HYATT Times Square

layteacher

Have booked Hyatt Times Square for our September cruise. Anyone stayed there? We have a full day before our cruise. Looking at possibly the 911 museum. How close it to the hotel or is there a quick way to get to the museum? My husbands first time in NY city. Any suggestions for dinner close by? 

TIA

8 hours ago, layteacher said:

Anyone stayed there?

Haven't personally stayed there but its a newer hotel and Hyatt Centrics are solid business class options. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Times Square but this hotel is located in a decent spot-- you can walk out your door and make a left and you are headed towards Bryant Park, New York Public Library etc so you can avoid Times Square if you want to. 

Looking at possibly the 911 museum. How close it to the hotel or is there a quick way to get to the museum?

They are located nowhere near each other. Your hotel is in Times Square and the 9/11 Museum is in lower Manhattan. About a 20-25 minute taxi/Uber ride from where you are. You can also take the subway down there. 

Any suggestions for dinner close by? 

Hard to say without some additional info from you in terms of cuisine, budget, etc. Plenty of great restaurants nearby and a bunch of very mediocre ones (by NYC standards) in and around Times Square. 

• Like 1

The 9/11 memorial is in the “financial district” of Manhattan if you are using a search. Since the pandemic rooms are less expensive down there. You can walk to 9/11 memorial, World Trade Center, and Statue Viewing points from there. Also Stone Street with moderately priced eateries. It’s an easy ride up to the pier with taxi or Uber. 

Hyatt is always a solid brand. If you’re using points or happy with the price keep it. Give us the exact date and we can give you other ideas. 

Edited by Got2Cruise
  • Like 2

When I had training in the financial district, I ended up staing near Times Square, as I found there more activities after class. I would take either the 2/3 Express subway to Chambers ST, then hop on the local (#1). In your case, you would get off at WTC-Cortland. Total time should be 20 minutes +/-

Aloha,

John

• Like 1

21 hours ago, layteacher said:

Have booked Hyatt Times Square for our September cruise. Anyone stayed there? We have a full day before our cruise. Looking at possibly the 911 museum. How close it to the hotel or is there a quick way to get to the museum? My husbands first time in NY city. Any suggestions for dinner close by? 

TIA

I would Uber or Lyft from Times Square to lower manhattan, you can reserve tickets for museum also for additional cost take the elevator to top fantastic view of the city . My favorite restaurant in the area is Becco’s very nice and reasonable Italian restaurant can get a bottle of wine with dinner for two for a little over a hundred , we go there at least twice every visit , there special is always 3 different pastas with unlimited refills and a salad. Restaurant is on 46st between 8th and 9th which is restaurant row. Might consider seeing trinity church which is a few blocks from 9/11 memorial and has Alexander Hamilton grave. 

• Like 3

The subway is your best bet to get between the two. Also, not too far from the financial district is South Street Seaport as well as a couple of historic pubs like The Dead Rabbit and Fraunce's Tavern, which are good options for food and drink. 

If you are looking for food in the times square area, there are lots of places on the main roads (Broadway, 7th Ave, 42nd St), but prices may be more than expected. A friend who used to run various informal gatherings taught me to go a block or two off the main part of Times Square for interesting restaurants at better prices. 

16 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

If you are looking for food in the times square area, there are lots of places on the main roads (Broadway, 7th Ave, 42nd St), but prices may be more than expected. A friend who used to run various informal gatherings taught me to go a block or two off the main part of Times Square for interesting restaurants at better prices. 

You mean Hell's Kitchen (no not Gordon Ramsy).  The neighborhood also known as Clinton, is bordered by 34th St. (or 41st Street) to the south, 59th St. to the north, 8th Ave to the east, and the Hudson River to the west. A lot of theater patrons eat here before shows.

Anything in Times Square proper is more oriented toward tourists. 

Don't know what type of restaurant you're looking for but they have it all in the neighborhood, French, Tai, American, Korean, Italian etc. Just search the web for ideas. 

On 7/24/2023 at 7:32 PM, George C said:

I would Uber or Lyft from Times Square to lower manhattan, you can reserve tickets for museum also for additional cost take the elevator to top fantastic view of the city . My favorite restaurant in the area is Becco’s very nice and reasonable Italian restaurant can get a bottle of wine with dinner for two for a little over a hundred , we go there at least twice every visit , there special is always 3 different pastas with unlimited refills and a salad. Restaurant is on 46st between 8th and 9th which is restaurant row. Might consider seeing trinity church which is a few blocks from 9/11 memorial and has Alexander Hamilton grave. 

We just spent two nights in the area post cruise (stayed at the Westin Times Square) and the bellman recommended Becco. We really enjoyed it - very reasonable pricing and all wines on the menu were $35. We'd go back and agree with the recommendation. (They do take reservations on OpenTable.)

• Like 1