Celebrity Apex Handicapped Oceanview Cabins

Podie

Just curious if anyone has stayed in one? We have 9108 booked for November. My boyfriend is blind and I was just wondering if there's plenty of room for him to maneuver with his cane. Thanks!

Cruisedeckplans has pics of this cabin on Beyond.  It looks huge.  I think the on,y thing to watch for is the legs of the chair at the desk.  To see the pics, go to cruisedeckplans.com, click on Celebrity, then Beyond.  Scroll down the left side to OV cabins, and click on handicap cabins.  There will be a tiny camera icon by the cabins with pics.  Click on the icon.  Here is one pic I stole to illustrate the chair.

IMG_1966.jpeg

I'm confused.  I don't understand what differences there are in handicapped cabins that make them better for someone who is blind?  Honest question, not trying to be snarky.  Many people use canes but don't book HC cabins.  Are there other changes to the cabin that help people without good eyesight?  My cousin is legally blind and she stayed in a HC cabin as her husband needs a scooter but I don't recall any aids for her lack of vision?

It's very easy for him to trip in smaller spaces because he doesn't have room to sweep the area in front of him with his white cane. Also, he has to have a walk-in shower with no steps as he has trouble negotiating them. It's also safer for him to sit down in the shower, and the HC showers are large enough to do this.

Edited by Podie
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Podie said:

It's very easy for him to trip in smaller spaces because he doesn't have room to sweep the area in front of him with his white cane. Also, he has to have a walk-in shower with no steps as he has trouble negotiating them. It's also safer for him to sit down in the shower, and the HC showers are large enough to do this.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the information.

We have been in the cabin with our adult daughter who is a full time wheelchair user. Yes, the cabin is large. However, there are some negatives. One is it is a long way from the elevators. The issue is when attendants are servicing cabins (hours every morning) It is very difficult for us to navigate around the carts in the halls. We have to move the cart ourselves to eat by. It is a long hallway. The accessible cabins on S and M class ships are near the elevators so it is not an issue. There are never any carts blocking our way.

Although the room is big a lot is not useable because it is at the front of the ship and the walls slope. I am trying to remember but I think I put the toilet chair we requested and use in one area and had to duck. The bathroom is at an odd angle. Nothing in the cabin is in a line like regular cabins. Entrance to the cabin is via a mini hall because it can be combined with the cabin next to it. None of this may be an issue, but I want you to know it is an usual design.

Doors are automatic on E and S class ships and activated by a card key. This is great for a wheelchair user. It may be an issue for someone visually impaired not knowing if the door is moving. Doors on M class ships are not automatic. 

There is one big pro for us with our daughter: cabin has a real bed for the 3rd person. S and M class ships have a chair that makes a bed and it is terrible. This would not be an issue for 2 but for us it makes the long walk worthwhile. Two of the 4 OV cabins are for 3. We have to book 2 years ahead to get one of the 2. Very few accessible cabins are for 3. We love the cabin for the bed alone for our adult daughter and put up with the long walk.

This (on Beyond) is the small hallway leading to the cabin. It is shared with one regular ocean view cabin, but much smaller than the accessible. We never closed the outer door even though it has an electronic lock as it was another obstacle for our wheelchair and the other cabin agreed.

0431D38D-7160-46EC-B167-E2E4E7D84952.jpeg

We are scheduled to sail on Apex December 9, 2023, and have booked in one of the accessible cabins as I will have a motorized scooter. While we haven’t been in the cabin before, I was able to enter the information on Google and accessed a video of an identical cabin to ours. The cabin is very large and should be good for us. Try accessing it yourself.