Do you tip at Speciality Restaurants?

krufrank

2 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

Because someone is cleaning your table, preparing the food, and washing your dishes.   It's simple 

They all earn a salary. I’m serving myself. Just like going to a fast food restaurant, tipping at a buffet would never even cross my mind.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:37 AM, krufrank said:

We have 2 “free” dinners at any speciality restaurant on our upcoming cruise. We are going to Cagney’s and then the Brazilian place. Do we need to tip after the meal? We’ve prepaid gratuities for the trip. Just wondering protocol. Thanks. 

You paid gratuities for those meals separately. They charge you the 20% tip when you are booking your cruise. If you want to leave a little more you can. 

We usually give the server a little cash in hand.  It is not necessary or expected since it has been paid already.

14 hours ago, JustAllie said:

FYI according to NCL, the service charges are already included with the specialty dining vouchers provided to guests with Latitudes tiers of Platinum and above. We have always had exceptional service at the specialty restaurants and tipped some on top of that. But the service charge is included in the vouchers. 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-do-specialty-dinner-benefits-cover

Emphasis added below.

This benefit offers two dinners for two at a specialty restaurant for Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ambassador guests. Each stateroom will receive a voucher in their Welcome Back card on embarkation day for:

•  Dinner for Two with a Bottle of Wine

•  Dinner for Two

Service charges are included in this benefit. Guest to present voucher to their server before ordering. Benefit entitles each guest to an appetizer, one entrée, and a dessert of your choice. Upcharges apply on certain premium menu items. Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included. In à la carte restaurants, coupon can be redeemed for 4 menu items per person (Sushi, Wasabi, Nama, Teppanyaki, Hasuki, Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar or Raw Bar). Dinner coupons are non-transferable. Solo guests cannot claim two dinners. Coupons cannot be used for the same venue twice. 2 guests maximum. Dining options vary by ship.

BTW I agree that the language about solo guests is confusing. Everything I've heard indicates that they can bring a 2nd person and use their voucher for 2 in that way, but they can't dine alone on two times on a single coupon. 

Oh, wow! Thank you for adding this! Since I'm not eligible, I've never looked into those benefits. In that case, ignore my "edit to add." 

And, I so appreciate you adding the link and language. So very helpful for those that are looking to use their dining vouchers and unsure about tips. 

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh, wow! Thank you for adding this! Since I'm not eligible, I've never looked into those benefits. In that case, ignore my "edit to add." 

And, I so appreciate you adding the link and language. So very helpful for those that are looking to use their dining vouchers and unsure about tips. 

My husband and I are Platinum and did not realize this either.   

15 hours ago, JustAllie said:

FYI according to NCL, the service charges are already included with the specialty dining vouchers provided to guests with Latitudes tiers of Platinum and above. We have always had exceptional service at the specialty restaurants and tipped some on top of that. But the service charge is included in the vouchers. 

Emphasis added below.

This benefit offers two dinners for two at a specialty restaurant for Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ambassador guests. Each stateroom will receive a voucher in their Welcome Back card on embarkation day for:

•  Dinner for Two

Service charges are included in this benefit. Guest to present voucher to their server before ordering. Benefit entitles each guest to an appetizer, one entrée, and a dessert of your choice. Upcharges apply on certain premium menu items. Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included. In à la carte restaurants, coupon can be redeemed for 4 menu items per person (Sushi, Wasabi, Nama, Teppanyaki, Hasuki, Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar or Raw Bar). Dinner coupons are non-transferable. Solo guests cannot claim two dinners. Coupons cannot be used for the same venue twice. 2 guests maximum. Dining options vary by ship.

BTW I agree that the language about solo guests is confusing. Everything I've heard indicates that they can bring a 2nd person and use their voucher for 2 in that way, but they can't dine alone on two times on a single coupon. 

Thank you for posting this information.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JustAllie said:

Emphasis added below.

•  Dinner for Two

That being said, there is no real money added to the "tipping" pool for Latitudes Rewards dinners.  That is why we will always tip extra for our Latitudes dinners.

1 hour ago, Beaver1975 said:

That being said, there is no real money added to the "tipping" pool for Latitudes Rewards dinners.  That is why we will always tip extra for our Latitudes dinners.

When NCL tell me the comp meal includes the service/gratuity/tip, that's my gratitude fulfilled to the value of the standard rate(20%).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beaver1975 said:

there is no real money added to the "tipping" pool for Latitudes Rewards dinners

How do you define "real money?"  Absolutely amazing to me how the cruise convinces all these people to work for free.  I wish I had that magic power.

• Haha 2

Here's a stupid question: If using a latitudes or FAS dining voucher for a meal, what is the 20% based off of?  Each meal I get has a different cost at the end depending on what I order, so if I was paying a-la-cart, the 20% would be based off my total bill.  So is the 20% auto-gratuity the same, or is it based on an NCL value for that voucher?

Depending on the server we have both not tipped more than the included 20% that we tipped up front and have tipped more on top of that. 

Same for bar staff, room steward, etc.  I will say that it is rare that we don't tip more than what is required.  The majority of the staff are working their tails off to provide a great experience.

