Need Alaska July 2024 excursion suggestions with young kids

ck11140

Hi

Hoping I can get some suggestions for excursions for a Royal Caribbean July 2024 Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. We will be a group of 8 which includes 3 kids ( 4, 6,8). Our stops are:

Sitka- none of us have been here. Seems that there may be many things around town to interest the kids? Is that true?

Skagway- a few of us have been here before and did the railway to the Yukon. Was looking at the Musher Camp? 

Juneau- some of us have done a helicopter to the glaciers. Is whale watching too much for kids? 

Definitely more challenging with 3 little ones. Want to try and reasonably manage our time so we don't overload them even if it means there are things the adults may miss. Otherwise it will not be fun for anyone!

All suggestions will be most appreciated!

I'd settle for just doing a walk about in Sitka, good way for the kiddos to burn off some energy.  Its always amazing what will amuse them.

Just did the train ride and bus to Yukon out of Skagway that stopped at a visitor centre outside Carcross.  Its about an 8 hour trip, plenty of stops along the way, and I'd say appropriate for everyone. Though we have been numerous times in Skagway, this was our first time taking the train.  Yes there were sled dogs to pet and some funky museums. Sould say great value for the cost.

On our first trip into Juneau we were also 8 people, 3 kids 4,9,12. When we docked I got off and chartered a mini van taxi for 3 hours.  Driver showed us everything we wanted to see.  He even had a gold pan and took the kids panning. 

Hope this gives you some food for thought.  We love Alaska, went beginning of April, going again end of August 

In Sitka consider the Fortress of the Bear which is a hit with a number of kids.  Also read about the Sitka Sound Science Center which may be of interest.  There is also a playground along the water front on the walk from the Harrigan Centennial Center to the science center.

In Skagway check the website for the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park.  The NPS has acquired more and more buildings.  A number are operated by the NPS as museums.  And there has been an active junior ranger program in one in the past.

• Like 1

We did an excursion through Princess to the Gold Rush Sled Dog site.  Gold panning, sled dog exhibition, and PUPPIES!  My 5 YO loved it (and so did I).  They also have a -40 degree  room, but that wasn’t available when we went - not sure if they’ve removed it.   The same company has a location in Juneau as well.  Very entertaining.

Afterwards we wandered around in Skagway - the NPS buildings are interesting for the little ones.

We had a 3-year-old and 8-year-old last month.

We were going to do a float plane in Ketchikan... but it got canceled due to the wind. Ended up walking around a rainy downtown. 

Juneau, we rented a Turo and drove around to the spots we wanted to see. This worked nicely. We didn't make them get out of the car if they didn't want to when we were stopping to look at the scenery. They both loved running around the beach on Douglas Island so we had some stops they liked too. We did the walk to the falls at Mendenhall Glacier and they had a good attitude and enjoyed running around the beach there too. We did need to do a full sit-down meal after the walk at Mendenhall to let them rest and refuel.

Skagway, we did the train. My youngest fell asleep for half of it... but my oldest liked going on the platform to take photos. We gave him one of our old digital cameras for the drop and that helped keep him engaged during the stops. 

As far as whale watching, we did one in Cape Cod a few years ago and our kid fell asleep during it. We did the Major Marine tour in Seward this trip, for a six hour tour, and my three year old slept as well lol but when he was awake he was engaged enough looking for puffins to make me glad we took him. 

We went to the pool on the ship one of the first days and they didn't love it since it was deeper than most hotel pools now. Which was kinda nice because then they weren't badgering us to come back. 

We did make them look at some scenery when in Glacier Bay, etc. But we punted on trying to really force them the whole tiem. We had a mini suite, put some kids movies on the tv on the bed, put the commentary on the TV by the balcony, opened the sliding door, and sat on the balcony and enjoyed our time. We don't watch a ton of movies as a family, so they really enjoyed the options on the TV.

We broke down and purchased some of the knockoff legos for the kids at one of the gift shops in port. Which was a bit of a mistake because the pieces were soooo small. (this is just a random note)

One thing we did do was pack some surprise gifts/toys to keep them busy when we wanted to just relax. However, this didn't avoid a meltdown of our three-year-old in the College Fjords on the promenade deck. GUH!

Our Princess cruise had free ice cream and we kept it as a reward for good behavior.

Our oldest liked looking at the map on the TV and seeing where the boat was. Both kids liked the magician on board.

• Like 1

I would recommend buying a pair of cheap binoculars for each kid.  Buy a book of wildlife (deer, eagles, sea lions, harbor seals, ravens, whales, sea gulls, etc) in Alaska so the kids will know for what they are searching. Keep a tally sheet of what the kids spot.  Add coloring books of Alaska wildlife and don't forget the crayons.

Since July is the first salmon run month in Alaska, black bears may be seen on the shore lines. 

Challenge them to find eagles in the trees (look like ice cream cones).

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5161804.jpg

Sitka is famous for sea otters as another challenge for kids.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/otters/P5298798-2.jpg

My first trip to Alaska was when my children were 2, 5, and 8 years old.  They are now all adults.  The youngest remembers *nothing* about the trip.  The middle child remembers a few things here and there, but mostly getting lost in Valdez because they got distracted by a polar bear mural on a wall and didn't cross the street with us.  (No worries, small town and lots of people from our ship who recognized the ship wrist band and kept track of our little wanderer until we realized we'd lost them and went back, only minutes later.)  The oldest has many fond memories, mostly whale watching (he was obsessed with whales at the time) and kayaking with his dad.  The littles were bored on every excursion we did.  All of the kids enjoyed the kids club and the pool when it was warm enough.

My point?  Your younger kids may be bored and not remember much of the trip later on.  The oldest will remember much more.  Gear your excursions based on what the adults and oldest child will enjoy, but won't bore the little ones completely. 

I'm so glad you asked this question. We are also going in July 2024 and will have 5 grandchildren ages 5-11 (along with their parents). I've just started putting together some excursion options for them to look at. Some in the group need more action, energy-buying than others. I hesitate to book the train as it seems to be a long day but I'll keep looking. 

1 hour ago, surgie said:

I'm so glad you asked this question. We are also going in July 2024 and will have 5 grandchildren ages 5-11 (along with their parents). I've just started putting together some excursion options for them to look at. Some in the group need more action, energy-buying than others. I hesitate to book the train as it seems to be a long day but I'll keep looking. 

We went with our grandkids (5&10) last September including our adult son and his wife.

Sitka...Fortress of the Bear and Raptor Center.

Juneau...the Musher Camp

Ketchikan...Deadliest Catch Bering Sea Tour.

Personally I agree about the train and young kids...I wouldn't even consider that.

On 7/8/2023 at 5:20 PM, ck11140 said:

Hi

Hoping I can get some suggestions for excursions for a Royal Caribbean July 2024 Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. We will be a group of 8 which includes 3 kids ( 4, 6,8). Our stops are:

Sitka- none of us have been here. Seems that there may be many things around town to interest the kids? Is that true?

Skagway- a few of us have been here before and did the railway to the Yukon. Was looking at the Musher Camp? 

Juneau- some of us have done a helicopter to the glaciers. Is whale watching too much for kids? 

Sitka - I recently did Fortress of the Bears, the Raptor Center and then the Sitka National Historical Park.

I think kids would enjoy learning and seeing the bears and the eagles at the Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center. At the Sitka National Historical Park they can run around and see totem poles. Maybe make it a game but they can run off some energy there. It is a pretty park.

I agree about the train. It would be too boring for kids.