CocoCay Day

42 minutes ago, pudy68 said:

Wait...sharks?  *unpacks snorkeling stuff*

We see sharks there pretty much every time we go.  They are lemon sharks, also known as nurse sharks.  They are small and have never come near me but I do go the other way when I see them.  They are typically in the area of South Beach and off of the over water cabanas.

We have also seen very large stingrays.  They like to sun near the edge of the water and bury themselves in the sand just a bit, so you can only see their outline.  In May when we were at Coco Cay, we were out in the water by the floating bar at South Beach and saw four stingray.  There is a sandbar out there that barely has water over it when the tide is low and they were cruising only that.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, pudy68 said:

Hello, and TIA for your suggestions:

We've never been here before and are unsure of how to make the best of the time when we arrive in a few weeks.  When we get off the ship, which areas do you recommend we head to?  We would like 4 lounges, a snorkeling area (we bring our own equipment), access to a nearby pool, and of course, the included food.  We are 4 adults that do not drink alcohol, so bar locations are not a factor. I appreciate all of your varied opinions.  😉 🏖️

We always go to Chill Beach. Lots of loungers and umbrellas. Close to the buffet. Not far from the pool. Close to bars. We have been to CocoCay 5 times post-pandemic. Just a relaxing beach day. 

• Like 1

I highly recommend the Beach club if it is available.  The location is great- mostly adults only.  It is like being at a suite deck- complete with a gourmet restaurant, wonderful comfortable lounges, dinner/lunch served- pampering staff-   IMO the best beach day excursion of the cruise and worth the price.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 4:41 PM, pudy68 said:

Wait...sharks?  *unpacks snorkeling stuff*

So… I have an irrational fear of sharks (so much so that I have a hard time with deep water in MINNESOTA lakes!!!! Lol), but I felt ok snorkeling there 🙂. Trust me, these are nice friendly sharks (or at least, that’s what I tell myself ;))

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2023 at 7:31 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

We have taken inflatable pool noodles.    They work great too!

There is also an area called Harbor Beach that has a lagoon.    Great area to float around and relax after snorkeling at Chill Island.     

Here is a map you will find helpful.   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/perfect-day-at-cococay-wayfinding-map.pdf

If you like funnel cake then you want to make sure to visit one of the snack shacks on the island. 

Enjoy!! 

Will the ship provide maps?

3 minutes ago, moposh said:

Will the ship provide maps?

There's a map in the app and here's one...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/perfect-day-at-cococay-map.pdf

There may be paper maps at guest services on the ship and/or they may have them when you get off but really not sure since we don't need one and Royal has been cutting down on paper (you can decide if it's to save money, to save the environment, or both).

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

There's a map in the app and here's one...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/perfect-day-at-cococay-map.pdf

There may be paper maps at guest services on the ship and/or they may have them when you get off but really not sure since we don't need one and Royal has been cutting down on paper (you can decide if it's to save money, to save the environment, or both).

I was wondering if there would be a map in the app.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, pudy68 said:

Hello, and TIA for your suggestions:

We've never been here before and are unsure of how to make the best of the time when we arrive in a few weeks.  When we get off the ship, which areas do you recommend we head to?  We would like 4 lounges, a snorkeling area (we bring our own equipment), access to a nearby pool, and of course, the included food.  We are 4 adults that do not drink alcohol, so bar locations are not a factor. I appreciate all of your varied opinions.  😉 🏖️

We go to CocoCay all the time.  We grab loungers/umbrella on Chill Island Beach right below the snorkel shack.  Best snorkeling is the the left when you are looking out at the water.  Snorkel along the rocks there and then go across to where the swim platforms are and there is a red buoy in the water and that is where the shipwreck is.  Super close to the island vendors, the bathrooms, Chill Grill and Wacky Seagull bar if you want anything to drink.  We always sit there.  

• Like 5