Celebrity Apex to the Caribbean 2023 - mainly photos for anyone interested

Dreamer68

OK. So, on to the MDR. .I liked the idea of 4 MDRs. It made me think I was visiting 4 specialty restaurants. Each one is beautifully decorated. 4 restaurants meant I felt less shy about recycling my evening wear. 🤣This was important as we were travelling light. Yes, we got through a one-week cruise with only carry-on luggage. 💪 Canadian winters are unpredictable and we weren't sure luggage issues at airports were fully sorted out from several months earlier. Although we were arriving a day early, we just did not want to chance not having our luggage arrive. Winter is also why we choose non-stop flights if possible (that's where my budget goes). Well, 2 days before we left, the first snowstorm of the year arrived. Our flight was delayed but thanks to how we only had carry-on luggage, we got to jump on the flight before ours which also got delayed. We ended up arriving at almost the same original time in FLL. Phew!

The downside of 4 MDRs is we never got a chance to know our wait team well, nor they us. Back on the Summit, by day 3, we were joking around with our head waiter and he knew small details about how we liked things, including how my son enjoyed chocolate milk with his dessert and he'd bring along a tall glass of cold chocolate milk when he came to get our table's dessert orders. We dined at all 4 restaurants, returning to 2 of them twice (Cyprus and Tuscan). And each time, we were seated at different areas with different serving teams. So, no go on connecting with the staff, especially if they were introverts.

Here are photos from Tuscan, please forgive the earlier photos in my MDR section of photos, I took time to figure out how to get rid of those vertical lines (grid noise) my camera picked up based on the lighting in the restaurants.

IMG_20230107_215126466.jpg

IMG_20230108_025937983_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230108_025948465_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Hits and misses at the Tuscan. I downloaded the Celebrity app only 2 weeks before sailing and therefore failed to secure any early dining times. No problem, we simply adjusted the rest of our day. So, this first night, by the time we got in around 8:45 pm, there were only about 30 people or less eating. We were shown to a table for two at the far end from the entrance, situated right where the waiters pick up and drop off (especially drop off) plates. It seemed almost like there was a door to the galley open the whole time and it was very noisy. Funnily, there were lots of empty tables not close to the noisy "last row" of tables...I do not understand why we got placed there...other than perhaps to share the workload among the staff teams working that night. Food was good in general except for the dish recommended by the waiter. A flat pasta in creamy sauce with braised short ribs. Half the pasta was a big clump so that was disappointing.  I love the bread baskets and the assortment of dips/ butter.

IMG_20230107_205232847.jpg

IMG_20230107_205351277_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20230107_205450522.jpg

IMG_20230107_210845605.jpg

IMG_20230107_213512177.jpg

IMG_20230107_214453128.jpg

IMG_20230107_214535951.jpg

• Like 2

Our second time at Tuscan was the night we were getting a surprise from Celebrity for our anniversary. The surprise was a lovely piece of chocolate mousse cake that arrived after the meal before we ordered dessert 😍. Here's the MISS: the waiter had asked about allergies before we started the meal. I said I was allergic to hazelnuts so any chocolate dessert with hazelnuts, I would not be able to enjoy. Well, at the end of the meal,he came with the special anniversary cake and as he laid the plate on the table, he said, "Unfortunately, there's hazelnut in here..." .... errr....errr... I was aware he was just the "messenger" and one never shoots the messenger but I was somewhat flabbergasted. 🤦‍♀️ Why ask your guests about food allergies and then ignore what they say and make no effort (either him or the chef on duty) to switch out a special celebratory item that was supposed to be a lovely gesture from the cruise line but that could end up killing your guest. (I travel with an Epipen) Sigh. This was a BIG miss in my books. I was only asked about my food allergy 4 out of 7 visits to the MDRs. So, there is room for improvement here, A LOT of room.

The other much smaller misses were that fruit crumbles or pies à la mode were served at room temperature. Where I am from, the pies and crumbles are at least warm or piping hot from the oven, with a scoop of icy cold ice cream just before serving. Also, the fresh fruit served (watermelon in the salad and strawberry on the anniversary cake) were bland. Not sweet. Tasted like water. Similar most nights that I had something that had fresh fruit in it. Bland. I wonder about the supplier...

