Venezia-- and my worries

serene56

Worried to the point that i had to back out of the "face" page for this ship.    Just seems there to be more bad than there is good.      But all that crap about people being arrested and thrown in the jail  onboard   and the multiple fighting etc.   got me real worried.

But let me add that I wonder how much is true vs just hearsay.    )for one carnival usually just puts people on lockdown in their cabin.,   (jail on the ship is full??>    Its not very big to begin with)   and whats all the fighting about in the night club--  are they just getting upset because someone requested different music?    I find it odd that there is no video-- there is always videos    LOL    I read about crew shortages and visa issues which John H says did not happen    all hearsay?     but people are saying the crew are telling the people this--  why would they tell passengers this stuff?         One person complained that one person was waiting on 10 tables--    see this is the stuff that is very hard to believe--  thats just not even possible = is it?  i mean who is running for the food-  filling glasses   getting drinks 

I read about long waits in lines - and wonder if people are going at 11:30 and just lining up since it doesnt open til noon.   (a person said they waited in a line for guys burgers for 45 min-- say what?        I read how small the deck is on the lido deck for those night time parties--  even sail away parties-- its too small     

Cruise planning is fun-  but boy the stress this one is doing.    

• Like 1

I was on the 6/19 sailing. We did not have fights that I know of. But believe the issues about food and dining. And we were also told they were short staffed. Sea day brunch was horrible. Was served cold toast 20 or 30 minutes before eggs came. Buffet lines are the worst I have ever seen and I have been on many cruises and different lines. It is set up poorly. You wait in line for soup or salad and then either have to get the rest of your food and let it get cold while you eat the first or get back on line. For the anytime dining you need to request a table right at the time they open or else you will be waiting 1 to 1.5 hrs just for the table. Guys and pizza also most times had long lnes. They do have a midnight buffet with limited snack food items. I went once and again a very long line. That all said, most items in the dining room were good, but the buffet was way below average. Not a large selection either.

• Like 1

To the OP, I have been on some rowdy cruises, and my top advice is to stay out of the nightclub.  You have many people who are DRUNK, and this is where the fights usually break out.  And don't engage the rowdy cruisers.  Just move on.  Cruise ships are very large and there is more than enough room for everyone.

As to the lines, yes, they will be long.  The way I deal with it is to go on off times, and if the line is too long, go somewhere else.  When we recently returned from port in Nassau at 4:00 or so, Guy's Burgers was packed so we headed over to the buffet and found perfectly fine food there.

In our experience, the staff ratios are getting much better. Last year on the Carnival Liberty, our cabin steward told us he had 32 rooms!  This year, our steward seemed less stressed.  

The ships I have been on recently are Carnival ships, and most sail out of Florida.  It could be it is worse on this ship because it is new to the Carnival line.  But Carnival better beef up its security on this ship.  Who wants to cruise when you have to wait to debark so the police can arrest the offenders?  

And yes, there is video.  Several were posted on other sites yesterday or today, but most have been taken down.  You can now view one of the videos on this very thread.  

With video evidence, I don't think this is hearsay or the usual Carnival bashing.  Rather, this ship has some problems.  Since the transatlantic, I haven't really heard anything good at the Venezia.  

Fingers crossed Carnival gets the problems with Venezia corrected before you board.  If it's not too late, you could consider cancelling. 

• Like 1

I just got off the ship yesterday. We didn't notice any fights like in the video, mostly everyone was lovely and friendly. But a member of our group saw a domestic violence assault in a public area of the ship. I guess that could happen anywhere (they hide among us being the main problem), but that coupled with the fights that we see on video and the massive delay at disembarkation means I will not cruise Carnival again.

We thought the layout of the marketplace was dumb, the lines were a bit long at prime times, but we just adjusted our expectations and had no issue. The line at Guys was nuts the first day but later it calmed down and I strolled right up and got my burger (meh) on day 3. Similarly for pizza we learned the best times and enjoyed it very much. There were long lines for the comedy club evening shows, but we just got there 30 mins before once we realized. 

Getting back on the ship they were not good at marshalling the lines and that was frustrating. After a day burning all the skin on my torso off (damn you, Neutrogena spf60) the last thing I wanted to do was find a herd of people pushing into my line because they were told it "merged".

My cons:

The food was meh and we all 8 of us had upset stomachs almost every day 

The cabin was not clean when we went in and our cabin steward was not as good as on prior cruises

Not enough seating in Gondola Lounge

The balcony doors slam so loudly you can hear for a 7 cabin radius and it's annoying 

TV volume is mute or high

TV has free movies but you can't fast forward or resume them

Announcements don't play in the cabin which is hard for those of us with hearing impairment 

Cabins had little storage compared to RC

Not many indoor activities for kids 

A lot of interior areas were super warm (elevators, corridors) 

Security staff were like a gesture rather than trained security 

Total lack of communication and crowd control when things went wrong when docking

A few times it took an hour to get food in the MDR for brunch and dinner

The pools are minuscule and people sit there on the edges with their gross feet dunked in them, or their unshowered butts on the sun deck edges 🤢 skipped the pools entirely

Pros

Lovely  staff for MDR

Lots of nice seating areas and bars

Cocktail prices good

Kids enjoyed the water slides

Jane who runs teen club was awesome

AC in cabin was fine

Nice hidden decks up front had great views and were peaceful

The pizza was very tasty

The theater shows were pretty impressive

Some entertainment like Guess The Song was super fun

3 banks of elevators and smart elevators made them way faster than other ships

Edited by Usuallyrightagain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, serene56 said:

Worried to the point that i had to back out of the "face" page for this ship.    Just seems there to be more bad than there is good.      But all that crap about people being arrested and thrown in the jail  onboard   and the multiple fighting etc.   got me real worried.

But let me add that I wonder how much is true vs just hearsay.    )for one carnival usually just puts people on lockdown in their cabin.,   (jail on the ship is full??>    Its not very big to begin with)   and whats all the fighting about in the night club--  are they just getting upset because someone requested different music?    I find it odd that there is no video-- there is always videos    LOL    I read about crew shortages and visa issues which John H says did not happen    all hearsay?     but people are saying the crew are telling the people this--  why would they tell passengers this stuff?         One person complained that one person was waiting on 10 tables--    see this is the stuff that is very hard to believe--  thats just not even possible = is it?  i mean who is running for the food-  filling glasses   getting drinks 

I read about long waits in lines - and wonder if people are going at 11:30 and just lining up since it doesnt open til noon.   (a person said they waited in a line for guys burgers for 45 min-- say what?        I read how small the deck is on the lido deck for those night time parties--  even sail away parties-- its too small     

Cruise planning is fun-  but boy the stress this one is doing.    

If you are worried, don't go.   Simple

11 hours ago, Usuallyrightagain said:

I just got off the ship yesterday. ".

Security staff were like a gesture rather than trained security 

Total lack of communication and crowd control when things went wrong when docking

I do wish they’d hire train security.  No buffet workers who want to move up in ranks.   Security do nothing just standing there 

• Like 1

i'd love to see Carnival set boundaries and hold folks accountable.  i'm a big fan of orderly behavior at sea.  

that said, i consistently see folks walking in the buffet with no shirt and no shoes coming from lido pool in swimsuit.  some folks are in vacation mode and couldn't care less about anyone else but themselves and their whims and desires.  its a tale as old as time... 

• Like 2