Queens Grill Gratuity

DA-DG

We have only ever cruised QG once on QE and the Maitre'd only visited our table for the whole duration of the cruise only once. Quick hello and is everything to satisfaction and he was off and never once saw a chef or anyone to ask if we wanted anything off menu. Being first time we were very green on many things that we either didnt get or should have happened that didnt and there was certainly no great White Star service to encourage us to book QG again. In fact TBH honest the service and the whole experience was underwhelming. The suite was very nice but we have never been one for staying in our cabin/suite whatever cruise we are on so that was no great reason to book QG again. In fact the service by our waiter was no better than we have received  in PG or Britannia in the past just that the menu was better, We were never asked by waiter, head waiter or maitre'd about ordering off menu opr if we had any favourites that we would like to order.

majortom10 - we have travelled in all categories many times as you might guess with 53 voyages.  I couldn’t really say there is a lot of difference in the service we have received in all categories. They all have their slow moments but the staff are generally all caring.  Having said that both my wife and I find PG on whichever ship have mostly had the best atmosphere.  I can’t explain it and is better than we have found in QG, particularly on QM-2.  On this ship there are areas in QG where the tables are really sqeezed in and worse than in PG or Club Britannia. 

In PG the menu is almost identical to that in QG if not identical, but I do enjoy the off-menu aspect in QG.  On our recent QM-2 B2B to New York I could see the relief Maitre d’ buzzing between certain tables at lunchtime asking them what they wanted, but he never came to the back of the restaurant so you had to request his presence from a waiter. On one occasion he didn’t come so I went looking for him and he’d gone off duty.  A head waiter sorted it for us but they were reluctant to if the Maitre d’ was about. 

Nevertheless, in the first week I was able to order a chicken jalfezzi and in the second week a lamb bhuna!  Both were great.  On another, three of us on separate tables, with all this fancy food about, said tonight we could murder steak pie (no kidney), wilted spinach, chips and gravy.  We all thoroughly enjoyed it!

I think you might have to go on bended knee a bit for caviar, we didn’t!

The thread I started as taken a few twists and turns which is informative to hear about everyone’s experiences in the Grills.  Although my question was about gratuity, it was predicated on having a first time QG’s experience that I’m still sorting out in hindsight. 

Initially, I booked the QG for a larger suite not so much for “white star” service.  This later evolved into understanding the QG’s dining experience including an exceptional menu, quality of food, service etc. I thought we were well prepared but once onboard felt a little fish out of water.

Now I digress a little on a few negatives I found surprising.  I asked several questions of the main waiter such as how to order off the main menu and how to get QG’s b-fast in my room etc.  He was very short and impatient.   Note, he was the only person who created this vibe, however, I did notice that most staff don’t or won’t answer questions outside their direct “lane”.  How do you live and work on a ship for 10+ months and know nothing else about your floating world?  And, how is this white star service for Cunard?  That’s rhetorical😊. 

Another issue (related to gratuity) was when the wine porter made a frowny face several times, I ordered a basic drink vs a bottle of wine.  Somehow it was a disappointment to him that we don’t drink much.  Lastly, for a few items I requested- vanilla in my latte and a crab leg (we were in Alaksa for goodness sake)- NO CAN DO. 

On a positive note, there were several staff who were great and work very hard.  We ended up learning a ton from some frequent guests who suggested some tableside dishes to request.  I just felt “green” as majortom10 describes it.  Unsure if we got what we paid for and wondering if there’s a secret handshake in the Grills.  You all have cleared up the gratuity question for sure! 

Will we do it again?  Yes, certainly for the accommodations.  Next time instead of watching YouTube, think I’ll ask you generous folks on CruiseCritic!    

• Like 3

First time on Cunard and I had done my research and had had advice from others and so more or less knew what tomexpect.

I asked when unsure, but in an expectant way and we have never had a request turned down. Never.

We’re not bothered if the M'd doesn’t come our way ( there are those who 'do' the room and talk to every table where possible, and there is at least one, who doesn’t). We’re not bothered if we’re not asked if we want anything off menu (we are in fact, always asked every day) because we know we can ask or in fact, tell the Head Waiter what we would like.

The advice is on this board and no one who has read this board should be in any doubt what can be expected.

If I had been told 'no' to Alaskan crab I would said, make it crab then and if still no I would have had words with the M'd. For heavens sake I can get crab meat on a salad in the middle of the Indian Ocean!

I have come to the conclusion it’s a mindset. Be confident and expect. You paid for it and as long as you don’t expect anything totally left of field, you should get.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I would also add that usually requests need advance notice.

Yes. Ask lunchtime or before and the Head Waiter will let you know if it’s possible that night and if not, when.

