Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

RANDOM THOUGHTS/ POINTERS…

Traveled from Marseilles to Rome on Ryan Air.  One word..DON’T.  They have no concept of staying on schedule.  Given what it cost me in missing my train(s) because of Ryan Air, their fares aren’t really cheap.  Planes are uncomfortable!  You are stuck schlepping luggage on and off stairs to and from the planes.  They don’t even invest in jetways at their gates.

Traveling by train to and from airports in Italy is fine if it’s just a shoulder bag or backpack.  Full size (or even roll board)?  Bad idea!  Dragging luggage across the gap of the train platform and into the train is an exercise in “this is not a good idea”.  Nearly lost luggage in the gap to the tracks below 3 times!

Trains however are quick, clean and run “on time”

• Like 6

18 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

I think the Epic cruisers boarding tomorrow in Marseille should each get an EPIC mug and present our newlyweds with a complete set so they can awe their dinner guests when they return home.  Whoops, I think this is the wrong forum.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

RANDOM THOUGHTS/ POINTERS…

Traveled from Marseilles to Rome on Ryan Air.  One word..DON’T.  They have no concept of staying on schedule.  Given what it cost me in missing my train(s) because of Ryan Air, their fares aren’t really cheap.  Planes are uncomfortable!  You are stuck schlepping luggage on and off stairs to and from the planes.  They don’t even invest in jetways at their gates.

Traveling by train to and from airports in Italy is fine if it’s just a shoulder bag or backpack.  Full size (or even roll board)?  Bad idea!  Dragging luggage across the gap of the train platform and into the train is an exercise in “this is not a good idea”.  Nearly lost luggage in the gap to the tracks below 3 times!

Trains however are quick, clean and run “on time”

Ryan Air, what were you thinking???????????

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Agree...our guy does love his puppy and I wouldn't blame him for choosing puppy over us.

Okay, I yield to fellow CC'ers on this friendly forum ... Prima is "older" but the cabins are just as spacious, both have a sofa, even for oceanviews and not balconies.  Dan a/k/a graphicguy, this is going to be a win-win no matter what you decide to do.  Did I miss the news about a new puppy ?? 

If you go with the Prima, there is also a (surprise, not 😁 😎 🤠 ) B2B option, continuing onward for 14 days with the repo - stopping at (again ... I know) Dockyard en route to the Caribbean & Mexico, before disembarkation in Galveston, TX.  Hence, anyone considering one - additional options to get home, bailing from NY with choice of airports and also from TX (that is, a total of 25 days on the new'ish Prima)  Prices are pretty good, not as low as the TA but very reasonable - except, Haven apparently sold out already ... no balconies left with spa access remaining either)

Can't vouch for hotels in Lisbon and in Barcelona, the hotel that we are staying at pamper their guests with all the luxury amenities, including bath robes & slippers, full set of toiletry items, and 2 complimentary bottles of water daily.  Plus a welcome glass of wine & dark  chocolates at check-in. 

Otherwise, he is going to be home and cheering for us on our TA crossing, and give us daily summary of all the latest CC gossips.  And, I'm going to lurk & stalk the Viva's crossing since she's ahead of us, a matter of weeks - exciting, happy cruising & safe travel to everyone, regardless. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

So....uhhh...I guess this meme is not too far from reality? 

Screenshot_20231015-092913_Facebook.jpg

TAP-Portugal at Lisbon, their hub at Portugal is better 😬 since the airport itself doesn't have a lot of gates ... at a minimum, the boarding stairs are covered and when you are limited to 10 kg or 22 lbs of carry-on, climbing the steps wasn't too bad 😳 

Alas, sometimes, choices can be limited but if we can help it, almost zero chance of flying Ryanair.

See you and others in a couple of weeks 👌

PXL_20230509_161953604~2.jpg

On 10/14/2023 at 12:19 AM, jsn55 said:

This aviation museum looks very cool.  Could you walk over there from your MRS hotel?  I've love to see this place.  And of course there are no wash cloths and little ice at your hotel; that's the way we do it here.  I always bring a face flannel (as they say here in the UK) and have learned to ask room service for a 'bucket of ice'.  Yeah, like a champagne cooler full of ice.  My Heathrow hotel doesn't have any Kleenex ... can you imagine!

My rule, which I've maintained for a long time, is "live like a local." Truth be told, I don't use wash cloths/aka flannels at all. When I'm in Europe, I do things their way. That means not asking for ice in drinks, demanding olive oil be served with the bread, drinking Coke with every meal, etc. Makes life simpler and happier for me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

My rule, which I've maintained for a long time, is "live like a local." Truth be told, I don't use wash cloths/aka flannels at all. When I'm in Europe, I do things their way. That means not asking for ice in drinks, demanding olive oil be served with the bread, drinking Coke with every meal, etc. Makes life simpler and happier for me.

