Persuade us to try Marella

Sorry, I think I have posted this before and wasn't totally persuaded. It was before Covid so I know that cruising has changed on all lines

We normally sail with P&O and Celebrity for special cruises.

We retire next year so for once can have a look at cruises out of the school holidays.

Have seen some for May 24 that have amazing itineraries and the ships are Discovery and Explorer (I think)

We are thinking that the cruises for May 25 will be similar

Can anyone on here give us any reasons to give it a go? P&O isn't what it once was and Celebrity too expensive at the moment

Thanks

Hi Presto, we have done many cruises with Thomson and Marella. We have also cruised with Princess and P&O. We loved Princess but didn't like the fixed dinner arrangements so that put us off.

I would say Marella is fairly similar to P&O but we weren't impressed with the entertainment on P&O (although it's a while ago). The food was slightly better on P&O in our opinion.

Marella ships are older like Arcadia and Ventura but are well kept and the staff are the best we've known, always smiling and helpful and even the officers all speak to you. Marella itineraries do it for us, lots of choice and the fact that you fly to the port is an advantage, also only 1sea day per week. Entertainment isn't as good as it used to be but they have some good shows and excellent musicians aboard - oh and don't miss the crew show, fabulous!  

No formal night but 'dress to impress' in its place. You will find that most people make an effort but there are always a few that can't be bothered, but I think this is now across all cruise lines.

Just give it a go but go with an open mind. You've cruised before but I think a lot of the negative reviews recently are often from first time cruisers who haven't done much research.

Discovery is our favourite ship but we are on Explorer 2 in September, however we've booked Princess next June as we want to do the Baltic so we will be able to compare.

• Thanks 1

And the other major difference from P&O is that on Marella the standard drinks package is included!

Whether this makes a difference will depend on your drinking habits, but it does mean that for example you can get house wine and prosecco during meals (as much as you want)

• Thanks 1

The MDR is situated on one deck and there is an Italian section on the deck above (free). When you go to the MDR they will ask if you want a table for 2 or a shared table (usually for 6). Most of the tables in the Italian section are for 2. The Italian menu rotates every other day but there is plenty of choice.

At lunch time there is the snack shack with sandwiches, salads, burgers, fish/chips etc. 

There is a coffee port for cakes etc, and some ships have Nonnas for pizza etc.

If you Google each ship you will be able to find exactly what is included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over the years we have cruised with 13 different cruise lines. They all have their pros and cons, but we have enjoyed them all and would return to them all. You should definitely try other lines. I would say Marella are certainly equal to P&O. We choose by itinerary and convenient date. 

• Thanks 1

We have been on Marella Explorer 2 (adults only) several times so I can only speak for this ship - but I expect the others are very similar.

All inclusive with good brand included drinks.

Fantastic staff - really friendly and efficient. (Probably the best in our experience)

Well organised excursions.

Good MDR - easy to get table for 2 with nice food.

Relaxed atmosphere.

Adults only on explorer 2.

The only thing we don’t like is they are all fly cruises - if they went from the UK I would probably use Marella all the time.

go for it ! You won’t be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:33 AM, Presto2 said:

Thanks. Am I right in thinking Explorer and Explorer 2 are former Celebrity ships? Think the funnel looks like they could be.

Explorer was Celebrity Galaxy and Explorer 2 was Century. The new ship Voyager was Mercury.

• Thanks 1

Big thumbs up for Marella from us.

Sailed Discovery 2 to Caribbean Nov 2021 & March 2022, primarily for the great itineraries and good last minute deals helped. Loved both and would definitely cruise again. Always found the food great and staff one of the friendliest  bunch we’ve encountered at sea! 
Sailed P&O Britannia Feb 2023, last minute good deal, for us they were a massive fail. The service in the bars was atrocious, both speed, attitude of staff and quality of cocktails. The buffet was the smallest we’ve ever seen at see. Only cruise we’ve been on with no live omelette station for breakfast and roast beef dinners 3 days out of 4! MDR portions were unbelievably small and unseasoned. One speciality dining restaurant  was exceptional and ate there 7 nights out of 14. Don’t even get me started on the drinks package, we didn’t fall for that one! 
Don’t think twice about Marella, do it !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hear hear!!! We have done 2 cruises on Explorer and have 2 more booked on her. We are multi P& O cruise people but think Marella are better. Staff excellent, food excellent and ship clean and welcoming. We haven’t eaten in the MDR except for breakfast. We like the speciality restaurants even though they charge a bit more except for Tapas and Vista. You must go to the Dining Club at least one evening. Brilliant. We always upgrade to the premium all inclusive for drinks and it is well worth it. 
Go for it and enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just back two days ago from Explorer 2, the adult only one.  We had two more booked one this October and one next October.  I booked Explorer 2 for next April yesterday.

