Seeking Input - Retreat on Infinity, Silhouette, and Equinox

moneeman

We cruised in a suite for the first time in 2019 on Millenium, only a couple of months coming from their latest remodel.  I think it was called "Revolutionized", or something like that.  While Millenium is a small ship by today's standard, we thoroughly enjoyed the Retreat experience.  When we decided to do a Med cruise last year, we were thrilled to be on one of the first Beyond cruises.  Naturally, that was amazing.  We are now looking at either a Greece or Norway cruise next year.  A couple of new ships are possibilities, but we really like some of the itineraries better on older ships.  One is on Equinox, which was renovated in 2019, so I'm guessing that was the same treatment as we saw on Millenium (with likely a larger sundeck area, which is no big deal either way for us).  The other two ships with good itineraries are the Infinity (Greece) and Silhouette (Norway).  It looks like Silhouette also received the Retreat upgrade in 2020, but Infinity was last updated in 2018 (pre-Retreat).

I would love some information or opinions on how the Suite amenities currently on Infinity compare to what we had on Millenium in 2019.  I also would like to hear what you like or do not like about the Retreat amenities on Silhouette and Equinox.  That will help us narrow our choices.

Edited by moneeman

• moneeman changed the title to Seeking Input - Retreat on Infinity, Silhouette, and Equinox
1 hour ago, moneeman said:

We cruised in a suite for the first time in 2019 on Millenium, only a couple of months coming from their latest remodel.  I think it was called "Revolutionized", or something like that.  While Millenium is a small ship by today's standard, we thoroughly enjoyed the Retreat experience.  When we decided to do a Med cruise last year, we were thrilled to be on one of the first Beyond cruises.  Naturally, that was amazing.  We are now looking at either a Greece or Norway cruise next year.  A couple of new ships are possibilities, but we really like some of the itineraries better on older ships.  One is on Equinox, which was renovated in 2019, so I'm guessing that was the same treatment as we saw on Millenium (with likely a larger sundeck area, which is no big deal either way for us).  The other two ships with good itineraries are the Infinity (Greece) and Silhouette (Norway).  It looks like Silhouette also received the Retreat upgrade in 2020, but Infinity was last updated in 2018 (pre-Retreat).

I would love some information or opinions on how the Suite amenities currently on Infinity compare to what we had on Millenium in 2019.  I also would like to hear what you like or do not like about the Retreat amenities on Silhouette and Equinox.  That will help us narrow our choices.

Equinox was not fully revolutionized.  They redid Michaels Club into The Retreat and also have a Retreat area on Deck 16 with loungers and other seating - no bar, hot tub, etc.  it’s always very windy up there.  Luminae is nice.  We have a B2B on Equinox in September as it’s our favorite ship.  We will be in the Retreat.  

The Infinity has NOT been revolutionized at all. There is an old Michael’s Club, but NO retreat Sundeck. The only suite amenity would be Luminae. Of the ships you mentioned, only the Millennium and the Silhouette have been revolutionized. I would pick one of those!

Silhoutte was fully revolutionized and also has more specialty restaurants than the others. We happen to love Equinox for the wonderful crew and don't care at all about no bar, hot tub or pool on the Retreat Sun Deck. We rarely go there anyway. But  the best choice of a Retreat experience would be Silhoutte. 

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Silhoutte was fully revolutionized and also has more specialty restaurants than the others. We happen to love Equinox for the wonderful crew and don't care at all about no bar, hot tub or pool on the Retreat Sun Deck. We rarely go there anyway. But  the best choice of a Retreat experience would be Silhoutte. 

If you are going to spend the extra $$$ for that class, then Silhouette would be my choice.  The reasons have been already cited above.

Thanks for the replies.  Price, obviously, comes into play, and the prices vary as you would expect.  The average price per night for the potential voyages we are considering are:

Norway

Apex - $620/night - 3 possible cruises

Silhouette -$581/night - 1 possible cruise

Greece

Ascent - $617/night - 3 possible cruises

Equinox - $510/night - 3 possible cruises

Infinity - $508/night - 12 possible cruises

In Norway, the price difference isn't huge, but as I said before, I much prefer the itinerary on Silhouette.

