New Mamsen's Menu

Clay Clayton

12 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Lorna - it was open 10-midnight our whole Iceland trip.  Of course it was light all the time!  Had the split pea soup for the first time.  It was great!

Note - they had split pea soup at lunchtime as well one or two times.  (Maybe it wasn't popular?)  No timing needed!  Always available at night!  Again, might depend on the itinerary.  Perhaps we just didn't have people staying up (we had an older crowd on our cruise - maybe 80 median age).

I think Mamsens has been open 10 to midnight on all our cruises.  Late and snacks are not our thing.  I love their soups at lunch and often go there to avoid WC crowds.

3 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

My favorite Mamsen's treat is the brown bread. A wonderful dark rye.  Great on its own.

Yes, that is great bread. Ate it also in Stockholm and Copenhagen  before and after our Scenic Scandinavian Cruise.

My uncle was a Danish baker in MN and Eugene, Oregon. He made that kind of dense dark bread. He called it pumpernickel. Best bread for open face sandwiches.  Cannot find in my  city 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:38 AM, Clay Clayton said:

I don't do herring but friends who have joined us on this cruise have been disappointed. They say the non tomato herring are very sweet.  Is that typical?

No, none are exactly suite. I guess maybe the wine one. Frustrating, when we’re so happy to see it, but then disappointed with the taste.

I like it topped with sour cream.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:43 AM, Azulann said:

Herring pickled or in wine sauce or mustard sauce is both sweet and sour. I loved all three. I had it for breakfast alone with the waffle.

I have never heard of tomato herring? 

Herring in tomato sauce.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:42 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Salmon?  I am gonna have to check, I only remember seared tuna ...but since I don't eat salmon maybe I just block it out from view and memory😂

I would never choose salmon, but on Jupiter we had wonderful ahi tuna. I call it char-grilled. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, May B said:

No, none are exactly suite. I guess maybe the wine one. Frustrating, when we’re so happy to see it, but then disappointed with the taste.

Oops! Sweet became suite. Evidently I’m too late to edit.

7 hours ago, Azulann said:

Yes, that is great bread. Ate it also in Stockholm and Copenhagen  before and after our Scenic Scandinavian Cruise.

My uncle was a Danish baker in MN and Eugene, Oregon. He made that kind of dense dark bread. He called it pumpernickel. Best bread for open face sandwiches.  Cannot find in my  city 

Assuming there are Jewish delis in St. Paul, suggest looking there as pumpernickel rye is usually a staple.

38 minutes ago, zelker said:

Assuming there are Jewish delis in St. Paul, suggest looking there as pumpernickel rye is usually a staple.

We do have a great Jewish deli in my  neighborhood.  Their pumpernickel rye is good but not as  dense as Mamsen's  or the bread I ate in Copenhagen.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Azulann said:

We do have a great Jewish deli in my  neighborhood.  Their pumpernickel rye is good but not as  dense as Mamsen's  or the bread I ate in Copenhagen.  

I love pumpernickel and a good loaf is hard to find. IMO no bread in America is as good as any you’ll find in Europe. The pumpernickel you find in a market (Pepperidge Farms, Oroweat) are the Wonder Bread of ryes. 

If you have a German butcher shop or bakery in your area, try there.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Azulann said:

If Cecil's doesn't do it there's no hope for you 😊.

• Haha 1

Many bread folks will argue over the quality and taste of Baltic rye grains versus rye grains grown in the United States and Canada. Many US bakers will add higher protein white flour to dark rye flour (milled, with the bran remaining) to get a loftier bread than one created from rye alone.  Mamsen's bread is much more in the European style.

I'd agree with the suggestion to check local Jewish or German butchers / delicatessens,and any Russian, Polish etc food suppliers.  Great River Organic Milling in Wisconsin is a good flour source for bakers who want to make their own dark breads.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

If Cecil's doesn't do it there's no hope for you 😊.

Yes it is Cecil’s and their bread is good but not the texture of Danish bakers  or Mamsen rye bread for smorgasbord open face sandwiches 😋

15 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Many bread folks will argue over the quality and taste of Baltic rye grains versus rye grains grown in the United States and Canada. Many US bakers will add higher protein white flour to dark rye flour (milled, with the bran remaining) to get a loftier bread than one created from rye alone.  Mamsen's bread is much more in the European style.

Thank your for the explanation . Definitely like the European style. 😍

18 hours ago, Azulann said:

Thay may have to do with the source of the flour and mass vs local bakery.  Many European flour perform differently 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Thay may have to do with the source of the flour and mass vs local bakery.  Many European flour perform differently 

Also if any recipe contains butter, European style butter has a higher fat content, richer taste, and deeper color.

• Like 5

On 7/27/2023 at 12:06 PM, May B said:

The Norwegians sure love their sour cream.  Always available at Mamsen's, for waffles.

• Like 1

Thanks -- fun to see the new menu!  We board the Sky October 6 for 3 weeks -- longest cruise yet, so maybe more time to try different places. 

When we lived in Stockholm, Sweden for a magical 5 mos. we learned that Thursdays are traditionally split pea soup and pancakes days (later confirmed by one of Astrid Lindgren's books about village children). The US Embassy cafeteria had a great chef and families were allowed to join the employee at lunch anytime so my 3 year old and I made Thursdays our day.  The soup was made with yellow split peas, not green and the pancakes were served with lingonberries and whipped cream.  Definitely low calorie!  

• Like 2