Your favorite thing about cruising with MSC?

CoasterGuy

Our favorite thing about an MSC cruise is that they are an Italian cruise company. We've spent over 150 days in Italy on land-based holidays. Cruising MSC out of Florida is a much shorter flight and costs less frequent flier miles. We still get to practice speaking Italian on the ship, but also sometimes get to practice Spanish depending on what ports we choose to tour. On our last two cruises, the YC staff that we encountered were mostly from the Philippines so now we've learned a few phrases in a new language too. (And we love their risotto!)

23 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Our favorite thing about an MSC cruise is that they are an Italian cruise company. We've spent over 150 days in Italy on land-based holidays. Cruising MSC out of Florida is a much shorter flight and costs less frequent flier miles. We still get to practice speaking Italian on the ship, but also sometimes get to practice Spanish depending on what ports we choose to tour. On our last two cruises, the YC staff that we encountered were mostly from the Philippines so now we've learned a few phrases in a new language too. (And we love their risotto!)

The risotto!!  Yes!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Some of these posts are from years gone by. At least the ones this past year in the Caribbean. One might still find the Europeans of high caliber and standing in the Yacht Club, but outside the YC are the local unsophisticated from the US. that over indulge, smoke and vape, play boom box music and tend to break things when impatient with elevators.

A47F0B6F-D0CC-40CB-968C-5FE0D257BCAD.thumb.jpeg.2f3aa5be460d737a309b46315c3b7e10.jpg

The sailings I posted about were in April 2023. So not even many months gone by. Though I will say I did not sail out of Miami. I sailed out of Port Canaveral on the repositioning cruise to Brooklyn on the Meraviglia and then did the first 7-day sailing out of Brooklyn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Present company excepted. 

Please do not make an exception for me.

From conversations with senior staff who were interested in my cruising experience and the comments made by the Captain of the MSC ship on a Mighty Cruise Ship episode, I am what MSC hoped to attract in the US cruising public - someone interested in a refined cruise experience that was equivalent to HAL, Princess, and Celebrity.

It is a shame that the covid travel restrictions and well controlled pricing of the MSC fares has attracted a  cruise demographic that is not MSC's target.  However, with travel restrictions now being lifted and perhaps a better fare structure for the market demographic MSC wishes to attract, the onboard cruise experience will return to what MSC wants for its passengers.

28 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Repositioning cruises are a different clientele. Higher class. Those that can afford to fly home.

I understand that, but I was also on the first 7-day sailing out of Brooklyn and it was the same level of experience I had had on the repositioning other than I was in Fantastica, instead of Aurea. Ship, crew, and food were the same. I also didn't experience much issue with my fellow passengers. There was a woman on the repositioning cruise who put her bare feet up on one of the tables in the Edge Lounge, which I was pretty shocked and disgusted by...

• Like 1

I've had plenty of problems, but if we're focusing on the positive only, we like the design and glitzy elegance of the ships.  We also feel that they often offer a superior value, although prices have increased recently.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, no1talks said:

Are the opera "shorts" being taken away from the European itineraries, too?!?

I had hoped the abbreviated operas would continue on the Med, Baltic, and North Sea routes, so I could enjoy those cruises even more than the US departures.

So far there opera shorts are not missing.  But all other opera. Regiment the good old times when top class performers went on the ship in Genoa, did one show and left the next day in Civita. And on some other nights the MSC entertainment also did great classical music performances. 

At the US departures they not even have the one night mini opera? What a letdown.

Most beautiful and clean ships

amazing Shows (well at least used to be ,now I heard its like any other cruise line)

good cruise directors and fun entertainment teams

European food , not 2 kilo of sugar in dessert ,amazing real pizza and pasta

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Forgot to mention: Different menu in the MDR each evening. NCL has gotten rid of this and it is now the same dinner menu every night of the cruise.

Hello,

Something MSC had on Virtuosa in May was a list of 'Always available' items on the MDR menu that I thought I read RCI were no longer doing (but I will find out for myself in September).

Regards,

Cublet

Hello,

Answering the topic's subject line, it has to be the Champagne Bar (other sources of 'bubbles' are available). And not exclusively because it had Champagne, but because it was a 'bar'. Anthem, that I cannot wait to see the back of, has 'pubs' galore (some with and some without the spit and sawdust) but no 'bar' like the Champagne Bar on Voyager or Freedom class.

And another thing (warming to my theme), if I ask for either Champagne  or Prosecco on MSC, that's what I served and not the all-purpose swill served on Royal.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Something MSC had on Virtuosa in May was a list of 'Always available' items on the MDR menu that I thought I read RCI were no longer doing (but I will find out for myself in September).

Regards,

Cublet

There is a section on the MSC dinner menu that is available every night, but the bulk of the menu changes from night-to-night.

