Still Onboard Marina

vlthom

17 hours ago, basor said:

Is that still Prime Rib or just a steak?  

Never having heard of a tomahawk steak, I looked it up:

This glorious cut of meat is actually a large ribeye steak that is specifically cut with about 8-12 inches of the rib bone left on it. 

The bone is “Frenched”, a culinary term that means it is trimmed of fat and meat. The Tomahawk steak is meant to look like the handle of an ax. It’s the same technique that is used on a rack of lamb. 

The bone is intended to give it the “wow” factor however it also helps insulate the tender meat while it cooks. 

The Tomahawk steak is extremely tender and buttery, with beautiful marbling. It’s also relatively simple to make! 

So definitely not roasted prime rib, but apparently a big slice that's been grilled bone-in.  Could be worse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Not everyone eats steak, so not so simple.

I believe the comment was made tongue in cheek! 😂😂

Someone on Vista can confirm, but again I believe it was a veal tomahawk, not regular beef.

26 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Someone on Vista can confirm, but again I believe it was a veal tomahawk, not regular beef.

Not on Vista myself, but AMHuntFerry posted a menu screen shot (apparently) on Saturday with the tomahawk shown as veal.  45 ounces of veal!  That's one big calf.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

You are correct, it was Veal.  The menu does indicate it is for 2.   Same as for the 35 oz sirloin. 

I know, next cruise in Polo with a shared table for 6-8, order one for the table and everyone gets a taste👍🤪🤙 because it is HUGE. We do that with the Rack of Lamb in Red Ginger, not because it is huge but just to provide a lollipop taster for anyone at the table who might like to try the lamb but does not want to miss out on their Miso Glazed Sea Bass which is to die for. 
That mere 35 Oz. Steak Serving is HUGE TOO. 

For those with military backgrounds, I never saw K Rations  or MRE’s (Meals Ready to Eat) with Tomahawk steaks in them, just a bit short of The Finest Cuisine at Sea 😇

I am sure there will be posts soon from Vista cruisers who try the new Veal Steaks and report back.

Enjoy your cruising.

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

The tomahawk looked good, but my DW wanted fish, and that big boy was way too big for me! 

I liked your plans of sharing on a table of 6-8! Only way I could justify having it. I’d feel bad , even with two of us, trashing 20-24 Oz of meat.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

with so many looking to sound smart, its hard to distinguish tongue in cheek from the  "gotchas".

45 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

I know, next cruise in Polo with a shared table for 6-8, order one for the table and everyone gets a taste👍🤪🤙 because it is HUGE. We do that with the Rack of Lamb in Red Ginger, not because it is huge but just to provide a lollipop taster for anyone at the table who might like to try the lamb but does not want to miss out on their Miso Glazed Sea Bass which is to die for. 
That mere 35 Oz. Steak Serving is HUGE TOO. 

For those with military backgrounds, I never saw K Rations  or MRE’s (Meals Ready to Eat) with Tomahawk steaks in them, just a bit short of The Finest Cuisine at Sea 😇

I am sure there will be posts soon from Vista cruisers who try the new Veal Steaks and report back.

Enjoy your cruising.

Mauibabes

My service bridged C-rats and the "new" MRE's.  If you ever served in a NATO country, you discovered the field rations of most other countries were vastly superior. I'm pretty sure a Tomahawk steak MRE would have been worth its weight in gold.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

You are correct, it was Veal.  The menu does indicate it is for 2.   Same as for the 35 oz sirloin. 

still too big  for 2  or at least  US

I am sure there are people who would eat the whole thing

Hi. I'm going to be on Marina for the first time soon. Have been on Insignia and Sirena previously. I am not familiar with how the Artist loft classes work. Any more likely to get into one than the cooking classes which have been all sold out for months prior to my sailing? 

28 minutes ago, Ellwood56 said:

Hi. I'm going to be on Marina for the first time soon. Have been on Insignia and Sirena previously. I am not familiar with how the Artist loft classes work. Any more likely to get into one than the cooking classes which have been all sold out for months prior to my sailing? 

Artist loft  is free   but first come  first served  so go & sign up early for the class if it is of interest to you

If you want to wait list for the cooking class go to DS day one & fill in the sheet for the class you want 

sometimes people will cancel   so does not hurt to apply

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, pinotlover said:

Is the prime rib still available in the Polo Grill?

It was available on Nautica a couple of weeks back. Accurately cooked as requested but just not very flavoursome. I doubt I'd order it again. 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

It was available on Nautica a couple of weeks back. Accurately cooked as requested but just not very flavoursome. I doubt I'd order it again. 

So properly prepared for those here that like bland! 🥹

Thanks for the update. It appears that only the Vista has removed the prime rib from the PG menu for the time being.

46 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

So properly prepared for those here that like bland!

Yes. I'm always conscious that this is an American ship and rightly caters to American, not European, tastes. 

• Haha 1