Vanilla?

davy jones

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 11:25 AM, bguppies said:

Los Cinco Soles.

100% better tasting than the fake stuff at your grocery store.

A tiny splash has more flavor than half a bottle of extract.

We always get ours at Los Cinco Soles.  It is very tasty and has no coumarin in it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our last cruise we looked for my favorite vanilla and couldn't find it. We don't love the vanilla brands we have found at the ports. I ended up coming home and ordering my favorite vanilla from Amazon. You have to make sure it is pure (pura). 

This is my fav: https://www.amazon.com/Vencedora-Mexican-Vanilla-Extract-Bottles/dp/B082SLBVR3/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=VAYK8SVPSN1U&keywords=vanilla&qid=1701987163&sprefix=vanilla%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-5

Keep in mind that all of the products mentioned in this thread are not entirely pure Mexican vanilla extract. All contain at least some vanillin and caramel to cover up the color. For example, the brand Los Cincos Soles has as its ingredients: Purified water, cane alcohol 8%, vegetable glycerin, natural vanillin, vanilla extract and natural caramel. The brand La Vencedora has as its ingredients: Extracto de ejote de vanilla en agua purificada, alcohol, vanillina, miel de maiz, color caramelo natural (yes, corn syrup!). Nearly all vanilla purchased in México contains vanillin other ingredients. But if these brands taste good, then buy them. Indeed, many people prefer entirely imitation vanilla over actual vanilla, and they benefit from a less expensive product!

For pure Mexican vanilla extracts, it is generally best to purchase in the United States, but even there is requires careful attention to ingredients. I have generally purchased the brand Rain's Choice from the Vanilla Queen, though she is presently out of stock. Ingredients: Premium Mexican vanilla beans in water, 35% alcohol. Nielsen-Massey is another good brand with ingredients: Water, cane alcohol, cane sugar, Mexican vanilla bean extractives.

“Pure or “pura” Mexican vanilla extracts are not necessarily the best choice of course. Many frequent visitors like those posting here and in older threads will never use anything but Los Cinco Soles natural gourmet vanilla after trying it. We lost the store open Playacar, but the store in Coz is amazing, and it’s available at the airport. It’s also available online…

It is really amazing how devoted our friends are who cook and bake with it!

Edited by blue_water

On 12/10/2023 at 9:50 PM, blue_water said:

“Pure or “pura” Mexican vanilla extracts are not necessarily the best choice of course. Many frequent visitors like those posting here and in older threads will never use anything but Los Cinco Soles natural gourmet vanilla after trying it. We lost the store open Playacar, but the store in Coz is amazing, and it’s available at the airport. It’s also available online…

It is really amazing how devoted our friends are who cook and bake with it!

Well said!  I've converted several friends and family members to Los Cinco Soles vanilla.  My SIL just ordered several bottles from their website for my nephew who has a food truck.  She said it's the only one he'll use now.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ashland said:

If you're a Costco member try their Kirkland brand....much better than any we've found in Mexico.

Thank you.   We're Sam's Members, but my parents are Costco members.  I can ask Dad to pick up some for me.  The quality of vanilla does make a difference.  

On 12/22/2023 at 12:19 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

What is it that makes that brand better?

Been buying Los Cinco Soles for more than a decade since you had to make the trek to the original location downtown. DW loves using it in all her baking and its been making my pancakes taste great since we found it.

Just bought some more last month while there to resupply.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bguppies said:

Been buying Los Cinco Soles for more than a decade since you had to make the trek to the original location downtown. DW loves using it in all her baking and its been making my pancakes taste great since we found it.

Just bought some more last month while there to resupply.

We missed the convenience of the Cinco Del Soles shop in Playacar outside Playa Del Carmen, they had beautiful stuff there…

I’m afraid to take my wife to the shop on Coz ☺️

We’ve made many baker and chef friends at home very happy over the years…Now we make them order online!

Edited by blue_water

I saw it said that you don't want the vanilla from the supermarket, but do note that there are supermercados on Cozumel itself; and the prices are quite good.  You're going to have to know some Spanish, though.   The one I'm thinking of is named, "Chedraui".  It is NOT a tourist trap, but I found the experience quite good, as a tourist.  Not just for the vanilla, but for all kinds of nonperishable items.  I brought some salsa home, which definitely was not made in New York City.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 2:50 PM, tetleytea said:

I saw it said that you don't want the vanilla from the supermarket, but do note that there are supermercados on Cozumel itself; and the prices are quite good.  You're going to have to know some Spanish, though.   The one I'm thinking of is named, "Chedraui".  It is NOT a tourist trap, but I found the experience quite good, as a tourist.  Not just for the vanilla, but for all kinds of nonperishable items.  I brought some salsa home, which definitely was not made in New York City.

Soriana is another one that is located in the center of town.  Both markets are quite excellent and offer a broad variety of groceries. 

Edited by jlawrence01
  • Like 1

I really like the supermarkets in the Mexico ports.  It's like going to Walmart in Anchorage or Ketchikan and buying your tourist stuff there.  They're for the locals, so it's harder to single stuff out to buy because they don't just market it like, "hey, this is a touristy thing, you want to buy me," but that is a good thing.   And then they were selling bananas at below $0.25 a pound (after you do the math in your head--they sell it in pesos per kilogram).  You hungry?   Just buy a bunch of fresh bananas for practically free and snack.   Can't bring bananas on the ship, but plenty of other foods you can bring on with no issue.   I'm still working on finishing my Mexican salsa and vanilla from there.

Chedraui is our favorite supermarket, but some are much better than others. One good thing about Chedraui and other named stores like OXXO, 7-11, and Soriano is their exchange rate is decent. You may get pesos in change, but they will give you $USD if you request that, and the clerk has that.

Of course it’s always recommended to obtain pesos when spending cash on taxis or shopping…

While living in Mexico, and before learning of the Los Cinco Soles gourmet vanilla, we bought the basic vanilla sold at Chedraui and Soriano. It’s as good as or better than the various versions you find in the tourist shops at 1/10 the price…

But the Los Cinco Soles is in a class by itself…