Tipping Retreat Hosts?

Water709

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Are we talking about the person who used to be called a butler or someone else?  If butler I would say yes.  I found ours very helpful for a first time Retreat guest.  And I didn't expect this but ours delivered breakfast every day we asked for it, about 4-5 times.  Plus answered questions and helped us with any arrangements.  I think we tipped him a total of $40, maybe more.  It wasn't a lot.

No, this is not about tipping the butler (who was called your personal retreat host for awhile), but about tipping the Concierges in the Retreat Lounge. 

• Like 1

Back in the pre-pandemic days and, still in the era of Michael’s Club, I gave an envelope (tip) to the concierge. She had resolved a couple of issues for me which were not minor. She thanked me appropriately, and then said, “if you don’t mind, I will put this in the crew fund” I replied that it is for you and how you chose to use it is up to you.” I kept encountering her on subsequent cruises. One night, there were only a few passengers in MC and she and I had a good, long conversation. I asked if I could discuss a sensitive topic with her. She asked what the topic was and I said tipping as a suite class passenger. We gradually got to the topic of tipping the Micheal’s Club and Captain’s Club concierge. The gist of her reply was that it is in no way expected and but is greatly appreciated. We are a salaried position and never expect to be tipped. She went on to say that if a concierge in MC or CC expects to be tipped, they are probably not a good fit for that position. I reminded her of what she told me several cruises prior. Her response was that some concierges choose to keep the tips, but many donate to the crew fund or their favorite charity. I concluded that the MC (now Retreat) concierges do not expect to be tipped for what they do for suite guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

Back in the pre-pandemic days and, still in the era of Michael’s Club, I gave an envelope (tip) to the concierge. She had resolved a couple of issues for me which were not minor. She thanked me appropriately, and then said, “if you don’t mind, I will put this in the crew fund” I replied that it is for you and how you chose to use it is up to you.” I kept encountering her on subsequent cruises. One night, there were only a few passengers in MC and she and I had a good, long conversation. I asked if I could discuss a sensitive topic with her. She asked what the topic was and I said tipping as a suite class passenger. We gradually got to the topic of tipping the Micheal’s Club and Captain’s Club concierge. The gist of her reply was that it is in no way expected and but is greatly appreciated. We are a salaried position and never expect to be tipped. She went on to say that if a concierge in MC or CC expects to be tipped, they are probably not a good fit for that position. I reminded her of what she told me several cruises prior. Her response was that some concierges choose to keep the tips, but many donate to the crew fund or their favorite charity. I concluded that the MC (now Retreat) concierges do not expect to be tipped for what they do for suite guests.

that was my thought as well.  Thanks for your input.

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

No, this is not about tipping the butler (who was called your personal retreat host for awhile), but about tipping the Concierges in the Retreat Lounge. 

Of course we tipped our butler.  We realize we have always prepaid gratuities but we always tip above that to our butler and room attendant as well.

23 hours ago, jelayne said:

I thought the Retreat Concierge’s were 1  1/2 or 2 stripe officers.   The Butlers get a share of the daily gratuity so I thought ( maybe mistakenly) they were not officers and we tip them.  

We tip the Retreat Lounge Staff but not the Concierges unless they have truly done something above and beyond.

If we tried to tip all the stripes ( Officers) who have done something to make our cruise better we would be tipping a lot of Bar or Assistant Bar Manager, Housekeeping Supervisor, MaitreD and Guest Relation staff.

Right or wrong we rarely tip Officers.

We do tip the Retreat lounge staff that serves us drinks there.  We also thought it was not expected to tip officers such as the Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, etc.  

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

I had never seen Retreat Hosts accepting tips before this recent cruise.  It was new to me when I witnessed it.  I realize a passenger can tip whomever they want to, but have never seen an officer of any rank accept a tip in the past.  I'm not judging, I'm just saying I had not seen this.  Thank you for sharing your experience!

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Well we tipped the Concierges in the Retreat lounge.  They took care of us.

• Like 1

I thought the Retreat Concierges were the same level as the Butlers. I’ve tipped them all as well as the bartenders/servers. I have not tipped the Retreat Manager who I thought is an officer. 

I think we are similar to many of the responses.     If someone just does their job and nothing else then we do not feel compelled to tip extra as we have already tipped as part of the tipping program.  

Having said that about 90%+ the time we leave additional tips for the Butler, Room Attendant, Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Bar Tender (if they have been attentive).   The Retreat Hosts, I don't feel necessary to tip if they just do their job but if they go above and beyond we have often bought the host a nice necklace or other gift.    The main reason for this is they have to pool tips but a personal gift they keep.   I know they appreciate it as seeing a Host on a future cruise they often have it with them and come up and say --- did you see my beautiful necklaces.   Usually we try to find a piece by a local artist that represent a port or country in  a subtle way. 

I'll give you an example of something above and beyond.   We were on a cruise a couple months ago and near the last day I noticed I was missing my puffer jacket.   The Retreat host checked with the Front Desk and Retreat and nothing.    I then remembered that at the last port I kept setting off the metal detector and they had me remove everything including my puffer.    The host contacted Security and review the video and somehow (not explained to me) found my jacket and returned it to me.   I had already just written it off in my mind.  

• Like 2

I don’t know if it was above and beyond, but we had a missing $1040 OBC from a travel agency.  It took multiple calls to both the TA and Celebrity corporate, but she got it all straightened out for us.  I thought that merited a nice tip.