PS - I liked the octopus carpaccio so much the first night, I had it again. By this evening, I had gotten a handle on my camera and the photos are better.

IMG_20230109_204801255.jpg

IMG_20230109_205149418.jpg

IMG_20230109_205212490.jpg

IMG_20230109_210625746.jpg

IMG_20230109_211610839.jpg

IMG_20230109_211949766.jpg

IMG_20230109_213233862.jpg

IMG_20230109_213337393.jpg

IMG_20230109_214254512.jpg

IMG_20230109_214400354.jpg

IMG_20230109_220111665.jpg

IMG_20230109_220135511.jpg

• Like 2

The colourful dessert (3rd last photo of the previous section) was their Phyllo Dough Tulip (filled with citrus cream and topped with assorted fresh fruit). I might have had a bad batch but the fruit on my tulip was quite bland. The presentation was fantastic though. The French Onion soup was so good, DH had it a 2nd time at another MDR and proclaimed it just as good.

The 2nd MDR we went to was the Cosmopolitan. This is where I finally figured out my camera settings to adjust for the vertical lines. Food was good but not memorable, hence, I'm just posting what was. The decor was spectacular. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous for me. In a way, being among the final diners for the evening was very relaxing. The staff quietly and efficiently laid the tables for the following day but never in a way that caused us to feel we had to hurry up and finish our meal. Grateful for that! I believe the Cosmopolitan is the MDR that is used for sit-down breakfasts and lunches on the APEX.

The smoked duck salad was good (a good mix of salty meat and fresh greens), as was the steak (the sauce was rich and deep). The presentation for the chocolate lava cake was fantastic (with caramelized banana, coffee icecream (you can switch it for chocolate ice cream which is what DH did) and caramel. The miss here was the lava cake was overcooked (no oozing chocolate when you cut into it) and my pannacotta was bland...as was the fruit adorning it. Perhaps I will say it was non-distinct...?  The pannacotta was supposed to be "cooked cream with a hint of orange and lemon, served with raspberry coulis and fresh fruit". Sadly, this was the first time I have not finished a dessert in a lovely restaurant. 😔Ah well, tomorrow would be a new day of food adventures! 😋😋🤞💪

IMG_20230108_204333144.jpg

IMG_20230108_204922222_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20230108_205613592.jpg

IMG_20230108_211727930.jpg

IMG_20230108_214440295.jpg

IMG_20230108_214553799.jpg

IMG_20230108_215246072.jpg

IMG_20230108_214055619.jpg

IMG_20230108_214351774.jpg

IMG_20230108_210733166.jpg

• Like 2

I noted that your anniversary gift was not nut-free and the same happened to us in Tuscan Grille on the Summit. I always mention my allergies at the start of my meal even if it is noted in our record.  It was brought by the maitre d'. It was a nice gesture.

Also we always enjoyed sitting at the same table with other guests years ago but now with so many people going to shows and specialty dining the assigned seating with others does not work.  However, on our last cruise(Summit) we were in the same area with other guests in the MDR(group of 3 women and a married couple) and by chance had conversations with them at shows or at a bar so we created our own area for the 7 of us.  It was so much fun seeing them every night and also getting to know our servers.  Like old times for sure. I know that because of how dining on Apex is arranged this will not happen again.

Please do continue with your review - enjoying it immensely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dazey said:

I noted that your anniversary gift was not nut-free and the same happened to us in Tuscan Grille on the Summit. I always mention my allergies at the start of my meal even if it is noted in our record.  It was brought by the maitre d'. It was a nice gesture.

Also we always enjoyed sitting at the same table with other guests years ago but now with so many people going to shows and specialty dining the assigned seating with others does not work.  However, on our last cruise(Summit) we were in the same area with other guests in the MDR(group of 3 women and a married couple) and by chance had conversations with them at shows or at a bar so we created our own area for the 7 of us.  It was so much fun seeing them every night and also getting to know our servers.  Like old times for sure. I know that because of how dining on Apex is arranged this will not happen again.

