I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

we can agree to disagree

Hotels HAVE gone up in price, whether or not they pass that to housekeeping who knows

On a recent cruise, my husband accidentally DECIMATED the soap dispenser in the shower with his elbow and the room steward was so kind about it, brought us little tubes of product, we got a cute little towel animal every day and our room was cleaned really well the one time it was cleaned. I also talked to a family and they said that their room steward did set up/take down their extra bed and would kind of tidy up in there when he was in there. 

I guess I still don't understand why a room steward is needed in a room 2x a day beyond the setting up and tearing down of bed(s). What exactly is there for them to do? I try to make sure my clothes are put away and such because I don't want to have them touch things like that. Most of what I see is done is making the bed, giving towels, vacuuming, emptying the trash cans, cleaning the bathrooms a bit, all of which once a day seems fine to me still

Also, I want to say that I understand and agree about being salty for paying more for less service, but seems to be the norm right now. I've decided I can either be grumpy about stuff like that or just accept that I have no say in most things and just live my life as happily as I can. 

I didn't care that much about losing the 2 a day. It was nice, but typically, at a hotel, I request no service for my entire stay. So not a huge deal. Once a day would have been more than sufficient. The issue, to me at least, seemed like with twice the rooms, they were stretched on time. In the past they seemed to know when we weren't in the room and would clean/do turndown when we were out. Now, if we were in the room when he came through, he didn't clean that day. There didn't seem to be further attempts that day. But it's just something we either have to get used to, get a suite, or find something else to do. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

I didn't care that much about losing the 2 a day. It was nice, but typically, at a hotel, I request no service for my entire stay. So not a huge deal. Once a day would have been more than sufficient. The issue, to me at least, seemed like with twice the rooms, they were stretched on time. In the past they seemed to know when we weren't in the room and would clean/do turndown when we were out. Now, if we were in the room when he came through, he didn't clean that day. There didn't seem to be further attempts that day. But it's just something we either have to get used to, get a suite, or find something else to do. 

wow my experience has been the opposite and I've cruised a bit since the cutback to once a day. My room steward was always asking when best to come by, and even if we were in there, he would be overly apologetic and say "Oh I'll come back later" and he always did. I am sure their workloads haven't decreased, even tho we are only getting our rooms cleaned once (probably increased knowing how companies work)

I will say that they need to bring back the magnets that say "please make up room". They used to have double sided "Do not disturb/Please make up room" but they are gone now. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

wow my experience has been the opposite and I've cruised a bit since the cutback to once a day. My room steward was always asking when best to come by, and even if we were in there, he would be overly apologetic and say "Oh I'll come back later" and he always did. I am sure their workloads haven't decreased, even tho we are only getting our rooms cleaned once (probably increased knowing how companies work)

I will say that they need to bring back the magnets that say "please make up room". They used to have double sided "Do not disturb/Please make up room" but they are gone now. 

Same experience here! They go out of their way to please. If we happen to be in when come to make up cabin, we offer to sit on balcony. We opt for evening service but tell them we are flexible. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Same experience here! They go out of their way to please. If we happen to be in when come to make up cabin, we offer to sit on balcony. We opt for evening service but tell them we are flexible. 

That was exactly our experience also. He was great and did his best not to disturb us. 

• Like 1

Y'all splitting hairs with this once a day versus twice a day nonsense. See, I insist upon Continuous Room Service.

• You know that sense of panic that sets in when you hear the ice in the bucket settle slightly? I don't!  My attendant is there to add an ice cube as needed.
  • Ready to scream when the remote slides off the bed but you're all tucked in? Not an issue for me, thanks dear attendant!
  • I can't remember the last time I've dealt with the burden of pushing down that lever for a flush.
  • Trash cans? IN your room? Not classy. I expect my candy wrapper to be caught before it hits the floor and removed from the premises posthaste.
  • And you haven't cruised unless you've fallen asleep 7 nights in a row to bedtime stories by your attendant. First in their native language and then repeated in English please and thank you.

Of course, this works both ways. Continuous Tipping is required for this level of service.

I have to assume you are only tipping once a day to get once a day service.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

Y'all splitting hairs with this once a day versus twice a day nonsense. See, I insist upon Continuous Room Service.

• You know that sense of panic that sets in when you hear the ice in the bucket settle slightly? I don't!  My attendant is there to add an ice cube as needed.
  • Ready to scream when the remote slides off the bed but you're all tucked in? Not an issue for me, thanks dear attendant!
  • I can't remember the last time I've dealt with the burden of pushing down that lever for a flush.
  • Trash cans? IN your room? Not classy. I expect my candy wrapper to be caught before it hits the floor and removed from the premises posthaste.
  • And you haven't cruised unless you've fallen asleep 7 nights in a row to bedtime stories by your attendant. First in their native language and then repeated in English please and thank you.

Of course, this works both ways. Continuous Tipping is required for this level of service.

I have to assume you are only tipping once a day to get once a day service.

Just what we need... another wanna be comedian 🙄

I am out of my room by 5:30, 6 AM at latest, and often don't return till 8 or 9PM for the evening. Even at 60, I cannot make it to 10PM anymore. Unless I have something brought back from port, do I see my room mid day. That being said, I can't recall seeing or even knowing an attendant more than once on a cruise, let alone getting familiar with him or his name. Same with MDR, rarely use it, so getting chummy with waiter is not common on my last several cruises.

20 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I guess I still don't understand why a room steward is needed in a room 2x a day beyond the setting up and tearing down of bed(s). What exactly is there for them to do? I try to make sure my clothes are put away and such because I don't want to have them touch things like that. Most of what I see is done is making the bed, giving towels, vacuuming, emptying the trash cans, cleaning the bathrooms a bit, all of which once a day seems fine to me still

My husband decided we want evening service, so here's what bothers me: 

- We get up, go to breakfast, go about our day's activities or leave for an island stop ... and when we come back, our bed's still unmade, and our wet towels are still hanging in the bathroom. 

- The trash cans are quite small, so they may stay full all day.  

- We go to dinner and come back to a "refreshed room", but then we soon get into bed and mess things up again.  

I don't think we need two full services each day; rather, I think we need one full service each day, then a "refresh", which would just be making the bed, replacing the towels, and emptying the trash.  I don't think vacuuming needs to be done every day.  

20 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I've decided I can either be grumpy about stuff like that or just accept that I have no say in most things and just live my life as happily as I can. 

I'm quite happy about most things cruise-related, but I'm staying salty about this double-whammy of increased cost and reduced service.  

• Like 4

Just found this thread (after having an Allure cruise last weekend). We were offered twice daily cabin service - but only requested PM. Is that because we were in a GS cabin, or some other reason?

Tom

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm quite happy about most things cruise-related, but I'm staying salty about this double-whammy of increased cost and reduced service.  

Same here.

As for those that say that twice a day service is not needed, I would contend that there are lots of things on a cruise that aren't needed.  I don't need a rock climbing wall, shows, swimming pools, music, decorations, etc.  But they do make the cruise a lot more enjoyable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Just found this thread (after having an Allure cruise last weekend). We were offered twice daily cabin service - but only requested PM. Is that because we were in a GS cabin, or some other reason?

Tom

Yes.  Suites still get 2x service. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 12:39 AM, aubreyc1988 said:

We did have those both time on Oasis in the past few months. We would often forget to flip it and she would be hesitant to go in. So I'd come back from dinner and she'd just be kind of floating around the hall waiting for us to give her the ok. I felt bad, so told her I was just taking it down and I'll only put the DND side up when we turn in for the night.