In Greece, the price difference is much more significant.  Of course, you get all the added benefits of the new ship for that price.  Based on feedback, we will likely eliminate Infinity.

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 minutes ago, moneeman said:

Thanks for the replies.  Price, obviously, comes into play, and the prices vary as you would expect.  The average price per night for the potential voyages we are considering are:

Norway

Apex - $620/night - 3 possible cruises

Silhouette -$581/night - 1 possible cruise

Greece

Ascent - $617/night - 3 possible cruises

Equinox - $510/night - 3 possible cruises

Infinity - $508/night - 12 possible cruises

In Norway, the price difference isn't huge, but as I said before, I much prefer the itinerary on Silhouette.

In Greece, the price difference is much more significant.  Of course, you get all the added benefits of the new ship for that price.  Based on feedback, we will likely eliminate Infinity.

Just curious, what room type do you get on Ascent for $617/night? Is that per person?

Edited by 4-2-N-8

7 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Just curious, what room type do you get on Ascent for $617/night? Is that per person?

Sorry, I should have specified room type when quoting rates.  The prices are for Sky Suites.  The three specific Ascent cruises are:

7/13/24 - 7 nights - $4,367/7 = $623/night

7/20/24 - 7 nights - $4,239/7 = $605/night

7/27/24 - 7 nights - $4,367/7 = $623/night

All of those cruises currently have a $650 OBC for suites, which is NOT factored in the per-night rates above.  Edited to add this is a per-person rate.  Double occupancy required to receive this price.

Edited by moneeman

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, moneeman said:

Sorry, I should have specified room type when quoting rates.  The prices are for Sky Suites.  The three specific Ascent cruises are:

7/13/24 - 7 nights - $4,367/7 = $623/night

7/20/24 - 7 nights - $4,239/7 = $605/night

7/27/24 - 7 nights - $4,367/7 = $623/night

All of those cruises currently have a $650 OBC for suites, which is NOT factored in the per-night rates above.  Edited to add this is a per-person rate.  Double occupancy required to receive this price.

I've not considered the Sky Suite for various reasons, but appreciate your replying. That is an amazing price.

Thank you and good luck.

We sailed on Revolutionized Millie last year.  Personally I like Equinox. Eastern Med is my favorite area to cruise. Plus you can do glassblowing. Silhouette is a little bigger version of Equinox. Silhouette has a specialty restaurant instead of glassblowing.

I've been on all 3 ships since the restart.

Infinity is the same class as Millennium, but not revolutionized.  I was on it and Summit (revolutionized) a month apart.  On those ships, the difference between Michael's Club and the revolutionized retreat lounge is less than on the E class.  I actually like the Michael's club furniture better, as on the Summit it's not very practical.  The self service food area is nice - on the Infinity, the staff can bring you some snacks in the afternoon, but no self service.  

By the way, we liked the ship, but were were in a cold weather area and it was drafty near the doors to outside - I think the weatherstripping was worn out.

On the Silhouette and Equinox the new Retreat decor reminds me of a cross between Denny's and an Airport Lounge.  Get one group of 6 or 7 drunk and loud people in there and it gets very noisy because of lack of carpets in the main part.  On the Equinox there was such a group and we spent most of our time in the entryway area, which was quieter.

It was a little better on the Silhouette.  

One other thing to be aware of is that Luminae is much smaller on the Infinity as well.  One long room that can get loud when busy.

• Like 1

Just come back from the Silhouette, and most of this is reasonable. The lounge became our default "quiet place" to hang out.

What I would say is not to book the Silhouette for the sun deck if you're off to Norway. We cruised the Baltic in the middle of summer, and it was closed or unpleasant due to weather around 1/2 to 2/3rds of the time. When we were there, it was great, but it's not something that I'd book the class for.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, moneeman said:

Sailed on the Equinox in January in a suite and used all of the Retreat amenities.  The service is extraordinary and the facilities great.  The cabins have not been redone but they are comfy and in pretty good condition.  Again, tho, the service was fabulous!  Dining in Luminae was the best food ever on a Celebrity ship!