Do I need a puffer/down jacket?

MarEll1

We are taking our first Alaska cruise in mid-August. I know we need layers. We have rain jackets and plenty of fleeces for layering. Plus base layers and hats/gloves. I’m wondering if that is sufficient or we need puffer jackets too? We are doing a number of outdoor excursions like whale watching plus spending a few days on our own near Denali. We’d need to purchase puffer jackets as we don’t need them where we live.

Edited by MarEll1

1 minute ago, MarEll1 said:

We are taking our first Alaska cruise in mid-August. I know we need layers. We have rain jackets and plenty of fleeces for layering. Plus base layers and hats/gloves. I’m wondering if that is sufficient or we need puffer jackets too? We are doing a number of outdoor excursions like whale watching plus spending a few days on our own near Denali. We’d need to purchase puffer jackets as we don’t need them where we live.

You don't need any more jackets; you're likely already planning to take along more than you'll need.

• Like 5

You don't need anything bulky.  I have occasionally taken a lightweight, packable down jacket if the forecast is for very cool weather, but usually I just take layers.  You don't want to take anything that will take up a lot of space in your luggage.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also don't think that you need any additional jackets.  Your description sounds sufficient.

Thank you - I’ve gotten caught up in the “what to pack for Alaska” articles and it’s a bit overwhelming!

• Like 2

In my opinion no, we were there week of July 9th - most I wore was a fleece and rain jacket on the approach to the Hubbard Glacier. If anything I wore my light rain jacket but generally was in short sleeves

also, we did not buy hiking shoes/boots.

• Like 1

We pack in carry-on luggage :  these packing lists are so lengthy and we have not found a need for most of the things.  I start watching the 14 day forecast two weeks before we go to decide final clothes list.  For Alaska, Iceland, Norway we used the same list.  Bottoms are hiking pants and capri length pants plus a skirt and dress pants for dinners.  Tops are layered starting with a tee, then wool long sleeve tee, mid weight fleece or quilted vest and rain coat for top layer.  In August we have been cool and hot so be prepared.  Shoes are waterproofed as is the backpack we take.  Have a great time.

• Like 2

Been to Alaska, Iceland and New Hampshire…..😉

Pack then unpack half and you should be good .  🤣

Alaska and ships have stores for about anything you might not pack.  Hair dryers etc in you stateroom.

The previous reply should just about cover your clothing items.  The ability to carry-ons only is fab!  The fear of lost luggage that is my worst nightmare!  I add a tiny bit of laundry detergent for unmentionables …wash, rinse, dry overnight.   Rewear, mix and match.  Clothes don’t get very dirty on a cruise.  
A personal bag for meds, money, paperwork, camera, disposable poncho(s).

Good luck!

• Like 2