Luggage

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe. Again check your airline. Many airlines say a maximium of 62 linear inches. So a common size like is 27" x 21" x 14" is exactly 62. 29" would have to be smaller on height or depth for airlines like American,United and Delta. 62 linear inches seems to be pretty standard for US airlines. Some airlines might allow you to go over that with an oversize fee. Also check weight allowances. Some are 50lbs and others are 75lbs. 

My understanding is the 62" refers to the case size (excludes the wheels when measuring height).  Otherwise, most 29" four-wheel bags would be outside the max, and that clearly isn't the case (no pun intended!).    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

My understanding is the 62" refers to the case size (excludes the wheels when measuring height).  Otherwise, most 29" four-wheel bags would be outside the max, and that clearly isn't the case (no pun intended!).    

The 62" includes the wheels and the handle. There may be one or two airlines that exclude the wheels but when buying luggage it makes sense to include the wheels and not buy for the exception. Some airlines will charge a fee for an oversize bag and others will refuse to check the bag. Probably most will charge a $75 to $200 fee. Most 29" bags would be outside the max. That is why I mentioned 27" x 21" x 14". Actually only 26" bags are going to be safely under the limit.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The 62" includes the wheels and the handle. There may be one or two airlines that exclude the wheels but when buying luggage it makes sense to include the wheels and not buy for the exception. Some airlines will charge a fee for an oversize bag and others will refuse to check the bag. Probably most will charge a $75 to $200 fee. Most 29" bags would be outside the max. That is why I mentioned 27" x 21" x 14". Actually only 26" bags are going to be safely under the limit.

I jumped to a conclusion thinking it too much of a coincidence that the 29" bags from a major luggage company were precisely 62" without the wheels.  Apparently an incorrect conclusion on my part.  Though I have used mine on the airlines you mentioned as well as others without issue for several years and TravelPro says their 29" luggage is OK.  I might need to bring a screwdriver in case they ever decide to enforce the rule.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

I jumped to a conclusion thinking it too much of a coincidence that the 29" bags from a major luggage company were precisely 62" without the wheels.  Apparently an incorrect conclusion on my part.  Though I have used mine on the airlines you mentioned as well as others without issue for several years and TravelPro says their 29" luggage is OK.  I might need to bring a screwdriver in case they ever decide to enforce the rule.   

I don’t think most airline agents are going to use a tape measure on your luggage unless from eyeballing it your luggage stands out as oversized. They probably don’t usually enforce an inch or two over the 62”. Most don’t want to get into a confrontation with a passenger. The weight limit is going to be their primary enforcement. 

If I was buying new luggage, for safety I am going to buy luggage that is under the 62” including wheels. I actually do need to buy new luggage as a cruise line did a job on my 26 “ bag. I don’t think it is usable to be checked again. I will buy a 26 or 25. Probably Travelpro  as I have had best luck with that brand. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I am also looking for luggage. My two cents from my research: Be sure to read reviews on multiple websites on the brand/style you think you like. DO NOT trust the tags for the size, measure when you get it. (and be sure you can return it) Some reviewers have said that the bigger bags are coming in at 64" and they are too big for airlines. I have also seen that many carry on bags, called "carry on" are too big for the airlines. Samsonite has a chart of all of the airlines and their carry on sizes. I am looking for one that will work for this trip and possible future trips with other airlines I might use. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think most airline agents are going to use a tape measure on your luggage unless from eyeballing it your luggage stands out as oversized. They probably don’t usually enforce an inch or two over the 62”. Most don’t want to get into a confrontation with a passenger. The weight limit is going to be their primary enforcement. 

If I was buying new luggage, for safety I am going to buy luggage that is under the 62” including wheels. I actually do need to buy new luggage as a cruise line did a job on my 26 “ bag. I don’t think it is usable to be checked again. I will buy a 26 or 25. Probably Travelpro  as I have had best luck with that brand. 

Thanks for the tips!  I appreciate it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Thanks.  Besides the two 29", we have a matching 25".  We are actually keeping our eyes out for another 25".  I'm still likely to hit 50# before I run out of room.  For me, the limiting factor always seems to be weight as opposed to size.  Weight of the luggage is a key consideration for me.  Another reason to move to 25".  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 8:07 PM, travelfool123 said:

After years of using my luggage, I have to get a new set.  I'm having trouble finding big enough luggage for a 10 day cruise with a 2 day pre-cruise.  Any suggestions for a checked in luggage that is big enough and will pass requirements.  Thanks!

IMHO ... You are packing way too much.  I travelled for a month - 1st a 2 week transatlantic cruise to Amsterdam and flew to Dublin and did a 2 week bus tour of ireland - ALL in a beach bac and 22 inch rolling duffel bag.  Yes I did laundry (or sent laundry out) on the cruise and at the airbnb I stayed at before the bus tour around ireland and then at 1 of the hotels.  But I knew exactly where all of my luggage was at any given time.  No chance of it getting lost or put on wrong airplane.  