Having done cruises with RCI and NCL before in their normal categories:

YC pricing vs similar offering from other cruise lines although it's not exactly cheap anymore even with MSC unless you find a deal or book early.

Inclusivity of services. I do not have to think much about what is part of the service and what is not. Most things are covered like internet, premium drink package, SPA thermal access, priority boarding, free minibar, nice anytime dining experience with quality ingredients and yes, YC only areas are heavenly oasis of quiet in fully packed ship.

I also like the included premium drink package 25% discount of bottles of wine and champagne which is quite a lot when you drink premium champagnes (making them actually cheaper than store price in my home country) and basically a bargain buy or awesome value in restaurant environment.

I think only things I don't like in MSC is their IT system/website and that if you want to buy something that cost over drink package limit you have to pay the full price and not just the difference and shows are not as high quality as they are in RCI or NCL.

5 minutes ago, exs2 said:

I think only things I don't like in MSC is their IT system/website and that if you want to buy something that cost over drink package limit you have to pay the full price and not just the difference and shows are not as high quality as they are in RCI or NCL.

This is no longer the case as of late March. You now only pay the difference plus gratuity on any drinks over the price covered by your drink package.

Edit: Here's snapshot of the language on the bar menus now that explains how the drink packages work:

image.png.bc80ffd56f4581ba4b2a4d4ae826e170.png

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Some of these posts are from years gone by. At least the ones this past year in the Caribbean. One might still find the Europeans of high caliber and standing in the Yacht Club, but outside the YC are the local unsophisticated from the US. that over indulge, smoke and vape, play boom box music and tend to break things when impatient with elevators.

Stereotype much?

lol one person does something stupid and you seem to think everyone is like that. I wonder what it would be like having a 12 foot nose to look down at everyone else with. For the record I'm an american, have been on seven carnival cruises, and I don't smoke, vape, play boom box music, and break things. shocking I know. 🙄🙄

Anyways back to the topic at hand. Great responses here and I'm enjoying all the info. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

European food , not 2 kilo of sugar in dessert ,amazing real pizza and pasta

Yes, I love the desserts are not sugar laden and, for those that are egg and cream based, not cheapened with gelatin  instead of being probably prepared with the other ingredients.

I have to admit my one exception to the sweet offering  are the hot ooey, gooey,  cinnamon buns that are offered in the buffet  at the pizza bar at breakfast.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CoasterGuy said:

Stereotype much?

lol one person does something stupid and you seem to think everyone is like that. I wonder what it would be like having a 12 foot nose to look down at everyone else with.

LOL - my take on the photo that was posted was that it was the elevator to get to the Yacht Club and it was destroyed to prevent "interlopers" and then being blamed on the riffraff on the lower decks. (By the way, welcome to the riffraff  that cruises  MSC from a Bella riffraff member).

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Forgot to mention: Different menu in the MDR each evening. NCL has gotten rid of this and it is now the same dinner menu every night of the cruise.

Wow thanks for sharing this, had no idea NCL had done this. That's a huge negative in my book.

2 minutes ago, JAGR said:

And "accepted?"  Your grammar was correct, but wanted to add reassurance to Homosassa!

Somehow you  and Morpheus think that I need your exception and acceptance.

I neither seek nor need it from either of you.

I am entertained , however, by the assumption (Ass- U - Me) that your are in a station of life to offer it to me.

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Somehow you  and Morpheus think that I need your exception and acceptance.

I neither seek nor need it from either of you.

I am entertained , however, by the assumption (Ass- U - Me) that your are in a station of life to offer it to me.

Too be bad you lost a sense of humor over the years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

The sailings I posted about were in April 2023. So not even many months gone by. Though I will say I did not sail out of Miami. I sailed out of Port Canaveral on the repositioning cruise to Brooklyn on the Meraviglia and then did the first 7-day sailing out of Brooklyn.

I have a theory about the Meraviglia being ported in NYC year round.

When I have cruised on other MSC cruises out  of a Florida port, it has come  up in discussions with fellow  European passengers  that the airport of entry for them from Europe was JFK with a transfer to a flight to Florida.

With Meraviglia being ported in NYC, this will be an attractive alternative to flyingto  Florida to board a ship. 

I also see the January 6, 2024 offering of a twenty day itinerary that included stops in Port Carnevale. I wonder if this itinerary is being offered similar to MSC itineraries in the Mediterranean where passengers have the option to start and end their cruise at different ports on the itinerary (Brooklyn and Port Carnevale  being two options for European travelers or closed loop US passengers).

Could be interesting to see how the passenger distribution of national origin develops for the Meraviglia.

8 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Too be bad you lost a sense of humor over the years.

Actually I have a very good sense of humor as evidenced by the fact that you and Morpheus are proving more and more entertaining as the thread progresses.

• Like 2