Amen!

That's Europe, not North America!

If you want water with your meals, ask for it and they deliver a bottle of water that you're going to pay for! We love mealtimes in Europe. 4 weeks to go and we're in Lisbon for glorious 3 days pre-cruise!

• Like 3

Well…I’ve neglected you all.  So sorry.  Just got back from my “2nd part” of my trip.  

Anyway…the ports…..

I’ll start with the least favorite…..

-Marseille….in all frankness, you really need to get into the outskirts of the wine country for this to even be worthwhile.  As an embarkation/disembarkation port, things went smoothly.  But, I would have preferred Barcelona…much more to do pre/post cruise.

Favorite….a tie….

Florence and Mallorca…..there is just so much to do in both.  Neither is necessarily the typical cruise port.  Get into the “mix” in both.  You really can’t go wrong.  I prefer to just pick a couple of areas and walk around.  

Florence is sort of a mish mash maze of roads that really make little sense.  Make sure you have a data plan that you can use while on your own so you can utilize Apple or Google maps.  I consider that imperative.  Do the canals tour via small boat.

Mallorca….pretty much the same.  Except it’s little easier to get around.

In both, the roads are narrow as are the sidewalks.  They are many times 1,000 years old (or more) and very uneven.  If you’re at all not comfortable walking on cobble stones or uneven areas, don’t walk around.  I saw a few people tumble for no other reason they wore flip flops (not very smart) or fashion shoes instead of walking shoes.

Eat at the local places that have no language other than local.  That’s where you’ll find the best food.

Buy from the local shops, especially those who have the crafter’s tools of the trade in the shop itself.

ROME…..ah….ROME….BIG, BUSY, CHAOTIC.  You either love it or don’t.  I love it.  So very much to see, it takes more than two days.  I’m not sure a guide nets you anything.  You’ve seen all the pics of everything.  Seeing it in person is breathtaking.  Personally, I’d pick and choose what I wanted to see and get a taxi to take you there.  Lots of people, some nefarious.  Keep your wallet/purse in an inconspicuous place (like a money belt or an ankle wallet).  Don’t wear your best jewelry.  You’ll be brushing up against many people who are “pros” and pick pocketing anything of value, before you’re aware it’s gone.

I hate to say this, but ignore anyone trying to engage you for directions, picture taking, etc.  I’m sure there are sincere people who ask.  But, there are an equal amount looking to take advantage of your nice nature.

PISA…worth a trip, but not much else there outside of the tower.

The down side of this itinerary is the amount of tendering you must do.  That doesn’t bother me.  But, it seems either NCL doesn’t train their tender Capts/crew very well, or they just aren’t very good.  The water was calm, but you’d think the crew and Capt were trying to parallel park the EPIC every single time.  Plus, for some unknown reason, even though we had hours to go and many more tenders to catch before “all aboard”, the Capt and crew of the tenders seemed hell-bent on over filling each and every tender, to the point where no one could fit their legs in without bumping into the crotch of the person across from them.  Not sure of it’s NCL policy or just idiocy on the crew’s part, but I considered over filling tenders to no only being very uncomfortable for no reason, but also unreasonably dangerous.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 10/15/2023 at 7:25 AM, jsn55 said:

Ryan Air, what were you thinking???????????

I think generally speaking, Ryan Air is just bad.  They’re too cheap to use anything except steps to board and disembark their planes).  Add to that, Marseille and Paris airports are in serious need of some upkeep and repair (i.e. most escalators don’t work, so you’re carrying your luggage up and down a lot of stairs).

• Like 2

Well…I’ve neglected you all.  So sorry.  Just got back from my “2nd part” of my trip.  

Anyway…the ports…..

I’ll start with the least favorite…..

-Marseille….in all frankness, you really need to get into the outskirts of the wine country for this to even be worthwhile.  As an embarkation/disembarkation port, things went smoothly.  But, I would have preferred Barcelona…much more to do pre/post cruise.

Favorite….a tie….

Florence and Mallorca…..there is just so much to do in both.  Neither is necessarily the typical cruise port.  Get into the “mix” in both.  You really can’t go wrong.  I prefer to just pick a couple of areas and walk around.  

Florence is sort of a mish mash maze of roads that really make little sense.  Make sure you have a data plan that you can use while on your own so you can utilize Apple or Google maps.  I consider that imperative.  Do the canals tour via small boat.

Mallorca….pretty much the same.  Except it’s little easier to get around.