Please do continue with your review - enjoying it immensely.

Oh, how interesting that you also, received a nut-infused anniversary gift on the Summit. By the 3rd night, I received the warm welcome of our wait staff and I paused to see if I would be asked about my allergies and when I wasn't, I went ahead to let him/ her know so they could also point me to "safe" items on the menu. What I wish to acknowledge is Celebrity is trying in this regard or I would not have even been asked about my allergies my first night. there is just some inconsistencies, that is all. I wonder how they can encourage consistency.

Ahh...the days of sitting with a group of strangers and making new friends. 🙂That was our experience way back on our first cruise on Holland America back in the 90s. Loved Dutch night when we got hats to wear and gosh, the "parade" of the Baked Alaskas (a row of wait staff each carrying a full, round Baked Alaska marching through the MDR with a lot of hoopla from guests and fellow crew members)...I laugh out loud now remembering 🤣...it was quite fun to see such "reverence" given to the mighty Baked  Alaska. Hahaha! I remember every night there was a flaming dessert on the menu as well and it was fun to see Crepes Suzette, Cherries Jubilee, Bananas Foster, etc. being prepared tableside.

I noticed on my  Celebrity app that I can arrange to sit with other guests when I make my reservations. It's hard though to make new friends anywhere. I made small talk and eye contact with different people the first few days (especially with ladies going to the events at the Spa) but nope... nada...zilch. I had been too busy with work life to engage with our ship roll call. That's okay. I came prepared with my book and journal because I had heard of wonderful seating areas throughout the ship plus the ports kept us busy and I went to various events on my own if DH declined.

• Like 1

Alrighty then...another night, another absolutely stunning MDR to appreciate - the Normandie. So, I'm from a French city in Canada. I'm familiar with French food, cook it, go out for it, love it here and in France several times. I have to say Normandie delivered well on the taste and the ambiance. I'm not a fan of pink but the touches of soft pink (supposedly reflecting the cherry blossoms in the spring) balanced the shine of the crystal and glass. I should have expected the pink as there was a deep pink sculpture at the entrance of the restaurant as were 2 chairs which style is similar to some you will also see in the restaurant in a table setting for 10. As usual, we were among the last diners, coming in between 8:45 and 9:00 pm. That made for wonderful opportunities to photograph the restaurants without intruding on people's privacy. Gorgeous restaurant. I'm glad I have these photos.

I must have been hungry on this evening as I do not have photos of everything we tried. Oops! The butternut squash soup was smooth with bits of caramelized apples and whole walnut halves to add dimensions of texture and taste. We tried a Normandie Exclusive starter - the Baked Brie Cheese with caramelized apples with a drizzle of Port Wine Syrup. Nice but I was okay not to have seconds. The Beef Tenderloin en Croûte was fantastic! This was a piece of beef tenderloin (still a bit pink) wrapped in puff pastry sitting on a Bordelaise mushroom sauce with a splash of Roquefort fondue. The sauce, as with the two other MDRs was rich and flavourful. Perfectly cooked vegetables completed the plate, all glistening with a touch of oil. Wonderful to have a basket of assorted breads to soak up the sauce. Yum!