I was unsure about Marella before our first one.  Thinking it would be all football tops and drink.  Its anything but.  The meals in dining areas are good.  The buffet is average.  the speciality restuarants are superb.  The dining club 7 course menu with wine matching was a three hour experience and worth every penny of the £45 it cost.

Crew seem friendlier than on our last PandO.  The entertainment tream were excellent.   On our last PandO the cutbacks were noticable.  Far less choice in the restaurants, shortages of some foods (butter was rationed).  No such issues with Marella.

Its now my first port of call when looking for a cruise.  yes the ships are older but they are also smaller and friendlier.  Personally I don't like the big ships.  They may have extras like dodgem cars and ice rinks but they also have thousands more people and not enough space for everyone to sit.

• Like 4

Are we able to book the speciality restaurants before we sail and are they using an 'app' for the freedom dining (or whatever TUI call it)? Just curious as I am hating the new P&O system with a passion.

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Are we able to book the speciality restaurants before we sail and are they using an 'app' for the freedom dining (or whatever TUI call it)? Just curious as I am hating the new P&O system with a passion.

Yes, you can book the specialty dining before you sale.  No app for the main dining. You just turn up at the doors. If busy, usually after about 7.30, they provide a pager so that you can go and enjoy a drink before dining.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Miller Cruiser said:

Yes, you can book the specialty dining before you sale.  No app for the main dining. You just turn up at the doors. If busy, usually after about 7.30, they provide a pager so that you can go and enjoy a drink before dining.

Great.  Common sense at last .... sounding more promising than ever. 

• Like 1

We are platinum on celebrity and have cruises booked with them for next year and 2 on P&O  for this year. Tbh the food on Marella is no where near as good as celebrity but that is the only down side the entertainment, venues and fellow guests are far superior (imho) we have a lot more “fun” on Marella. We are trying P&O again after 2 previous disasters purely because of vfm and will report back on those

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 7:33 PM, dronnygirl said:

the fact that you fly to the port is an advantage, also only 1sea day per week.

is this a norm for all sailings ? not leaving a UK Port, having to fly to another city to board and only one sea day per week?  say we are cruising a 7 days... will it stop every day for tours on shore?

Hi @Presto2  (and everyone else!) thanks for this post and the answers, we were trying to find out more about the line but wasn't sure how to go about it, reading lots of reviews doesn't do for my tired old brain....this thread answers many questions we have!

Have been seeing lots of offers that seem so appealing as they are advertising as standards included drinks pack, net connection, flights and tips, all included, was going to read through some reviews but then I saw this thread...so thanks!

We had a really bad experience with P&O long, very long time ago, haven't cruised in years but for what we are reading, P&O isn't doing much to appeal to us now, Marella prices and the almost all included thing is more than appealing, my daughter asked for a cruise as a birthday present...

Would love to have an answer for the flying and sea days.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

is this a norm for all sailings ? not leaving a UK Port, having to fly to another city to board and only one sea day per week?  say we are cruising a 7 days... will it stop every day for tours on shore?

Hi @Presto2  (and everyone else!) thanks for this post and the answers, we were trying to find out more about the line but wasn't sure how to go about it, reading lots of reviews doesn't do for my tired old brain....this thread answers many questions we have!

Have been seeing lots of offers that seem so appealing as they are advertising as standards included drinks pack, net connection, flights and tips, all included, was going to read through some reviews but then I saw this thread...so thanks!

We had a really bad experience with P&O long, very long time ago, haven't cruised in years but for what we are reading, P&O isn't doing much to appeal to us now, Marella prices and the almost all included thing is more than appealing, my daughter asked for a cruise as a birthday present...

Would love to have an answer for the flying and sea days.....

Hi Mrs peel.

Most Marella itineraries are fly cruises where you fly to where the ship is berthed. On a seven day cruise,you normally get one sea day and visit different ports on the remaining days. The itineraries for each ship can be found on the Marella website.

Usually flights,tips,standard drinks package, and most restaurants on board are included.

You can upgrade the drinks package and dine in restaurants that have an additional charge if you want to.  Internet access is available and is a chargeable extra

hope this helps.😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Hi @Presto2

Hi Mrs Peel

Unfortunately Marella no longer cruise from the UK, they used to cruise from Newcastle but that ended in 2020.  You fly direct to the cruise port and are transported direct to the ship. It's all very easy and saves 2 days at sea if you are going to the Med.  This is what really appeals to us.

• Like 1

There can also be some advantage with Marella fly-cruises, given that they will (usually) use the parent company airline, TUI, and have special baggage handling arrangements in some places.

For example, we recently returned from Explorer 2, flying to and from Dubrovnik.  On the last night, we put out our bags as normal, and instead of having to claim them after disembarking, transfer them to a coach and check them in at the airport, the next time we saw them was on the baggage carousel in Cardiff.

• Thanks 1