Spirit/Frontier vs. American Airlines

sydney dog

So I have a choice.  Theses are pretty much the same price and flight times.  Also, both have the same amount of stops.

Fly with Spirit and Frontier and choose the extra cost seats for more "leg room"

or

AA with the seats included in the price.

Thanks!!

Have you factored in all costs, including luggage (both checked and carry on)? There's more to the comparison than just choosing seats. 

I'm an AA frequent flier and have generally had good experiences with them. I've also flown Spirit and Frontier several times and, when I go in with correct expectations, they have been solid. HOWEVER, I personally would not take Spirit or Frontier to a very important, time-sensitive event. For example, I will take Spirit to a guy's weekend in Vegas because if I'm a little late or, even worse, don't make it, it's not a big deal. AA has the advantage of being able to re-route you on multiple flights per day through multiple hubs to get you to where you need to be as quickly as possible...Spirit and Frontier don't. This is an important consideration for a cruise, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Have you factored in all costs, including luggage (both checked and carry on)? There's more to the comparison than just choosing seats. 

I'm an AA frequent flier and have generally had good experiences with them. I've also flown Spirit and Frontier several times and, when I go in with correct expectations, they have been solid. HOWEVER, I personally would not take Spirit or Frontier to a very important, time-sensitive event. For example, I will take Spirit to a guy's weekend in Vegas because if I'm a little late or, even worse, don't make it, it's not a big deal. AA has the advantage of being able to re-route you on multiple flights per day through multiple hubs to get you to where you need to be as quickly as possible...Spirit and Frontier don't. This is an important consideration for a cruise, in my opinion. 

Thank you.  I have factored in all the costs for checked and carry on.  It still is pretty much the same.  The only difference would be the airline itself. Also, I'm coming in 2 days early for a pre cruise vacation so that shouldn't be a factor either.

2 minutes ago, sydney dog said:

Thank you.  I have factored in all the costs for checked and carry on.  It still is pretty much the same.  The only difference would be the airline itself. Also, I'm coming in 2 days early for a pre cruise vacation so that shouldn't be a factor either.

The two days definitely helps. I do like the "Big Front Seat" on Spirit if that's what you're looking at. In this case I'd say it's a matter of what schedule you like more, though I do still lean AA purely for the re-accommodation options should something happen. And get trip insurance, but that's my recommendation no matter who you fly. 

10 hours ago, sydney dog said:

Theses are pretty much the same price and flight times

I assume this is with bag fees factored in as well.  AA is more generous on the cabin baggage front and will usually check it to your final destination for free if the cabin is crowded.  This is a good deal for people that are boarding at the end.

6 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I do still lean AA purely for the re-accommodation options should something happen

100% in agreement with that Spirit really doesn't have interline agreements (I believe) and in many airports they serve a low flight frequency.  If something goes bad, my gut suggests you are going to be accommodated sooner on AA.

Some of the budget airlines are famous for only flying certain routes 2 or 3 times a week, meaning that if something happens and your flight has to be canceled, you may not be able to be rebooked until 2-3 days later.  Whereas a legacy airline like AA will likely have multiple flights a day from your  home airport to their various hub cities, and thus far more options to rebook you and get you there with minimal time lost.