Still Onboard Marina

vlthom

14 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@vlthom

The bathroom door could always be an issue so we always carried a Bungy cord with us and connect the bathroom door to the cabin door handle so it did not rattle and was alway open for those early a.m. trips. No Banging or door to slam in the rough seas.  See if your steward or maintenance or perhaps another guest might have one to share. 
For the closet door, close it tightly and stuff a towel between the door and the wall. That has worked for us in the past.
We had a damaged keypad on our safe and after a “Look See” by maintenance and no solution because they had no parts available, we ultimately had the Supervisor at our door and a maintenance man walking down the hall carrying a new safe. All good! 👍🙏

Good luck.

Mauibabes

Why would one need to do this?  I honestly do not understand the concept around needing to bring bungee cords on a trip with me to remedy theses issues. IMHO they shouldn’t be issues to begin with. 
I read yesterday an article about Marina being scheduled for a complete dry dock. It sounds like that is a good idea based on a couple comments on this thread and the other. I viewed conceptual pictures showing concierge room and bath updates. They were impressive and supposed to roll out this November. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I don't remember how they are on the Marina or Riviera, but I had that issue come up with the light on the Regatta, I unplugged it. No problems for the rest of the cruise. 

I removed the light bulb and we wedged a package of the provided slippers between the closet doors,  That did the trick and we were able too sleep without the lights flickering on and off and the doors rattling all night.  Now if we can keep the water bottles from rattling, we’ll be in great shape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Why would one need to do this?  I honestly do not understand the concept around needing to bring bungee cords on a trip with me to remedy theses issues. IMHO they shouldn’t be issues to begin with. 
I read yesterday an article about Marina being scheduled for a complete dry dock. It sounds like that is a good idea based on a couple comments on this thread and the other. I viewed conceptual pictures showing concierge room and bath updates. They were impressive and supposed to roll out this November. 

The scheduled dry dock should take care of the issues.

5 hours ago, vlthom said:

The scheduled dry dock should take care of the issues.

Yes, but not until after my next cruise, Oceania delayed it until next April or May.

Maybe I can win an official Oceania door fixing bungee cord by accumulating O points playing trivia.

• Haha 5

We have a breezy, drizzly day in Kristiansand today.  There’s a large Princess ship here as well which means that the port is crowded, but at least we made it here today and did not have to skip another port.  We just walked around the shopping area and the big church before returning to the ship as it was largely uninteresting and we didn’t book a tour.  But it was good to get off the ship and stretch our legs.

This voyage marks our 15th trip with O - at least by the way that they count them for loyalty purposes.  I am still waiting for our onboard account to reflect this for purposes of the SBC and other perks.  I even visited the “Ambassador” yesterday, who confirmed our count and then told me that it might take several days for the system to reflect our Gold status, but if it did not happen, I should return and she’d take care of it.  Now why would I want to have to try to match up our schedule with that of their office hours in order to chase this down again?  This seems like a process that should happen seamlessly on the first day.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Yes, but not until after my next cruise, Oceania delayed it until next April or May.

Maybe I can win an official Oceania door fixing bungee cord by accumulating O points playing trivia.

It sure sounds like dry dock is needed. Sorry to hear that for your sake. Does anyone have the new dates? We have a sailing booked in May. 

@vlthom

I guess my Rube Goldberg fixes for what ails you elicited a few comments. I thought Traveling with my favorite Bungy cord was a pretty good idea, you just never know when it will come in handy. Loved the “Jam the Slipper pak” idea, will add it to my list of fixes or maybe send it on to Heloise’s Hints next revision 🤪. I think I will suggest to O that they start selling Oceania Duct Tape for Big O Point redemption because we all have a little McGiver in us. What could be better advertising for O, the ultimate fix for that airline thrashed suitcase for your travel home 😇👍.  Actually on those Transatlantic trips when guests are creating their sailing boats for the competition, that new O Duct Tape could be quite valuable. 🙏🤙🛳️

Enjoy your trip, in spite of the hiccups.

Mauibabes

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, vlthom said:

, I should return and she’d take care of it.  Now why would I want to have to try to match up our schedule with that of their office hours in order to chase this down again?  This seems like a process that should happen seamlessly on the first day.  

Do you have a TA  ?

I would email them & get it sorted   or check with the Purser  to see if it is in your folio but just not posted  for viewing

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do you have a TA  ?

I would email them & get it sorted   or check with the Purser  to see if it is in your folio but just not posted  for viewing

I’ve emailed or TA but he hasn’t sorted things for us in the past.  We probably need a new one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

Didn't have my coffee this morning before reading the thread title...

