Oasis - reading reviews not so great, getting nervous

On 6/30/2023 at 8:32 AM, Pandamonia said:

My advice is to keep your expectations very low on quality and very high on what you will be charged for it. Then you wont get any shocks. 

I do not necessarily know what this is supposed to mean, but I do know that this kind of mindset is not conducive to properly planning an enjoyable vacation, of any kind. Being pre-disposed to future perturbation because of past disappointment - particularly someone else's - will keep you right there in a mental state-of-flux. Don't want to be there as you make your way onto Oasis, or any ship. The only expectations one should have are those that include stress-free experiences and lots of fun. Anything negative negates the reasons why you are planning to cruise on Oasis in the first place.

Reading reviews can be helpful, but you cannot let them determine your state-of-mind. Otherwise, all of your cruising experiences will be vicariously. Of course, that guarantees no disappointments does it not? 

• Like 7

The problem with these reviews is that they are often subjective. Objective comments can be useful but subjective less so. Every cruise I go on it seems like my wife and I have different subjective experiences. Things that bug her don't bother me or vice versa.

3 hours ago, Cruisegirl138 said:

Agreed. I have been to Nassau several times to me it’s one and done.  Not a Bahamas fan. Ty for your reply!  

I just consider the entire Bahamas my vacation home so we go often...LOL

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Things that bug her don't bother me or vice versa.

My hubs and I are just so easy, nothing much bothers us one way tother.  Everything is pretty much copasetic in our shire.  Even keeled I guess...LOL.  There are things that get my dander up, but on a cruise not so much.  Every day is an adventure when we cruise.  The older I get the less I let things bother me, I don't have time to waste anymore......

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

We were on Oasis last August, it was our first time on an Oasis class ship. Like you, we were also seeing a lot of negative reviews about the size of the ship and the amount of people, we were worried as well. Well that was all put to rest on the first day, boarding the Oasis in Bayonne was probably the quickest embarkation we ever encountered. I was impressed. The ship is so large, people are spread out all over, no 1 particular area seemed too crowded. With the exception of one of the comedy shows (make sure you get there early). 

We actually loved the Oasis class ship and are booked on Symphony for next June. With that being said, go in with an open mind and don't let all the negative stuff you read online discourage you. You will have a great time on her!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, teddybear231 said:

We were on Oasis last August, it was our first time on an Oasis class ship. Like you, we were also seeing a lot of negative reviews about the size of the ship and the amount of people, we were worried as well. Well that was all put to rest on the first day, boarding the Oasis in Bayonne was probably the quickest embarkation we ever encountered. I was impressed. The ship is so large, people are spread out all over, no 1 particular area seemed too crowded. With the exception of one of the comedy shows (make sure you get there early). 

We actually loved the Oasis class ship and are booked on Symphony for next June. With that being said, go in with an open mind and don't let all the negative stuff you read online discourage you. You will have a great time on her!

Thank you!!! 

On 6/30/2023 at 6:05 PM, bigque said:

Oasis with bad reviews??? Hell my first cruise was on Sovereign of the Seas back in 2008. If I would have went by what I read about that ship back then I wouldn’t be cruising today. I went in spite of what I was reading and had the best time of my life and been cruising ever since. Stop reading all the negativity and go make your own experience and enjoy. If you don’t like it then you don’t like it and move on! 

I can echo every bit of this post -- including my first cruise also being on Sovereign in 2008. Fell in love with cruising and never looked back.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be to concerned about the negative reviews to much. I was on the Oasis in Mar, 2022 with several family members and we were sailing at about 75% capacity. It didn't seem crowded at all. The only issues I had is that it seemed that they weren't fully staffed after the Covid restart and activities seemed to have very limited hours such as the carousal, zip line, Ultimate Abyss, Rock wall etc. Thye line for the flow rider was VERY long. The Aqua 80 show is NOT to be missed!!! 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Subman738 said:

I wouldn't be to concerned about the negative reviews to much. I was on the Oasis in Mar, 2022 with several family members and we were sailing at about 75% capacity. It didn't seem crowded at all. The only issues I had is that it seemed that they weren't fully staffed after the Covid restart and activities seemed to have very limited hours such as the carousal, zip line, Ultimate Abyss, Rock wall etc. Thye line for the flow rider was VERY long. The Aqua 80 show is NOT to be missed!!! 

Love the aqua and ice show on all oasis class

I've been on Oasis twice.  It's an amazing ship!  There is more than enough to do in the day.  In the evening, there is so much to do you'll have to choose what activity you want to go to.  Yes, sometimes it is crowded; like when leaving the theater because it is a very big ship.  Also, on sea days, the pool is crowded. I loved Oasis and would sail her again.  

• Like 1

I was just on the Oasis in mid June. Overall it was an amazing trip! The crew on the Oasis seemed to be a great group overall. I didn't have a negative interaction with a crew member from check in to disembarkation. I will say I didn't once see my cabin steward as our schedules never seemed to match up, however the room was cleaned while we were out every morning for breakfast and pool and any requests we left on notes were always handled 🙂 My biggest area of disappointment on the trip was the food, particularly the beef dishes. I feel like quality has really gone down since my last royal cruse in 2015. However, I didn't go hungry and it was better than I would eat at home, with the exception of the steaks! That wouldn't stop me from traveling again at all. 

• Like 2

@Cruisegirl138 I’m like you in that all the negativity I’ve been seeing has been bothering me. I started avoiding here because of it. I’m glad to see this thread.  We haven’t been on Royal since 2009 so don’t know what to expect. I’m keeping a positive attitude and really looking forward to CoCo Cay. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 11:27 AM, Pratique said:

Cats is what it is. A traditional musical. It's well done if you like that type of show. And much shorter than the original.

We sailed on Oasis last June and are going on it again in August.  I love all the shows except I refused to see Cats.  I go to Broadway NYC quite often and skipped it while it was on Broadway too.  Not the show for me.

1 hour ago, Jt4428 said:

We sailed on Oasis last June and are going on it again in August.  I love all the shows except I refused to see Cats.  I go to Broadway NYC quite often and skipped it while it was on Broadway too.  Not the show for me.

I saw it when I was a kid.  Really young.  May skip it now too lol 

I’m going on Oasis in January and get worried about the same thing. I just try remind myself there are thousands and thousands that sail on her every week and there’s only ever a handful of bad reviews online, which would indicate everyone’s trip was at least fine, most likely great. 

Edited by CroNich
  • Like 1