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Here's a stupid question: If using a latitudes or FAS dining voucher for a meal, what is the 20% based off of?  Each meal I get has a different cost at the end depending on what I order, so if I was paying a-la-cart, the 20% would be based off my total bill.  So is the 20% auto-gratuity the same, or is it based on an NCL value for that voucher?

Don't care the costs/charges  are all made up 

The service/gratuities/tip is included that's all I need to know.

Not a big fan of basing service on what's charged.

Why does a server doing a great job at a $50 dive deserve less than the server at the $100 a steak place.

Why not use something relevant like $1 a plate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Why does a server doing a great job at a $50 dive deserve less than the server at the $100 a steak place.

$50? You need to come to some real dives with me, $15 prime rib specials and the like.  Let me know when you're game! And I never tip more than 10% anymore, since servers on the west coast all make at least $15 hourly minimum wage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MacGuffin3 said:

$50? You need to come to some real dives with me, $15 prime rib specials and the like.  Let me know when you're game! And I never tip more than 10% anymore, since servers on the west coast all make at least $15 hourly minimum wage.

On NCL that dive is the buffet, Prime twice on a 10n Dawn.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:19 AM, insidecabin said:

When the service is to the required standard no more is required.

20% is more than enough

Why would you?

Tipping is whatever you wish.  If the service is extra special, I'll tip more.  If I'm on a 3 to 4000 dollar vacation, a extra 20 will not break me

On 7/13/2023 at 3:37 PM, MacGuffin3 said:

They all earn a salary. I’m serving myself. Just like going to a fast food restaurant, tipping at a buffet would never even cross my mind.

How about the person making your custom omelette? Not even a dollar?

3 minutes ago, FastShip24 said:

How about the person making your custom omelette? Not even a dollar?

Nah. What's different about him than any other cook? When you order an omelette at a restaurant where the cook isn't standing right in front of you, do you walk back into the kitchen and hand him a dollar?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/13/2023 at 2:44 PM, cruiseny4life said:

If only personnel in the buffet (and in specialty restaurants, to get us back on track) were well-versed in the placement of silverware. Then there would be no need to worry. They wouldn't even have to ask me if I was finished. They would silently just leave me alone or take my plate.

See y'all, I know the etiquette...I just choose not to use it. Which makes me more a heathen: not knowing it or knowing it and not using it? 🤡

Table etiquette. Position of fork and knife on plate. Signal for waiter. Rules of conduct at table. Eco tableware.

Source: https://stock.adobe.com/search?k="table+etiquette"

🤯

Mind blown! I had no idea how much of a heathen I was/am?  OMG - thank you for sharing!

• Haha 2

On 7/14/2023 at 9:59 PM, smillerholmes said:

🤯

Mind blown! I had no idea how much of a heathen I was/am?  OMG - thank you for sharing!

I used to work for a nonprofit. As part of our orientation they had us all participate in a dining etiquette training since we often organized fancy schmancy dinners to raise cash. I knew most of it (being raised by grandparents helps with this part), but definitely picked up a few things. It is actually kind of cool when you're at a place the servers recognize the different positions of the fork/knife!

On 7/14/2023 at 2:26 PM, insidecabin said:

Don't care the costs/charges  are all made up 

The service/gratuities/tip is included that's all I need to know.

Not a big fan of basing service on what's charged.

Why not use something relevant like $1 a plate?

I never understood that either.

In general...we are 20% tippers.  If it's a restaurant where the servers know us...I add in a few $$$ because they give us extras (substitutes, extra dessert).

On a cruise....nothing extra (however on NCL, except for the platinum meals, all are in the buffet).

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I used to work for a nonprofit. As part of our orientation they had us all participate in a dining etiquette training since we often organized fancy schmancy dinners to raise cash. I knew most of it (being raised by grandparents helps with this part), but definitely picked up a few things. It is actually kind of cool when you're at a place the servers recognize the different positions of the fork/knife!

I know of at least one large aerospace company that has training program for persons designated to be moving into high positions in the company, especially when those positions are expected to interact with important people outside the company.  This program is a year long consisting of two week long sessions and one weekend per month for the year.  A major portion of the training is 'fork etiquette' along with other aspects of dining.  Included is several hours on how/when to order wine.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:29 PM, MacGuffin3 said:

They want me to chase down the person, figure out their name and position, and take five minutes + to fill this long form for what?  And it goes into some lottery for what exactly?  For truly above and beyond service, I think I would give them cash before I wasted everybody's time (mainly mine) on this.

I snap a picture of their name anytime I am really impressed with someone. This way I can add them in my review after the cruise and acknowledge them. This really helps them move up in their career and get raises etc. In my opinion it’s worth more than than few dollars.

I am not American though so tipping everyone all the time is not part of my culture. Especially since I’ve already paid for gratuities.

• Like 2

We do the same @SoloAlaska, we do the auto-gratuities as suggested by the cruise lines, and then I squint and try to read name tags for the very good staff we encounter during out trip, and we usually submit 4-5 names at the end of every cruise for commendation.  Actually, we have had multiple staff say that is the most helpful thing we can do them.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2023 at 2:38 PM, MacGuffin3 said:

Prices for everything have gone up, so our solution? We go out to eat less and cook at home more. Something's gotta give. If you charge me $18 for a sandwich and expect a 20% tip on TOP of that? Yeah, no thanks. I'll make my own for less than that.

• Like 1