Mexico vs. Caribbean

latebuyer

I’m debating between mexico vs. The caribbean. With mexico its a nicer ship (ncl bliss) and 4 ports which i like. As i’m from vancouver the airfare is cheaper. But the caribbean has a strong pull. Do people like the mexican cruise when they go on it or do they prefer the caribbean? I would go to puerta vallarta, cabo san lucas, mazatlan and ensenada. Just to add i’ve only been to caribbean side-cozumel, cancun and playa del carmen.

Edited by latebuyer

I personally prefer the Caribbean but I almost always choose Mex Riv due to $$ and logistics.  I drive to San Pedro port instead of fly to Florida or wherever.  So the cost is much lower, I don’t have to deal with the TSA, I don’t go the day before, …

• Like 3

Mike45LC, you are one lucky person.  It would be great to live close to a port (not great enough for us to move to another state!).  We are going to do our second time driving to a port (out of 14 cruises).  Las Vegas to Long Beach in September.  latebuyer, we have done both, Mexican Rivera and cruises to the Caribbean.  If you have never cruised the Mexican Rivera, you really should.  It is amazing in a whole different way.  Nicer ship, cheaper airfare, sounds like a win to me. 

to LasVegasCruiser:  the drive from Vegas isn't too bad.  Leave Vegas at 6:00 a.m. and you will be parked in either San Pedro or Long Beach and ready to board by 11:30.  [Unless you need to visit CVS to pick up essentials, as my wife tends to do!]  No problem.  [But parking is $20 per day.  Ouch!]

• Like 2

The rivera was okay but would not do it more than once.  The beaches were awful, we lost 2 pool days in June due to chilly weather by LA, and the excursion options were pretty limited.  Glad we went and they did have some different things to see, though will be sticking to the caribbean for future trips when going south....

Oh jmac99, say it isn't so!  Only once for the MX Rivera?  I've done the 7day cruise 4 times and going on my 5th this December.  Each trip we do something different in port and each trip has been on different ships.  We live in Las Vegas so it is a little easier to do the Rivera then to fly east.  I hope latebuyer gives it a try and reports back.

• 2 weeks later...

Water is much prettier in the Caribbean.  But for us on the west coast the cost is a factor.  We do the Mexican Rivera but seldom get off the ship.  We have done the Caribbean a few times and never gotten of the ship either except at a private island.  You can only buy so many cigars, gold, rum, and diamonds.  

On 8/6/2023 at 2:07 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone. Still deciding. Just curious if mexico is not as hot as the caribbean? That would be good.

It is as hot if you go in the summer or early fall...we usually go in Jan-May and its usually perfect..not too hot, not too humid 

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone. Still deciding. Just curious if mexico is not as hot as the caribbean? That would be good.

Mexico won’t be as humid as the Caribbean. I live going to both. I live 45 minutes from the port for Mexico so that’s a draw. I also loooove Mexican food. Both have great things to offer, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 11:19 PM, lasvegascruising said:

Mexico is HOT.  Even in the winter.  I have never cruised to Mexico or the Caribbean in what I would call "summer", June, July or August.  I think I would pass out from the heat & humidity and I live in Las Vegas.  

That is not quite true as it depends where in Mexico.  For example, we live in Puerto Vallarta (during the winter months) and the normal temperature from Jan - Mar is 78-85 during the day.  During those months, rain is very rare and it is not unusual to go from Dec - March with only a couple of rainy days.

Hank

All I can report on is my experience.  I have cruised the Mexican Rivera several times in December and January.  It is HOT for me.  On a clear day the sun is brutal.  I would suggest to anyone who takes a cruise to PV, Mazatlan & Cabo in those months, pack shorts and sandals, just in case.  I am headed down there December 2023 from Long Beach, CA on the Panorama and I am packing warm clothes for the first and last day, packing summer clothes for the days in between.  So excited!!

As a side note, the very first cruise I took was a Mexican Rivera cruise from Long Beach in December 2009.  I packed one pair of shorts and had to wear them more than once because it was so hot.  We got off the ship in Cabo, walked around, looked at hubby and we decided back to the ship and into the pool to cool off.

Thanks everyone. Glad to see this thread still active. I'm still deciding! I have signed up for a mexican cruise but still drawn to the caribbean cruises. However which ports to choose is confusing with the caribbean. The one i see for a good price goes to grand turk, san juan and amber cove.

5 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I have signed up for a mexican cruise but still drawn to the caribbean cruises

My only attraction to the cruises from LA is the price and ease of access from where I live.  I personally prefer the Caribbean over the classic Mexican west coast cruise to Cabo, PV and Mazatlan.   

• Like 1

I second SelectSys post.  This is the same way I feel.  I will never forget the first time I went to Cozumel.  Went out on the balcony and said to my husband "you have to get out here and look at this water".  The color is so beautiful.  We still cruise from Long Beach due to price and the ease of getting there from Las Vegas.

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing on the west coast that can compare to the color of the water in the Caribbean.  Even Hawaii water isn't as pretty.  The big advantage to Caribbean cruises is the huge number of port choices.  Mexican Rivera is about the same port stops.  Sometimes you can find a Loreto stop, which is a change.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are veteran cruisers with 95% of our cruises in the Caribbean, we have a trip planned in February and would love to hear how the seas are... I know the waves in general are much larger in the Pacific vs the Atlantic/Gulf Of Mexico. 

On 7/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, jmac99 said:

The rivera was okay but would not do it more than once. 

We've done the Mexican Riviera more times than I can count, partially because we can drive to Long Beach, San Pedro and San Diego. There are good beaches in most of the areas, but I don't cruise to go to the beach. I don't even cruise for the ports any more since there is almost no place I haven't cruised to. We cruise for the ships now. We did the Bliss in Oct & Nov of 2022 and loved it, despite my misgivings about such a huge ship. We are going again on the Bliss in about two weeks.

Bliss sails Alaska in Summer, when it is at its hottest and most humid in Mexico. We loved the weather in the Fall in Mexico.

Thanks. It looks like i will go to Mexico. Its partially as my Dad's heart condition is unstable and being from Vancouver i am closer to the mexican airports than in the caribbean to get back. I thought some of the excursions sounds fun and its a plus to get the cheaper airfare when i will probably get a refundable fare.

On 11/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks. It looks like i will go to Mexico. Its partially as my Dad's heart condition is unstable and being from Vancouver i am closer to the mexican airports than in the caribbean to get back. I thought some of the excursions sounds fun and its a plus to get the cheaper airfare when i will probably get a refundable fare.

I live on Vancouver Island and have traveled twice on the Mexican Riviera and twice to the Caribbean.  One of our Mexico cruises was with my father(83), and two of our Caribbean cruises he came along as well.  I LOVE the Caribbean, but the trip to Florida is hell.  Our last trip was so long with a couple of transfers, and the last flight leg was delayed. We left early in the morning, but did not make it to Fort Lauderdale until after midnight.  My dad really does not want to travel for that long again.

Leanne