IMG_20230108_030130299.jpg

IMG_20230108_030209879.jpg

IMG_20230110_221245617.jpg

IMG_20230110_221532878.jpg

IMG_20230110_221543090.jpg

IMG_20230110_221608135.jpg

IMG_20230110_211245167.jpg

IMG_20230110_212239397.jpg

IMG_20230110_212954512.jpg

Edited by Dreamer68
Missed sentence
  • Like 2

So, here's the one hiccup of the meal. At dessert time. And this is possibly all me and nothing to do with any Celebrity inconsistencies. After such a rich meal, I chose to take something "light" and there was a "Strawberry Angel Food Cake served with Mango Coulis" that I thought sounded "light". If you have made angel food cake before, you will know that this is a tall, very airy and very light cake. So, I expected, for a French restaurant this calibre that this might be a strawberry infused (essence) light, tall, angel food cake with some sweet macerated chopped strawberries somewhere or fresh strawberry slices sitting atop a white plate with artistic splashes of mango coulis. What came was a far denser sandwich-style vanilla cake (more like a sponge) with some form of whipped cream mixed with tiny bits of chopped strawberry, sliced strawberry on top (bland) and a circle of mango coulis (mango taste was not distinct). The somewhat dense and dry cake was mediocre (a soft and moist sponge would have been good but still it's not an "angel food cake") as was the cream. It could have been Chantilly cream with little spots and scents of vanilla bean, but no. This is where I was reminded about my anticipation vs expectations. I think I would not have raised a single eyebrow if this offering was called a vanilla cake with strawberry cream...the "angel food cake" label just set up some expectations in my mind and well, it tripped me up. Ugh. My bad?  I guess I was just surprised as I've been to Daniel Boulud's restaurant here at home and he oversees the menu at Celebrity. Somehow, I could not see him serving this as a "Strawberry Angel Food Cake". Still, apart from the dessert, the meal at Normandie was quite good. On to the next adventure at the last MDR - Cyprus.

PS - excuse the shaky photo of the dessert menu.

IMG_20230110_214553447.jpg

IMG_20230110_220104251.jpg

• Like 2

Great food shots, thanks for posting.

Both Dreamer and Bimmer have posted photos of attractively plated apps, entrees, and desserts that they generally enjoyed in the MDR’s of Edge class ships.

Question for those who have recently sailed other classes of Celebrity ships.

Are the menu offerings on S and M class markedly different (inferior) to what has been shown on Edge class?

After so many cutback complaints about MDR menus, it’s encouraging to see these photos, as long as they are typical fleetwide.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Great food shots, thanks for posting.

Both Dreamer and Bimmer have posted photos of attractively plated apps, entrees, and desserts that they generally enjoyed in the MDR’s of Edge class ships.

Question for those who have recently sailed other classes of Celebrity ships.

Are the menu offerings on S and M class markedly different (inferior) to what has been shown on Edge class?

After so many cutback complaints about MDR menus, it’s encouraging to see these photos, as long as they are typical fleetwide.

I've seen Bimmer's name and noticed another Dreamer and will check out posts from them. Prior to getting on board, I had also read of a bunch of complaints in terms of choice. I don't know. If I went to any of the 4 MDRs, I'd have a choice of at least 9 - 10 appetizers, 9 - 10 entrées/ mains, 9-10 desserts... including 3 appetizers and 3 entrées exclusive to that particular MDR. I'm not sure how many other options people are looking for. 🤷‍♀️ If nothing is of interest, do like my DH who is the opposite of the foodie in me, he said, "Just give me a shrimp cocktail, a Caesar salad, a French onion soup, and a steak. I'll have chocolate ice cream to finish, okay?"  And that brought him to his comfort-food happy place. 🤣 I thought the food was well-plated, mostly beautiful to the eye, quality was mainly spot on with a few misses (easily fixed, I think), and service was gentle.

I'd be interested to hear other perspectives on the S and M-class MDRs. I'm researching the Connie now for a Mediterranean itinerary and Connie's fans are happy. 🙂

We come to Cyprus, the 4th of Apex's MDRs. The decor was more understated than the other 3, less bling but just as stylish, I thought. Surprisingly, we ended up coming here 3 nights out of our 7-nt cruise, cancelling out a 2nd try at Normandie. The last photo in this section is the sitting area at the entrance where the host receives you. It gave a more casual feel to the restaurant although I would not have felt comfortable to sit with my feet up, there at the entrance of the restaurant, waiting for my table, how about you? In my stateroom, watching TV, yes. 🙃

