but when we got out of the lounge they let us take elevators that were reserved. We get in and rode down to Deck 3. Right when we walked out of the elevator, I thought "Hmmm I feel really light for some reason". Then it hit me. I'd left my backpack in the Liquid Lounge! What the mess. I told W, and he said "Go get it, I'll wait here." Big huge deep breath.

I went in against the tide. I ran back upstairs and back into the Liquid Lounge. I must’ve said “Excuse me I’m sorry” a hundred times. All the way, I was also praying that nobody turned my bag in. When I got there, it was laying right on the chair where I left it. I grabbed it, put it on, thanked God, then fought my way back thru the crowd. There was a guy in front of me who had to go back too, so I was lucky I could just followed him back. I was even able to get on the elevator to ride down again. What felt like an eternity later, I joined W back on Deck 3. I told him he was going to have to check after me all day. This dropping and leaving stuff had me shooketh to the max. Fix it Jesus. This is not like me. I hope. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Since there were bodies everywhere, we waited in line with everyone else. I thought that our excursion would debark together in a group, but that was wishful thinking. They were currently debarking self assist by muster station. Everybody and their grandmother was out there. We kinda had a shore excursion line but not really. It was every man for himself, and God for us all, getting off of that ship. Not my favorite way to debark.

We got down to baggage claim around 8. Luggage was on the floor and also on the conveyor belt. W had one of our suitcases, so he couldn’t really maneuver too much without leaving it. I started looking around to make sure our bags weren’t already pulled off. While I was looking, our other 3 bags came out on the belt. We got them, then went back to get into the passport line part of immigration. I have to admit, the Smile and Go technology is super fast. Please get your passport. If you can.

i-gQTx7rB-L.jpg

• Like 12

Outside of the terminal there was a carnival rep who told us to go down to bus 11 and 12. There was another line forming in that direction, for no reason. We walked around them to the buses. After asking several times (there were no signs), we found our bus. This part was a little weird because our bus was actually going to MIA and FLL after the tour. At 8:53 after 3 more people got on (where were they this whole time?) we left.

Michael was our guide Juan was the driver. First, we drove over to Miami Beach. We were told about the area and points of interest over there.

i-6bBRZnm-L.jpg

i-5Kmdhzq-L.jpg

i-jBHm7PP-L.jpg

i-hdhJ79z-L.jpg

i-jT9nMfs-L.jpg

i-kbVPtrZ-L.jpg

i-KT36Gqs-L.jpg

i-XkMrgQm-L.jpg

i-2CtZbSC-L.jpg

• Like 9

Our next destination was Little Havana. We had an hour and 45 minutes there. We stopped at a restaurant where we got free samples of Cuban coffee. That Cuban coffee was everything that I didn't know I needed. I felt my whole life coming together after the first few sips. It was so good. I felt like I could solve all of the world’s problems and then walk home to GA after that one little cup. I see what the Cuban’s are so happy about.

We were given the choice to eat there, or elsewhere if we wanted. W and I opted to eat there, since we'd skipped breakfast on the ship. Don’t do that. I ordered a house Cuban and Mojito Fama. The mojito was smoking furiously when they brought it. The couple at our table kept asking me questions about it. "Why is it smoking? What does it taste like? What is it called? Have you ever had one before? Does is taste the same as before?" Look. Just get it. I can’t taste it for you, you have to do that yourself. Try something new, step out of your shell, or don’t. But I’m not the tour guide here. Or am I???

We took our time eating, since we had a good little while there. If you’ve wanted to go to Little Havana, and you have the time, I would highly recommend it. We really enjoyed our time there.

i-FK3nbxB-L.jpg

i-DmZjBXN-L.jpg

i-jQ3fnCc-L.jpg

i-hgxZvmc-L.jpg

i-xDXNCQ3-L.jpg

i-3zgPQD2-L.jpg

• Like 12

After we ate, we paid, then strolled down 8th street. We went in a gift shop and I got a few items and some coffee. Now I need to get me one of those little coffee makers to make it, cuz it won’t taste right otherwise. Our last stop was Azucar Ice Cream. I had the café con leche. One scoop was actually 3 scoops of pure delight. It was so good. W and I walked around a little after that and then back on the bus around 11:35.

i-JWkNJWh-L.jpg

i-gDWtLhj-L.jpg

i-gVvSKDn-L.jpg

i-bdLtdkm-L.jpg

i-LfJhw36-L.jpg

i-k6vvxrT-L.jpg

i-KQbTgV6-L.jpg

i-3rQVpNS-L.jpg

i-dKFhTNR-L.jpg

i-JJ3fPJx-L.jpg

i-gSDvrJL-L.jpg

• Like 9

The bus took us around the art district next. We drove around and got some history of the paintings and some of the structures. We were able to get off the bus for about 10-15 minutes to take pictures on one of the side streets. The view from the bus was better since we were higher up.

i-F64Ht5n-L.jpg

i-2rBX9qc-L.jpg

i-LVkjDWr-L.jpg

i-ZwgvdTK-L.jpg

i-PMVbgmt-L.jpg

i-mgRfbcg-L.jpg

i-kkJRXpd-L.jpg

i-8ZnQjrm-L.jpg

• Like 6

After we drove around and saw a lot of the spray paintings, sadly, it was time to drop off the passengers at the Miami Airport. We dropped them off around 12:55. Then we drove over to Ft Lauderdale airport. We got there around 1:30. W and I couldn’t check in to our 7:25 flight until 3:25. We passed the time by reading, snacking, and people watching.

The baggage check in and TSA were lightning fast. Because we had Pre-check we were done with security in 9 minutes. It was a short walk to our gate. We still had a good 3 hours to wait to boarding. This was a very long day. 

W and I made it home at around midnight, which was very late. Nothing bad happened, so we were very thankful for that.

Before I fell asleep I said a prayer thanking God for soft toilet paper. This is something that is so underrated, until you don't have it. After a week of wiping with a square of sandpaper on fire, my bum rejoiced at the first sight of Charmin. Thank you God! 

i-hx9wVDr-L.jpg

The End 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, princess76021 said:

I just love your dimples!  I'm an Italian grandma, I want to just pinch your cheeks!  Affectionately!!!

Hugs from Texas!!

LOL thanks! 🤣😂

• Like 1

Fantastic and witty as always ! We loved the Horizon. We also loved the junkanoo bus in Aruba ! 
I too hope we find ourselves on a cruise with you guys somewhere in the future ! I am thinking for our March cruise, of coming into Fort Lauderdale, just to take the Miami tour ! You made it look fun ! LOL 
Congratulations on making Diamond ! 

Edited by Indiansbaseball
  • Like 3