Inaugural Sailing Observations

Keith1010

13 minutes ago, jsea said:

Clearly a marketing agreement between her and the line and I make no quibbles about that.

The thing I find interesting is you won’t see anything on her Insta profile about Crystal - they’re all those temporary reels or stories that disappear after 24 hours without a trace - seems strange to me that there’s nothing with a longer life than that as part of the deal

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have to correct myself as on deck 8 and 9 are the new sapphire suites not Aquamarine. 

I do want to add on Serenity I prefer Classic Aquamarine over the ones created in 2018. The classics are larger, have two desks and a coffee table which can be raised.  

Keith. 

We are booked in the 2018 design.  The two desks seem the main advantage to me of possibly switching to a classic.  But I prefer what looks to be a bigger shower (and no tub) on the 2018 design.  And the closet looks to have more cabinetry.  I didn't know about the coffee table, but the ability to raise it in the classic is an advantage if we want to ever eat in the room. 

One question I have is about the television placement.  In the classic it looks to right in front of the bed, but on the 2018 design its' to the side.  Does it fold out?  If not, is it difficult to see from the bed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seasack said:

For anyone on the ship do they still have the paper port guides available at the excursions desk the evening before you get into port?

The don't. The challenge has been they planned iPads for each guest room and they are not here. We are getting hard copy reflections.

Keith

22 minutes ago, tryber said:

We are booked in the 2018 design.  The two desks seem the main advantage to me of possibly switching to a classic.  But I prefer what looks to be a bigger shower (and no tub) on the 2018 design.  And the closet looks to have more cabinetry.  I didn't know about the coffee table, but the ability to raise it in the classic is an advantage if we want to ever eat in the room. 

One question I have is about the television placement.  In the classic it looks to right in front of the bed, but on the 2018 design its' to the side.  Does it fold out?  If not, is it difficult to see from the bed?

You are correct. In the classic Aquamarine the television is above the couch and directly across from the foot of the bed.

In the Aquamarine the TV can be pulled out and swiveled.

Keith

16 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

The don't. The challenge has been they planned iPads for each guest room and they are not here. We are getting hard copy reflections.

Keith

So Keith to be clear they will not be offering a hard copy and you can only get it on the supplied iPad in your room?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, seasack said:

So Keith to be clear they will not be offering a hard copy and you can only get it on the supplied iPad in your room?

I haven't asked but have seen no copies.  I am pretty certain they will have something on the iPad. I'll try to ask when I am down there.  Other things that will be on the iPad will be restaurant menus, connoisseur wines, reflections to name a few.

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

The thing I find interesting is you won’t see anything on her Insta profile about Crystal - they’re all those temporary reels or stories that disappear after 24 hours without a trace - seems strange to me that there’s nothing with a longer life than that as part of the deal

They do remain as a “highlight” near m the top of her page under “Crystal cruises”. She may have added this recently as I don’t recall seeing it earlier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tryber said:

We like the Classic. The TV is on the wall over the sofa and is very easy to see from the bed. The 2 desks are a must for us and so what if the shower is small, we take showers not s-h-o-w-e-r-s! Yes the coffee table deal is a real bonus.

So if I want to have any kind of port reference off the ship, I'll have to carry the iPad around town?  And they will work ashore?  Or if those stay aboard, does that mean being without any town information?

Sounds like a rush to technology that's a major fail when it comes to practicality.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

Keith

do you happen to know if the solo rooms have been refurbished or were they available on the old serenity?

thanks for checking this out for me and other passengers. Hope you were able to get an answer.

The solo rooms and the double occupancy rooms are all new.

Keith

A change has already been made. Those in the Aquamarine suites will be able to send up to five items per day to have pressed.  

For those of you who plan to sail Serenity or Symphony be sure to ask why did the crew members return.  Let me just say if you think that money is the reason you are wrong.  Now there are always exceptions but overall you will find out the main reasons easily.   Just ask.  It is very telling.

Keith

As in the past, while on board you can sign up for transfer service for debarking.

Complimentary transfers are offered to those guests on the air/sea program flying out on the end of the cruise to the Huberto Delgado/Lisbon International Airport and others who wish to utilize the program can sign up with the concierge at a cost of $50.00 per person.

Keith

The write-ups for the Butlers show the guest rooms with the butlers and suites saying attentive butler service.

So you say what is that?

Most of the services performed are the same.

Differences are the suites have the daily pressing and the daily canapés whereas the guest rooms do not and there are some additional amenities that vary by suite such as ordering from the specialty restaurants in the CP and Jr CP.  

We've gotten the opportunity to meet most of the butlers.  We know many of them from previous voyages where they were in other positions and some are new to Crystal but with butler experience.

Keith

Some have asked about start times for shows. Because of the reduced guest count expect one versus two showings of a particular show. On some nights you might have two different shows with a single performance of each show.

As to time if it is a one show night start time either 9:30 or 10:00 pm.

You ask why?

Many people are going to the restaurants 7:00, 7:30 or 8:00 pm and far fewer before that time so this allows most everyone to be able to get to a show if the would like to see the show.

Keith

I followed up about port maps and work is in progress to create paper port maps for the guests including a map and places to visit. In the meantime, they will have older maps as a contingency and hope this will be available by the time we are in Cartagena on August 8.

Keith

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:
Some have asked about start times for shows. Because of the reduced guest count expect one versus two showings of a particular show. On some nights you might have two different shows with a single performance of each show.

As to time if it is a one show night start time either 9:30 or 10:00 pm.

You ask why?

Many people are going to the restaurants 7:00, 7:30 or 8:00 pm and far fewer before that time so this allows most everyone to be able to get to a show if the would like to see the show.

Keith

Thanks, that is very useful information. What time are the dance sets with the Ambassador hosts?

Edited by TER777

3 minutes ago, NWX said:

Some better movies would be nice. King Kong? Mary Poppins? Really?

But it's about the posters.  The one for Kong is a classic, as is Gone With The Wind.

And as for Mary Poppins....well, Dame Julie Andrews IS the Godmother of the Serenity.

It's a nice subtle tribute that I've always appreciated.

• Like 1