IMG_20230111_212401154.jpg

IMG_20230111_212417638.jpg

IMG_20230111_212500614.jpg

IMG_20230113_203918471.jpg

• Like 2

Due to dining times available and how the rotating schedules of the Celebrity Signature dishes (rotates through all 4 restaurants on different days) plus the Cyprus Exclusive menu items, we ended up here three times. We were finally seated in one area twice and the waiter recognized us and we were able to have good conversation (he seemed a lot friendlier than the first time we met...connection takes time, eh? 😉) The bread basket here seemed to always include pita and one of the dips seem to always be tzatziki which is fine by me. ❤️ This is where I had the much-discussed lobster. And yes, first lobster is complimentary, any additional ones are USD$16.99 each. Gone are the days of having multiple lobster tails included in your cruise price on the last fancy schmancy night at sea. The lobster was excellent, loved how they plated it so you could easily lift the lobster flesh right out of the tail. The rice pilaf was very flavourful. This one seemed to have a coconut-ty taste to it, almost as if someone cooked it in coconut milk but nah, right? There is no coconut milk in Greek rice pilaf. Nope. 🙃

I got to try the Sea Bass Ceviche (so good I had it twice), the Hot Melted Cheese Saganaki, the Lamb Shank Tagine, and the Greek-style Grilled Sea Bass (so very good!) and DH tried some Celebrity Classics here (like the NY Strip Steak and the Shrimp Cocktail) as well as the Exclusive Lemon Dill Chicken Souvlaki. There was one miss (an aesthetic one so no biggie for most people but it's attention to detail to me for a premium place)  and I won't mention it but you might see it in the photo. The last couple of photos in this section for Cyprus are of the tables beside us, readied by the wait staff for the next day. They were all quietly working hard even as we ate and lingered over dinner.

All in all, I felt well taken care off in the 4 MDRs of the Apex. The service was good, the options were plenty (for me), the meals well-cooked and presented, the servings decent and apart from the small details I mentioned that were a "miss" for me (important in my eyes for sit down meals (vs buffets) for a cruise line that's considered "premium"), I really enjoyed going "out on the town" in all 4 MDRs at sea. The only specialty dining I went to was Raw on 5. I can post about that next and some excursion experiences.

Hope y'all enjoyed the MDR visit through my eyes and my palate preferences. Sorry if I came off as a bit of a food snob. I've got the  likes of Daniel Boulud, Marcus Samuelsson, Chuck Hughes and others in my home city. My standards for the MDR and any specialty dining are therefore higher than for OVC meals. 😉

IMG_20230111_203420722.jpg

IMG_20230111_204331537.jpg

IMG_20230111_204349561.jpg

IMG_20230111_205415091.jpg

IMG_20230111_210428065.jpg

IMG_20230112_205317637.jpg

IMG_20230112_205325221.jpg

IMG_20230112_205343925.jpg

IMG_20230112_212021644.jpg

IMG_20230112_212230182.jpg

IMG_20230112_214907554.jpg

IMG_20230113_204738036.jpg

IMG_20230113_204845629.jpg

IMG_20230113_205526588.jpg

IMG_20230113_210305367.jpg

IMG_20230113_211041659.jpg

IMG_20230113_211053953.jpg

IMG_20230113_214718591.jpg

IMG_20230113_214733569.jpg

IMG_20230111_211720976.jpg

IMG_20230111_213331468.jpg

IMG_20230113_213854608.jpg

IMG_20230113_215516110.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Except for some different artwork on display, I didn’t realize how close a design the Apex is to sister ship Edge (who’ve we’ve sailed on twice now… and loved it).

Oohhh.. I hope to do a Transpacific on the Edge in 2026. Talk about having the time to enjoy all the ship has to offer, eh? Lots of sea days in that itinerary! The only other Celebrity ship I've been on is the Summit and I loved it too. But these Edge-class ships are quite stunning... and going to 4 MDRs instead of 1? I know it's psychological, technically, the menu is the one (exception of the exlusive items) ...but they got me at their offer of 4 MDRs. 🙂 Do share what you loved about the Edge. 🙂

I'm really enjoying your "food porn" pics,( being from the same city as you, so also a food snob).  Glad to see they put back some of the menu that was supposedly taken away with the cutbacks.  I hope they don't change it back before I sail on the Apex in November.  LOL, I already know what I will be ordering in each MDR.