I had a few dishes I wanted over the cruise and the HW let me know when. You do take the chance you miss a great Entree off the main menu but no problem.you can always ask for that another night.

You can also ask to see the following day’s menus to see if the next day would be a good 'off menu' day, lunch and or dinner.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DA-DG said:

The thread I started as taken a few twists and turns which is informative to hear about everyone’s experiences in the Grills.  Although my question was about gratuity, it was predicated on having a first time QG’s experience that I’m still sorting out in hindsight. 

Initially, I booked the QG for a larger suite not so much for “white star” service.  This later evolved into understanding the QG’s dining experience including an exceptional menu, quality of food, service etc. I thought we were well prepared but once onboard felt a little fish out of water.

Now I digress a little on a few negatives I found surprising.  I asked several questions of the main waiter such as how to order off the main menu and how to get QG’s b-fast in my room etc.  He was very short and impatient.   Note, he was the only person who created this vibe, however, I did notice that most staff don’t or won’t answer questions outside their direct “lane”.  How do you live and work on a ship for 10+ months and know nothing else about your floating world?  And, how is this white star service for Cunard?  That’s rhetorical😊. 

Another issue (related to gratuity) was when the wine porter made a frowny face several times, I ordered a basic drink vs a bottle of wine.  Somehow it was a disappointment to him that we don’t drink much.  Lastly, for a few items I requested- vanilla in my latte and a crab leg (we were in Alaksa for goodness sake)- NO CAN DO. 

On a positive note, there were several staff who were great and work very hard.  We ended up learning a ton from some frequent guests who suggested some tableside dishes to request.  I just felt “green” as majortom10 describes it.  Unsure if we got what we paid for and wondering if there’s a secret handshake in the Grills.  You all have cleared up the gratuity question for sure! 

Will we do it again?  Yes, certainly for the accommodations.  Next time instead of watching YouTube, think I’ll ask you generous folks on CruiseCritic!    

There is no secret handshake and yes, the thought of THE Cunard Queens Grill ( quickly doff cap to the almighty grail 🙂) gave me the shivers the first time even though I had read up as much as poss BUT, we had paid a lot of money for this and at the end of the day, it’s only a floating hotel and quite frankly, hotels   we’ve stayed in were just as swish, if not more so.

My additional advice to QG newbies is, be confident in the knowledge you are the customer and you have jolly well paid for this.

The only intimidation comes from your own reactions.

And if unsure, ask, ask and ask again ( especially of your butler).

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 5

I have enjoyed every cruise we have done on Cunard and am a lot poorer for it. However, if even half the reports on this board are accurate, one thing that comes across quite clearly is that the experience is not consistent. Partly that may be down to some passengers having an aggressive manner, which shouldn’t make a difference, but, human nature being what it is, inevitably does. But I suspect it is mainly down to some staff being much more competent and agreeable than others. I am not sure that the management keep a tight enough grip on this. Having said this I have found the vast majority of crew efficient, friendly, and very kind.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have enjoyed every cruise we have done on Cunard and am a lot poorer for it. However, if even half the reports on this board are accurate, one thing that comes across quite clearly is that the experience is not consistent. Partly that may be down to some passengers having an aggressive manner, which shouldn’t make a difference, but, human nature being what it is, inevitably does. But I suspect it is mainly down to some staff being much more competent and agreeable than others. I am not sure that the management keep a tight enough grip on this. Having said this I have found the vast majority of crew efficient, friendly, and very kind.

Not withstanding the fact I appreciate  not all staff and crew are up to QV standard, I also think it’s the perception some passengers have which is partly due to their misreading of staff/ crew reaction.

Some people are very ready to take the huff where no huff was meant.

• Like 3

As I've stated before, I'm convinced Cunard has two versions of each ship, a good one and a bad one, judging by some of the reports from trips that I've been on.

Luckily, I've always been on the good one and been well looked after.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

It’s not fawning. It’s called delivering the product which has been paid for.

And I paid for the same service but never received the same service as those who required fawning over.  Therefore, I never received the service that I had paid for.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, godfreyb said:

And I paid for the same service but never received the same service as those who required fawning over.  Therefore, I never received the service that I had paid for.....

Your comment

.too many of those types who the Maitre'd and head waiter have to fawn over.

is very interesting because had you wanted the same treatment, you could have got it by asking for attention similar to that described in  comment #47. 
I guess when staff come over to talk to us, you might consider that fawning when in reality, it’s communication born out of familiarity. Conversation, not fawning. We chat with the staff instead of being standoffish, which I have observed on quite a few occasions.

We often dine off menu and I frequently say what I want with the meal/ ingredients. When the staff write that down, it’s not fawning, it’s what we paid for and everyone can have the same attention if they wish. 