" 'Still Onboard Marina'?  Why would they need a still?!?"

You’d have to go back and read Post #1. They had a Thread going going entitled “ Onboard Marina Now” that got entirely trash with multiple posts completely off subject. So they start a new post entitled as above to redirect the conversation to what’s happening aboard ship Now!

Dinner in Polo tonight.  Huge line-up at the entrance prior to opening.  I haven’t seen that since our earliest sailings on O.  We had an excellent meal.  Everything was hot and nicely prepared.  We ate too much but were pleased with everything.  Skipped dessert, as we often do at Polo.

I meant to comment yesterday about our dinner in the GDR last night.  During the prior segment, we were seated on the port side of the GDR every single time that we ate there and we found the service to be slower and less attentive than we were accustomed to during past sailings.  But last night we were on the opposite side with obviously experienced wait-staff.  It was a totally different experience.  Quick service….everything accurate and seamless.  We’re hoping that the less experienced staff manage to get trained up to this level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Not sure if anyone answered this.

Has anyone found any shoestring fries?

In the frozen foods section at Costco. Be sure to get some chocolate chip chunk cookies at their bakery to take on board.😎

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Didn't have my coffee this morning before reading the thread title...

" 'Still Onboard Marina'?  Why would they need a still?!?"

To add taste to the cookies (or disguise the lack there of). 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

You’d have to go back and read Post #1. They had a Thread going going entitled “ Onboard Marina Now” that got entirely trash with multiple posts completely off subject. So they start a new post entitled as above to redirect the conversation to what’s happening aboard ship Now!

I think it was a play on words...a still as in distilling.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, vlthom said:

This voyage marks our 15th trip with O - at least by the way that they count them for loyalty purposes.  I am still waiting for our onboard account to reflect this for purposes of the SBC and other perks.  I even visited the “Ambassador” yesterday, who confirmed our count and then told me that it might take several days for the system to reflect our Gold status, but if it did not happen, I should return and she’d take care of it.  Now why would I want to have to try to match up our schedule with that of their office hours in order to chase this down again?  This seems like a process that should happen seamlessly on the first day.

This is our 10th cruise.  Our account shows the updated SBC and we received the baseball cap, pins and Oceania bag marking this occasion. Actually we received these perks on the prior cruise and it showed up on the first day.  My TA made sure that my invoice was updated prior to the cruise to reflect this.

Terri

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Except nothing is perfect and rather than be grumpy about things not working, having little tricks like bungie cords can make things better in a flash. No frustration. Make lemonade out of your lemons!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hanoj said:

In the frozen foods section at Costco. Be sure to get some chocolate chip chunk cookies at their bakery to take on board.😎

guess I have to spell it out for some...that I  mean on the O ships, most would have known that I dont mean when I grocery shop....but hey maybe it is a slow day....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sabbycat said:

Except nothing is perfect and rather than be grumpy about things not working, having little tricks like bungie cords can make things better in a flash. No frustration. Make lemonade out of your lemons!

I believe the point is one’s expectations when staying at a Grand Hyatt maybe different than when staying at a Motel 8. People don’t pack and drag their furniture repair kits around the world when they pay Premium Cruise Line prices. Or should I say most people. 🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sabbycat said:

Of course nothing is perfect. But with all the issues being reported on Marina that need to be fixed, it was a fair statement that there is a choice make to travel on a ship in need of major upgrades or not. Options are out there. I am not one who would choose to do that for that amount of money. It it works for you to make lemonade, then I think that’s a fair choice to make as well. Sounds like you might need a fair amount of lemons though under the current reported conditions. 

Edited by Vineyard View

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

This is our 10th cruise.  Our account shows the updated SBC and we received the baseball cap, pins and Oceania bag marking this occasion. Actually we received these perks on the prior cruise and it showed up on the first day.  My TA made sure that my invoice was updated prior to the cruise to reflect this.

Terri

We were on the last cruise. We moved up a level. Got the letter stating that we would receive the pin, bag, and cap.  Cap wasn’t there. We asked the Ambassador Natalya for it.  Her response was that we got a letter instead of the caps.  She seemed to think that a letter is an adequate substitute for the cap.  She was extremely rude.  Also, this was the 3rd time in a concierge cabin and no tote bag.  Asked about that. Response was supply issues.  Strangely I met people on the ship who said that they found the bag in their cabin.  Natalya seemed put out that I had talked to other guests.  Items like caps or totes that have the O name on it is good publicity.  Not a big deal?  My response was stop promising items that you don’t want to deliver.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1