Wall bump outs

florafun

Some of the DV4 and DV5 rooms have a wall bump out at the foot of the bed and some don't. See the difference in these two pictures. Is there any way to know ahead of time what rooms do NOT have the bump out? If the bump out is there, my husband can't get past the bed without folding up his walker.

Viking room - no bump out.jpg

Viking room - bump out.jpg

Some of the DV4 and DV5 rooms have a wall bump out at the foot of the bed and some don't. See the difference in these two pictures. Is there any way to know ahead of time what rooms do NOT have the bump out? If the bump out is there, my husband can't get past the bed without folding up his walker.

36 minutes ago, florafun said:

Are you sure he can get past it even without the bump out in a DV. It’s a pretty tight fit.

I don't know if someone has a list with this info. We have seen a list for fore and aft bed orientations and which PV's have sliders vs doors but not for the bump outs.  First time we had the bump out was 4039.  It wasn't a big deal for us as we are thin people.  I could see it would be an annoying issue for a walker.  We have also been in 4030 and 4111 which do not have it.  Next cruise is 3046 and looks like we have it.  I would think Viking could tell you.

10 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Would it not impact the stated sq. ft.?

I doubt they would note that. All the DV's are listed as the same SF. As it's likely a difference of only about 2 SF it's kind of in the noise.

31 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

How about dv2 cabins on deck 5?

Some will have them.  Not sure which but they do not stick out into the cabin very much.  I understand about wheelchair clearance but in two world cruises with the structural members we didn't notice them until this thread.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:38 PM, florafun said:

That would be a very bruising experience for me even without a walker.

It's not about the loss of square footage in the room; it is well less than a one percent difference, too small a number to lose sleep over.

The issue is the ill-placed obstruction in the middle of the only way to get from one end of the cabin to the other. I worry about stubbing my toe on the damned thing in the middle of the night -- plus the awkward dance every time traverse the cabin.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 8:55 PM, Peregrina651 said:

It's not about the loss of square footage in the room; it is well less than a one percent difference, too small a number to lose sleep over.

The issue is the ill-placed obstruction in the middle of the only way to get from one end of the cabin to the other. I worry about stubbing my toe on the damned thing in the middle of the night -- plus the awkward dance every time traverse the cabin.

Now I would love to see a video of that awkward traverse dance, especially when wearing your jammies!

On 7/15/2023 at 8:55 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Ha, I always get the side of the bed closest to the bathroom.  I think the only challenge we had with the bump out is getting a suitcase under the bed on that side.