In both, the roads are narrow as are the sidewalks.  They are many times 1,000 years old (or more) and very uneven.  If you’re at all not comfortable walking on cobble stones or uneven areas, don’t walk around.  I saw a few people tumble for no other reason they wore flip flops (not very smart) or fashion shoes instead of walking shoes.

Eat at the local places that have no language other than local.  That’s where you’ll find the best food.

Buy from the local shops, especially those who have the crafter’s tools of the trade in the shop itself.

ROME…..ah….ROME….BIG, BUSY, CHAOTIC.  You either love it or don’t.  I love it.  So very much to see, it takes more than two days.  I’m not sure a guide nets you anything.  You’ve seen all the pics of everything.  Seeing it in person is breathtaking.  Personally, I’d pick and choose what I wanted to see and get a taxi to take you there.  Lots of people, some nefarious.  Keep your wallet/purse in an inconspicuous place (like a money belt or an ankle wallet).  Don’t wear your best jewelry.  You’ll be brushing up against many people who are “pros” and pick pocketing anything of value, before you’re aware it’s gone.

I hate to say this, but ignore anyone trying to engage you for directions, picture taking, etc.  I’m sure there are sincere people who ask.  But, there are an equal amount looking to take advantage of your nice nature.

PISA…worth a trip, but not much else there outside of the tower.

The down side of this itinerary is the amount of tendering you must do.  That doesn’t bother me.  But, it seems either NCL doesn’t train their tender Capts/crew very well, or they just aren’t very good.  The water was calm, but you’d think the crew and Capt were trying to parallel park the EPIC every single time.  Plus, for some unknown reason, even though we had hours to go and many more tenders to catch before “all aboard”, the Capt and crew of the tenders seemed hell-bent on over filling each and every tender, to the point where no one could fit their legs in without bumping into the crotch of the person across from them.  Not sure of it’s NCL policy or just idiocy on the crew’s part, but I considered over filling tenders to no only being very uncomfortable for no reason, but also unreasonably dangerous.

Great advice and I agree with all. 

Rome…you are spot on when you said either you love it or you don’t. First two or three visits I was in awe and still respect the city for its historical significance. Now, I feel like it’s a constant video game where I am dodging Vespas for points. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Great advice and I agree with all. 

Rome…you are spot on when you said either you love it or you don’t. First two or three visits I was in awe and still respect the city for its historical significance. Now, I feel like it’s a constant video game where I am dodging Vespas for points. 

Amen, Sister!

• Like 1

I can’t stress this enough, particularly for a longer Mediterranean cruise…PACK LITE!

Schlogging big and/or lots of luggage to/from/through the airports, ship, transports is a terrible way to begin and/or end your cruise.

Plus, I guarantee not one single person remembers what you wore (or did not wear) on your cruise!

I thought I traveled lite.  I’ve now rethought my packing and will cut back even more on my next cruise!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Forgot to mention NICE.

Prefer Nice over even Paris!

Beauftiful!  So much history…Onassis, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, the races, the film industry….etc!

This is a tour where driving is a necessity.  Walking it would take weeks!

I rank it equal to Florence!  

Loved it!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I can’t stress this enough, particularly for a longer Mediterranean cruise…PACK LITE!

Schlogging big and/or lots of luggage to/from/through the airports, ship, transports is a terrible way to begin and/or end your cruise.

Plus, I guarantee not one single person remembers what you wore (or did not wear) on your cruise!

I thought I traveled lite.  I’ve now rethought my packing and will cut back even more on my next cruise!

On the VIVA in Nov, right? 😁 See you in less than 4 weeks!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

On the VIVA in Nov, right? 😁 See you in less than 4 weeks!

Doing post trip laundry.  And thinking I’ve done Alaska, NE and Mediterranean cruises the last couple of years.  

Might look at a “run of the mill” Caribbean itinerary next….something easy and familiar!

Doing post trip laundry.  And thinking I’ve done Alaska, NE and Mediterranean cruises the last couple of years.  

Might look at a “run of the mill” Caribbean itinerary next….something easy and familiar!

But your fan club will all be on the Viva transatlantic. How will we cope? Calling @JIMESOPUS and @bluesea777 for backup.

• Haha 4

Have you done a Transatlantic? If not, come on down and join us on the Viva!!

😁

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Have you done a Transatlantic? If not, come on down and join us on the Viva!!

😁

I want to do a Panama Canal cruise first.  Hard to get excited about a transatlantic given I just flew over it….twice…..in the last month.

Won’t be looking at another cruise until sometime next year.  I’m still doing laundry from this one!  LOL!  

But, as they say, never say never, as never is an awfully long time!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2