Sunday Sea Day Buffet Extravaganza?

Hi all, taking our first Regent cruise on Grandeur, Dec 21, Mia-LA. We have two sea days that occur on Sundays.  From what I've read, this means a grand buffet featuring caviar(asking for the spouse.)  However I've also read that this only happens once a cruise.  So can we expect one included caviar feast or two?  Guidance appreciated.  (The Sundays fall on Dec 24 and Jan 31, so I'm guessing, if it's one, that'll be NYE.)  Correct my logic if I'm wrong.

Also, appreciate guidance on booking the specialties.  Specifically, I'm thinking of booking P7 the first night, as I suspect CR will get very busy(although I'm sure they handle the crush just fine.)  We tend to dine later when cruising, around 8:30.  Hoping that dining time also works for Sette Mari on other evenings.

And if you want to tell me I'm over thinking this, why, yes, I am.  That's part of the fun for us.

• Like 1

You should have one Sunday buffet, and they are special. Usually they are the first Sunday sea day of your cruise. 
IMHO going to a specialty restaurant the first night is a good plan, they don’t tend to be fully booked and service is excellent. It also may provide you with more opportunities to obtain additional nights at your restaurant of choice. 
We also eat later, but not as late as you. Going to Sette Mari about 8 or 8:30 should work well. Be aware the shows usually start at 9:30 if you are interested. 
Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Hi all, taking our first Regent cruise on Grandeur, Dec 21, Mia-LA. We have two sea days that occur on Sundays.  From what I've read, this means a grand buffet featuring caviar(asking for the spouse.)  However I've also read that this only happens once a cruise.  So can we expect one included caviar feast or two?  Guidance appreciated.  (The Sundays fall on Dec 24 and Jan 31, so I'm guessing, if it's one, that'll be NYE.)  Correct my logic if I'm wrong.

Also, appreciate guidance on booking the specialties.  Specifically, I'm thinking of booking P7 the first night, as I suspect CR will get very busy(although I'm sure they handle the crush just fine.)  We tend to dine later when cruising, around 8:30.  Hoping that dining time also works for Sette Mari on other evenings.

And if you want to tell me I'm over thinking this, why, yes, I am.  That's part of the fun for us.

We are also on this same cruise and looking forward to it!  Following for the answer.....

This is a Brunch.  Based on experience(s), we eschewed any breakfast.  Saved tummy space for the elaborate Brunch service in Compass Rose, which began first-come, first-seated open seating around 10:00 am. 

Just enjoy the experience, which we anticipate will be fully replicated when we are aboard Explorer for a September-October cruise to Tokyo.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

And also on Navigator, Mariner, and Voyager.

Marc, as far as I know, the three ships you mentioned don’t serve a Sunday seaday gala brunch. 

All ships serve caviar and champagne for breakfast in La Veranda and Compass Rose.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

Just now, mrlevin said:

I seem to remember Sunday brunch on Navigator last summer.  I think WCers reported on Sunday brunch on Mariner.  I just extended to Voyager; no data.  

Yes, I believe the other three ships occasionally have a Sunday Seaday Gala brunch.  They are more regularly offered on the two largest ships.

FWIIW:

Just completed B/t/B segments on Navigator which included three Sundays.  No "spectacular" Sunday brunch ala Explorer and Splendor.  Had to settle for champaign and caviar, as usual.  Plus, the usual great breakfast options always available at La Veranda and Compass Rose.  

Oh my, how we suffered (NOT)!

GOARMY!

• Haha 2

Army, weren't you on 31 May - 23 June?  If so, 4th you were in port; 11th you were in Montreal for turnover day; 18th you were at sea en route Bermuda.  I don't know if Splendour would even have Sunday brunch on a twelve day port intensive itinerary.

I was on Navigator for 94 days and we had only one Sunday Brunch; of course, COVID was still a concern.

mrlevin:  

Yes.  I should have clarified that two of those three Sundays were in Port.  

Coming this September-October:  Explorer from Vancouver B.C. to Tokyo.  Two Sunday at-sea days.  Looking forward to the one Sunday specified for that Brunch.  I understand the protocol is to offer one such Brunch on a segment even though there may be two such sea day Sundays during that particular itinerary.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

There is the Galley Brunch in the older ships (at least pre Covid). That is my favorite. It is held in longer cruises segments on a sea day, not necessarily on Sun. This one is on theNavigator on a Sat. At these brunches served in the Galley, the food is hot or cold served  at the cooking station and is cut or fixed as you watch or set out in small amounts so it doesn’t dry out. 
I found the Sun Brunch on the Splendor this Dec not nearly as nice, long lines at some stations and food preplated getting cold or drying out or not replenished in a timely manor. To us it was a glorified trip to the buffet up stairs. JMOIMG_3526.thumb.jpeg.125be7861e403d6fe5d8cc478e9e8575.jpegIMG_3524.thumb.jpeg.73ff23d23ca433ce008e8e0c6088f8e5.jpegIMG_3523.thumb.jpeg.f9020ba8aeaf8d97eefd46ec35c0bc31.jpegIMG_3529.thumb.jpeg.2cafa13d9a3c7864a1f9aee05afd2058.jpegIMG_3527.thumb.jpeg.9c829e98e6fb898d52b3b5be96039a06.jpeg

18 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Caviar every Sunday whether sea day or not.  Easiest to go to La Verandah for breakfast and have all you want (they may portion control but no issue on returning for more).

Did not know that about La Verandah.  Thanks for the tip.

19 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I am on that cruise and the transatlantic and rt Miami that precede it. Never hurts to plan. 

there is great food everywhere on the ship

• 3 weeks later...

That looks delicious.  Question, on a seven day cruise where the second day is a Sunday and a sea day (day following embarkation) would they have a buffet of this nature?  Or is it only on longer cruises? On Mariner, if that makes a difference.

Edited by bookbabe

7 hours ago, bookbabe said:

On Mariner, if that makes a difference.

Sorry, no regular Sunday Sea Day Brunch on Mariner; only Explorer & Splendor.

However, champagne & caviar will be available with breakfast in Compass Rose and La Veranda every Sunday 😋

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Sorry, no regular Sunday Sea Day Brunch on Mariner; only Explorer & Splendor.

However, champagne & caviar will be available with breakfast in Compass Rose and La Veranda every Sunday 😋

We had Sunday Buffet on Navigator last year and on Mariner in 2018. May be a function of the chef, who knows? 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1