New Mamsen's Menu

Clay Clayton

28 minutes ago, cruisinchrissy said:

I don’t remember Mamsens being open at midnight on any of our cruises. Maybe it’s because we’re in bed by then 🤣

10PM to midnight on our recent cruise.

It didn’t get much play and it didn’t look very appetizing.

Should be a short experiment.

12 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Not sure it will be a "short experiment" as the pea soup has been on the menu in the late evenings for as long as I remember.  It is delicious and wish that I was able to stay awake more often to enjoy it!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruisinchrissy said:

I don’t remember Mamsens being open at midnight on any of our cruises. Maybe it’s because we’re in bed by then 🤣

I stayed up one night to try the soup.  It was a Midnight Sun cruise with sea days to sleep in so easy.  

• Like 2

Love the menu at Mamsen,🥰 except for the pea soup. But my sister had it a couple of nights for a late snack. Ate there for breakfast , lunch an late night snack  on our last cruise.

Love the herring !

5 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

It's been a long one. We had pea soup on our first Viking cruise in 2018 and methinks it has been SOP since they started. 

But I don't think it was "always available" for lunch like it is now....but maybe I just missed it.

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

Love the menu at Mamsen,🥰 except for the pea soup. But my sister had it a couple of nights for a late snack. Ate there for breakfast , lunch an late night snack  on our last cruise.

Love the herring !

I don't do herring but friends who have joined us on this cruise have been disappointed. They say the non tomato herring are very sweet.  Is that typical?

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

It's been a long one. We had pea soup on our first Viking cruise in 2018 and methinks it has been SOP since they started. 

But I don't think it was "always available" for lunch like it is now....but maybe I just missed it.

Guess I haven’t been able to stay up long enough to enjoy in the past!!
Thanks for the clarification.

Pea soup at 10PM??? 😖

I always remember pea soup in the late evening too.  Always wished I had found it at lunch one day but most lunches find us at the Pool Grill enjoying seared salmon and an onion ring!

Our next ocean cruise will be very Port Intensive and I am sad we will not have care free sea days to enjoy the ship!  I bet we will never have breakfast in the dining room which I always enjoy! 

Edited by deec

1 hour ago, deec said:

I always remember pea soup in the late evening too.  Always wished I had found it at lunch one day but most lunches find us at the Pool Grill enjoying seared salmon and an onion ring!

Salmon?  I am gonna have to check, I only remember seared tuna ...but since I don't eat salmon maybe I just block it out from view and memory😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don't do herring but friends who have joined us on this cruise have been disappointed. They say the non tomato herring are very sweet.  Is that typical?

Herring pickled or in wine sauce or mustard sauce is both sweet and sour. I loved all three. I had it for breakfast alone with the waffle.

I have never heard of tomato herring? 

4 hours ago, mwike said:

I always want split pea soup when I have the munchies.

Good luck with that. We just got off Venus and getting split pea was not easy. They were always out of it and tried to interest me in the first soup. I finally got it once. You really had to time it right. 

5 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Raisin buns! So hard to find these. DH is always on the lookout. If you try them, please let us know what you think!

Had them on my last cruise.  Looked lovely but were very cold and tasted stale.  My husbands almond pastry also was stale.  Maybe warming them would have helped.  Definitely not fresh.  Disappointed as they looked so good.

10 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I stayed up one night to try the soup.  It was a Midnight Sun cruise with sea days to sleep in so easy.  

Lorna - it was open 10-midnight our whole Iceland trip.  Of course it was light all the time!  Had the split pea soup for the first time.  It was great!

Note - they had split pea soup at lunchtime as well one or two times.  (Maybe it wasn't popular?)  No timing needed!  Always available at night!  Again, might depend on the itinerary.  Perhaps we just didn't have people staying up (we had an older crowd on our cruise - maybe 80 median age).

Edited by CCWineLover

1 hour ago, harbourside said:

Had them on my last cruise.  Looked lovely but were very cold and tasted stale.  My husbands almond pastry also was stale.  Maybe warming them would have helped.  Definitely not fresh.  Disappointed as they looked so good.

Our ALmond pastry was very fresh and quite good!  Might depend on the itinerary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

They say the non tomato herring are very sweet.  Is that typical?

In my experience it is often sweet.  Occasionally a non- sauced one is a touch spicy.  I think it is so much like many things, people have their favorite.  Probably based on how their Grandparents liked it.  I have also seen it made with mustard bases sauce

• Like 1