• Haha 1

Why do people keep admonishing the OP about wanting roomy luggage?  That is his question; why do we need to know why, or telling him not to pack so much?  DH and I enjoy having tuxedo, dresses, etc. on a cruise that we would not take for a land vacation.  Maybe OP has medical or electronic gear that must be taken. It's none of our business. Just answer the question.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Why do people keep admonishing the OP about wanting roomy luggage?  That is his question; why do we need to know why, or telling him not to pack so much?  DH and I enjoy having tuxedo, dresses, etc. on a cruise that we would not take for a land vacation.  Maybe OP has medical or electronic gear that must be taken. It's none of our business. Just answer the question.

I can certainly understand the OP wanting to take a large bag even if that is not how I personally pack myself.  Part of the fun of cruising has always been the special dinners onboard in addition to the excursions, so cruises are definitely different than packing for a land based vacation.  The one thing the OP might want to keep in mind currently if flying to a cruise would be to also have a carry on with some essentials including at least a change of clothes in the event the larger bag is delayed.  

20 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Thank you!  I don't mind the suggestions about smaller luggage.  I just know what I like to take.  The one lady who was trashing Carnival (my cruise) saying I didn't need a formal, etc.  I didn't ask for her opinion on a cruise line!   I think some people are just miserable and try anyway to try and bring someone down.  Not me.  I could care less your opinion on the cruise line. I've traveled Carnival numerous times and have always had a blast!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoncom said:

EAGLE CREEK  wheelie bags. Mine are 20 yrs. old. Lifetime guarantee.

I have a carry on Eagle Creek and it is at least 15 years old.  Soft side has been a real trooper.  I mostly check it since I travel a lot with equipment that has to be checked and I pay no baggage fees, so it is convenient.  

6 hours ago, MWarren3549 said:

You are packing way too much.  I travelled for a month - 1st a 2 week transatlantic cruise to Amsterdam and flew to Dublin and did a 2 week bus tour of ireland - ALL in a beach bac and 22 inch rolling duffel bag.  Yes I did laundry (or sent laundry out)

You are packing too little if you need to do laundry during the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I find my 29" is always overweight if I fill it unless you plan on bringing things like pillows. A 26" packed well I end up at just under 50lb which is the max without oversize charges from pretty much any major airline. Yes you can go big but remember weight is the real limit you can't surpass. Packing cubes are great to efficiently pack your suitcase but also easily unpack once your in your cabin. I travel a lot and carry a lot of luggage when on business my biggest trick for big trips is to either have your laundry done part way for those everyday essentials like pjs, underwear, tshirts, etc or bring a leave in wash like Soak to hand wash a few items along the way. That way you don't have to bring as much to start. 

I wish they made a good stacking luggage set where I could have my medium suitcase with a small suitcase on top of each other securely while walking.

On 7/3/2023 at 12:35 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Or maybe not everyone owns 30 plus pairs of underwear they want to wear on vacation. Can you imagine the airline looses your luggage with 30 days worth of everything. There is no way here that the airline would cover the full replacement costs. Given the average costs of womens underwear (not including bras) that would be over $600 in underwear alone.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 12:35 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Hahahaha Really?   A 2 week transatlantic and NOT doing any laundry.  Yeah I am NOT packing too little.  I am packing exactly enough that I can control and carry with me and NOT have it lost by the airlines.  BUT that is just me ... who has seen MANY MANY people running around in same clothes because their luggage was lost for their entire vacation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I end up at just under 50lb which is the max without oversize charges from pretty much any major airline. Yes you can go big but remember weight is the real limit you can't surpass.

We are allowed two bags each, maximum 70lb, for our flight next week. We will NOT bring that much!

23 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

We are allowed two bags each, maximum 70lb, for our flight next week. We will NOT bring that much!

We also typically get two bags each, but usually only bring one each.   Sometimes we "donate" our second bag spot to a travel companion that can use it.   

54 minutes ago, MWarren3549 said:

Hahahaha Really?   A 2 week transatlantic and NOT doing any laundry.  Yeah I am NOT packing too little.  I am packing exactly enough that I can control and carry with me and NOT have it lost by the airlines.  BUT that is just me ... who has seen MANY MANY people running around in same clothes because their luggage was lost for their entire vacation.  

You and I have entirely different comfort levels when it comes to lost luggage.  I'm pretty comfortable taking my chances with checked luggage.  I am just not going to lose sleep over something with a low chance of happening.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MWarren3549 said:

We didn't do any laundry when we did a transatlantic cruise but it was only 11 nights.

The risk of losing the luggage is not big enough for me to do laundry on my vacation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

We didn't do any laundry when we did a transatlantic cruise but it was only 11 nights.

The risk of losing the luggage is not big enough for me to do laundry on my vacation.

Well ... a full month of travelling ... flying from Amsterdam to Dublin and 2 week tour from there ... DEF needed laundry services and needed to be able to carry all of my things with me.  To each their own.