USC port?

Redtravel

34 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I know the ships have usb ports. Most of my devices use it. However, I just got new phone which uses a usc port for charging.  Sailing on Mars soon. Does it have usc port connections? 

Greetings

USC is a school in California. What you have is a USB-C connector. The rooms have the traditional USB-A outlets. You can find USB-C to USB-A adapters on Amazon and many retailers. Another option is buying a USB-C charging block which plugs into the standard wall sockets.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know, only the new Expedition ships have USB-C as well as contact charging on the end tables. I’m sure it will be on the new ocean ships but I doubt they will retrofit the existing fleet.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Highly recommend you get a dedicated charger, rather than relying on the ship's USB ports.

Better power delivery.

Here's one I would recommend. Has both A and C outputs, as well as fast charging.  Anker is a solid brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-4-Port-MacBook-Laptops/dp/B098WQRGNQ

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Highly recommend you get a dedicated charger, rather than relying on the ship's USB ports.

Better power delivery.

Here's one I would recommend. Has both A and C outputs, as well as fast charging.  Anker is a solid brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-4-Port-MacBook-Laptops/dp/B098WQRGNQ

Thanks. Ordered chargers from amazon today.

A warning about the charging position on the nightstand on expedition ships. My wife has a Citizen ecodrive watch. On our recent Polaris cruise, we discovered that if she placed her watch on the charging spot on the nightstand, it interfered with its operation and it gained or lost time (we didn't bother to figure out which). Regardless of watch brand or model, probably a good idea to not put it on the charging area of the nightstand.

46 minutes ago, ropomo said:

A warning about the charging position on the nightstand on expedition ships. My wife has a Citizen ecodrive watch. On our recent Polaris cruise, we discovered that if she placed her watch on the charging spot on the nightstand, it interfered with its operation and it gained or lost time (we didn't bother to figure out which). Regardless of watch brand or model, probably a good idea to not put it on the charging area of the nightstand.

It is not a good idea to put ANY electrical/electronic device on a charging area unless you are specifically charging that device.

48 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Wireless charging works by creating an oscillating magnetic field. Could have unintended consequences for other devices.

• Like 1

The Neptune has replaced one of its USB plugs for a USC at the bedside table.  Since I needed both and I had not brought my USC/USC cord, I wound up using my European electrical adapter with my USB/lightening and USB/USC cords.

The Mars probably has a USB and USC plug too.

46 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

Saturn (on now) has a c port in the bedside tables. Most of the other standard USB are low power so a tablet or more (even a kindle fire) needs an adapter of one sort or another.

Not so much an "adapter", but rather a charger that delivers the amperage needed to charge the device.

Something for all to remember....all USB ports are not the same, and unless you KNOW the power rating of the port, you are at the mercy of random charging.  OTOH, if you bring your own power charger, you KNOW the power delivery to your device.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We will be on Mars.  Do I need to bring an adapter?

My rule of thumb.  ALWAYS travel with adapters.  They weigh next to nothing, are easy to put in a small "electronic stuff" bag, and otherwise you will find that when you need one, you've left it at home.

I have a dedicated "travel electronics" bag where I always keep my adapters, cables, a spare thumb drive or two, and a couple of extra AA and AAA batteries.  Easy enough to just grab and pack before a trip.

One other aspect.  I've had various outlets where they have become worn and loose over time.  Sometimes an adapter will work better in the outlet than the native plug, so I use it as a fix.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

If you bring an adapter you can use the European plugs too.  Assuming your charger can can handle 240 volts.  Most do.  That way you have more plug options.  But you don't have to bring one.  The are US plugs and USB-A charging ports in the cabins.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, Redtravel said:

With my new iPhone, I need a USBC as well, and bought a similar quick charge Anker plug to the one mentioned above. Ours is dual, so a USBA can plug into it also. Plugged into any regular socket here at home, that sucker charges things really fast.

As far as the Mars, we were on its maiden voyage last May. I don't recall that it had one USBC outlet yet, but I could be wrong. Neither of our phones at the time needed them, but now both of ours do. We will be on the Mars for two different itineraries in both September and December, so I guess we'll find out for sure then. Sorry I couldn't help you.