I am told many times ‘you are family' so if that makes me 'a type' because staff chat to us, then I’m proud to be one.🙂

• Like 2

I try to make a connection with the wait staff and they tend to appreciate that effort. Our recent M’d in PG is originally from Bulgaria and, by asking about himself, we received a detailed history of the Bulgarian monarchy over a couple dinners. It was kinda funny when he came back the second night to continue yesterday’s history lesson, I didn’t expect that!
To a third party, it probably looked like the M’d was fawning over us but we just made a connection. 
I find that most of the crew appreciate the attention from us pax and most like to talk about their background. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NE John said:

I try to make a connection with the wait staff and they tend to appreciate that effort. Our recent M’d in PG is originally from Bulgaria and, by asking about himself, we received a detailed history of the Bulgarian monarchy over a couple dinners. It was kinda funny when he came back the second night to continue yesterday’s history lesson, I didn’t expect that!
To a third party, it probably looked like the M’d was fawning over us but we just made a connection by me asking about himself. 
I find that most of the crew appreciate the attention from us pax and most like to talk about their background. 

Agree do it all the time especially with Md if he comes to table which he didn’t in two weeks on last voyage!

Following on from #51 we had a great rapport with our Head Waiter who came to table to chat regularly.  We even met him in Kings Court where I told him not to answer when I asked why Md always went to certain tables only and he gave a knowing laugh!

The one thing I will say is most NEW QG passengers, often new Cunard Passengers know absolutely nothing about ordering off menu.

On our last Cunard cruise in June, the people both sides were newbies  , no one told them anything about ordering off menu. Osman's " is there anything you want for tonight" went straight over their heads.  We had to explain it all to them about ordering off menu. If we had also been newbies,  no one would have ordered off menu all cruise. There is nothing anymore in any of Cunards literature or website about off menu. 

Cunard should do a better job, newbies have paid the same as regulars, and deserve the same service. As people have said ask and you will get.  Newbies don't know they can ask. Between the butler and M'D they should talk to all newbies, they need more tinme than regulars.

Passengers shouldn't have to rely on CD to tell them of their entitlements. 

• Like 1

On our very first time on Cunard, the wonderful Andrew Naylor asked if there was anything we would like the chefs to prepare for us. 
I have met others who as newbies were asked the same by their Head Waiters.

The Cunard I know does not seem to be the same as other Cunards.

Victoria2 - Andrew Naylor, now you are going back. He was the real deal!  For years he was in charge of QG on QE-2.  And do you remember the lovely Michael who took a kip every afternoon when QG closed by laying on the settee type seating in parts of the restaurant.  He had a favourite spot. He didn’t seem to want to go back to his cabin.

27 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

On our very first time on Cunard, the wonderful Andrew Naylor asked if there was anything we would like the chefs to prepare for us. 

Nonetheless, it should be for Cunard to make absolutely sure passengers new to the QG know what they are paying for. On our first trip, I had no idea what they really meant by ‘Is the menu all right?’ (Mind you if you’d seen the 8 page alc menu, you would find it hard to think of anything else.) A single sheet attached to the letter of introduction from the Grills Concierge would do it. It could end by saying, ‘Do please ask if there is anything else you would like.’

28 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I do apologise V2, but a minor correction is needed here.  You are, of course, referring to the undisputed King of the Flambé Cart, Andrew Nelder.  Like you, he was the first MD we met in the Britannia Grill on our first QE2 voyage.  He seemed absolutely determined to activate the smoke alarms at every opportunity - regardless of whichever meal it was.  A true Cunard legend!

We've never heard or experienced an M'D saying or explaining  in simple words to ourselves or to any new Cunarders,  " the chef will prepare what ever you want if there's nothing you fancy on the menu, just tell me in the morning or at lunch time"

Exlonders idea of a simple one page note as you arrive, guide to Cunard QG for new guuests is a simple but excellent idea

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fifer said:

I do apologise V2, but a minor correction is needed here.  You are, of course, referring to the undisputed King of the Flambé Cart, Andrew Nelder.  Like you, he was the first MD we met in the Britannia Grill on our first QE2 voyage.  He seemed absolutely determined to activate the smoke alarms at every opportunity - regardless of whichever meal it was.  A true Cunard legend!

Correction gladly received. You are of course correct. Wonderful man and a legendary M'd. 🙂

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

We've never heard or experienced an M'D saying or explaining  in simple words to ourselves or to any new Cunarders,  " the chef will prepare what ever you want if there's nothing you fancy on the menu, just tell me in the morning or at lunch time"

Well we have so it just shows all experiences are not the same.