• Haha 1

Thanks for your review and pics.  We will be doing this itinerary on the Apex in Jan. 24.  We booked an IV.  First time on the Apex and the IV.   Last Celebrity cruise was Equinox, Oct 2016.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 9:10 PM, Dreamer68 said:

Ooh, the Apex twice in one year! How lucky!! What were your favourite memories onboard? I am fascinated with how diverse yet alike people are. ❤️

I’m finally taking a break from my cruise packing to both catch up on your review and answer your question. Having previously sailed twice on Edge, I found Apex both comfortably familiar yet unique. The uniqueness is largely due the original art throughout the ships. I was fascinated with the art on Edge, and was fortunate to have 15 days to explore it on her first TA. We were on a 14 night b2b on Apex, so we had plenty of time to roam the ship to experience the art collection. On both Edge and Apex, I love the organic elements in the design of the public areas including Eden, the atrium, the Rooftop Garden and the pool area. To me, it evokes Gaudi meets Whoville in a whimsical mixture of nature and imagination. 

We enjoyed the four MDRs, and we had a wonderful meal at the Eden restaurant. Like you, we didn’t really get to know the wait staff in the MDRs because we dined in all four. We had most of our breakfasts at the Captain’s Club coffee hour (hosted at Le Grand Bistro). The staff made breakfast a delightful experience. Full disclosure - we may have had a wee second breakfast of crisp bacon & fruit (me) and bacon & waffles (DH) in the OVC on occasion😜 Café al Bacio is one of our regular haunts. DH is more fond of desserts than I am, but I can’t resist the little coconut macaroons at Café al Bacio. 

Some of our favorite memories on Apex were of time spent with friends on the first leg of our b2b, and the congenial new people (including staff & crew) we connected with during both cruises. We found ourselves at the Eden bar for happy hour most evenings, partly because the staff was so much fun. 

I have seen some discussion about cabin types in earlier posts. We have always booked verandas or Sky Suites. We had a Sunset Veranda for our b2b on Apex, and we loved it. We’ll be in Sky Suites for our upcoming b2b. It will be interesting to compare our experiences in the two cabin types. We were in an Infinite Veranda on our TA on Edge. It had pros and cons, but overall we enjoyed it well enough to book one again (in fact we have one booked for next year). We have toured one of the OV cabins located all the way forward, and we thought it was lovely. Is this the cabin you were considering?

Well, I’d better get back to reducing the massive pile of cruise clothes on our bed so we can go to sleep🤣 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I’m finally taking a break from my cruise packing to both catch up on your review and answer your question. Having previously sailed twice on Edge, I found Apex both comfortably familiar yet unique. The uniqueness is largely due the original art throughout the ships. I was fascinated with the art on Edge, and was fortunate to have 15 days to explore it on her first TA. We were on a 14 night b2b on Apex, so we had plenty of time to roam the ship to experience the art collection. On both Edge and Apex, I love the organic elements in the design of the public areas including Eden, the atrium, the Rooftop Garden and the pool area. To me, it evokes Gaudi meets Whoville in a whimsical mixture of nature and imagination. 

We enjoyed the four MDRs, and we had a wonderful meal at the Eden restaurant. Like you, we didn’t really get to know the wait staff in the MDRs because we dined in all four. We had most of our breakfasts at the Captain’s Club coffee hour (hosted at Le Grand Bistro). The staff made breakfast a delightful experience. Full disclosure - we may have had a wee second breakfast of crisp bacon & fruit (me) and bacon & waffles (DH) in the OVC on occasion😜 Café al Bacio is one of our regular haunts. DH is more fond of desserts than I am, but I can’t resist the little coconut macaroons at Café al Bacio. 

Some of our favorite memories on Apex were of time spent with friends on the first leg of our b2b, and the congenial new people (including staff & crew) we connected with during both cruises. We found ourselves at the Eden bar for happy hour most evenings, partly because the staff was so much fun. 

I have seen some discussion about cabin types in earlier posts. We have always booked verandas or Sky Suites. We had a Sunset Veranda for our b2b on Apex, and we loved it. We’ll be in Sky Suites for our upcoming b2b. It will be interesting to compare our experiences in the two cabin types. We were in an Infinite Veranda on our TA on Edge. It had pros and cons, but overall we enjoyed it well enough to book one again (in fact we have one booked for next year). We have toured one of the OV cabins located all the way forward, and we thought it was lovely. Is this the cabin you were considering?

Well, I’d better get back to reducing the massive pile of cruise clothes on our bed so we can go to sleep🤣 

Thanks a million for taking the time to share your thoughts! Yep, the OV cabin all the way forward. That's what I'm thinking to book. There are only 6-8 and only one is left for the cruise my group is looking at but uncertain about. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Some day, we might splurge a n a Sunset Verenda and who knows, a Suite. 🙏

Wishing you much oomph with the packing, uneventful flights or trip to your outbound port and a terrific cruise plus a safe return. 🤗

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Thanks for your review and pics.  We will be doing this itinerary on the Apex in Jan. 24.  We booked an IV.  First time on the Apex and the IV.   Last Celebrity cruise was Equinox, Oct 2016.

Wonderful! I see you've been on 8 Celebrity cruises. What's been your favourite thus far? So, the Apex will be your first Edge-class ship. I trust you'll have a lovely time.

3 hours ago, nikel said:

I'm really enjoying your "food porn" pics,( being from the same city as you, so also a food snob).  Glad to see they put back some of the menu that was supposedly taken away with the cutbacks.  I hope they don't change it back before I sail on the Apex in November.  LOL, I already know what I will be ordering in each MDR.

Ahhhh...so you understand...🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤗🤣 I've been to Maison Boulud. There's such intentional attention to detail of presentation and taste there that at the MDR, I couldn't help feeling "Wait, what?!", y'know? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Especially with that anniversary cake. It was not busy in the restaurant and nobody thought to switch out the treat for another pretty one that was without hazelnuts after knowing my allergy to them? I also wonder if perhaps a bit of investment in garnishes like fresh herbs (chopped or whole), microgreens, and edible flowers like nasturtium or violas for plating purposes might bring the MDR experience to another level. Or taking a second look at some colours that are being plated. There was a Classic entrée that came looking dull and tired.  I always say I eat with my eyes first and pops of colour, well used, can elevate any dining experience, IMO. 

Enjoy your Transatlantic on the Apex, I envy your many Sea Days opportunity to enjoy the ship. 🤗 BTW, although I researched MDR meals before my cruise, I found the app was helpful reference with all the daily menus for all dining venues. Wish I had downloaded it earlier!

Edited by Dreamer68
Grammar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Thanks a million for taking the time to share your thoughts! Yep, the OV cabin all the way forward. That's what I'm thinking to book. There are only 6-8 and only one is left for the cruise my group is looking at but uncertain about. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Some day, we might splurge a n a Sunset Verenda and who knows, a Suite. 🙏

Wishing you much oomph with the packing, uneventful flights or trip to your outbound port and a terrific cruise plus a safe return. 🤗

Thanks! Flying into Schiphol, we need all the positive energy we can get! We booked our SVs and SS very early for lower fares (and we booked onboard for a bit more OBC). We are considering an OV for very hot or very cold itineraries. I’m attaching three photos of a Deluxe Ocean View cabin (cabin #9100) I toured on Edge. The occupants said they loved their cabin.

IMG_0497.jpeg.93cdfd97f845e6e8f01f1e61de8aa116.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg.539393fa15ac52c3c0b4bff1a9a2f329.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg.fd01ecd0e5e08dd8dcdb5a2936ef7e7e.jpeg

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Wonderful! I see you've been on 8 Celebrity cruises. What's been your favourite thus far? So, the Apex will be your first Edge-class ship. I trust you'll have a lovely time.

My favorite was Galapagos on the Xpedition. 

• Thanks 1